[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
turns out these changes are coming across EU in July, to close large tax loop hole and level playing field for local vendors. obviously easier in EU using the one stop shop system. it cant be true the regulations were only published the week before Christmas, they've been around (and delayed) some time.
https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-e-commerce-vat-package.html

I wasn't aware of this thanks. Having read your linked article I did see that it has absolutely nothing to do with the new UK bill and is apparently trying to do the complete opposite of the bill we have just introduced.

When the reforms come into effect, the existing ‘Distance Selling Thresholds’ simplifications will be withdrawn. This will be accompanied by the roll out of a single EU VAT return, One Stop Shop (‘OSS’). Sellers shipping goods from their home country to customers across the EU may opt to use OSS to report all their pan-EU sales. This is instead of the current requirement of being VAT registered in each country once the seller has passed the relevant country distance selling threshold. This is an extension of the 2015 Mini One-Stop-Shop (‘MOSS’), which successfully trialled a single EU return for B2C sales of digital, telecoms and broadcast services (streaming media, e-books, apps etc.)

Implications: It’s important to note that no action is required until 2021. After July 2021, some e-commerce sellers will be able to close their foreign VAT registrations. They can instead complete a quarterly OSS return for their home country’s tax authority. Non-EU sellers may use OSS, too. OSS will list: sales by EU country, VAT % used, and VAT due. This VAT must be paid to the home country’s tax office.

It is trying to do (for EU members) the exact opposite of the bill rushed through parliament on 17th December (the detailed regulations being published a week after the bill was passed :facepalm:), whereby any company in the EU (and US) supplying into the UK will have to register with UK VAT in order to pay their VAT related to UK sales.

The only passing resemblance between the two things are the letters VAT.

Last edited:

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Well folks, looks like we're facing a damaging trade boycott from EU and US businesses after a new post-Brexit law changing the VAT system was rushed virtually unopposed through Parliament 8 days before Christmas

Did Tory MP's understand what they were voting for?

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/04/uk-faces-trade-boycott-after-brexit-vat-change/

Yesterday I read about companies refusing to sell to Britain because it was not worth the hassle.
https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampprojec...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know the rules thank you - they don't prevent me from continuing my plans. Let's have a little bet .... in Euros if you like .... I will be living ( full time ) in France by 01/01/31 ? I already have world wide heath insurance - thank you for your concern though.

Proper full health insurance (with the care provision) that is, not an annual travel policy....and for both. I believe you can join their system after 3 months of being a resident, which now comes after 5 years of living there with a visa... neither of which is a given or a right anymore.

Out of interest how much do you both pay for this insurance ? Always good to have options when mine is up for renewal.

I still maintain you will not retire there but I am not going to dwell on this for 12 years.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Arlene Foster said on the Andrew Marr Show that the Brexit arrangements which include an Irish Sea border are ‘A window of opportunity for Northern Ireland.’

That is akin to the captain of the Titanic saying that hitting the iceberg was a window of opportunity to test the lifeboats.

:wink:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Proper full health insurance (with the care provision) that is, not an annual travel policy....and for both. I believe you can join their system after 3 months of being a resident, which now comes after 5 years of living there with a visa... neither of which is a given or a right anymore.

Out of interest how much do you both pay for this insurance ? Always good to have options when mine is up for renewal.

I still maintain you will not retire there but I am not going to dwell on this for 12 years.

It does still amaze me some people think nothing has changed.

In the eyes of France the UK is now the same as the US, Australia, Japan etc, we're a third country. From January 2022 a visa is needed to just enter the EU travel area, there will be less friction to enter Thailand or Morocco. Yes that's how shit the deal is, this season its the Championship, next season we're in League one

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When was this opportunity? I don't believe it ever existed, France didn't even want us in the EEC.

I think you may find that [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] struggles a little with simple facts. Like the fact that on one post he voted for Brexit and on another he apparently voted against it ???

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good to see Big Sam is getting exactly what he voted for...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brexit--board-talks-sam-19566000

Brexit barriers
“The new regulations are a problem - I have found three players already who are capable of coming here, but they’re not allowed,” Allardyce explained recently, after the turn of the year marked the UK’s exit from the EU.

“It’s a shame. I won’t name the players but they’d have been a big help, but due to the new regulations and the situation, in terms of a permit, they were unable to come to this country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I wasn't aware of this thanks. Having read your linked article I did see that it has absolutely nothing to do with the new UK bill and is apparently trying to do the complete opposite of the bill we have just introduced.

really? better minds think otherwise. would have thought the thing to pick up on is how we are still following EU rules having left.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
really?
new UK rules: overseas sellers have to register for VAT with HMRC and VAT charged at point of sale; under £135 exemption gone; marketplaces to manage calculation and collection of VAT.
new EU rules: overseas sellers have to register for VAT with EU country or OSS and VAT charged at point of sale; under €150 exemptions gone; marketplaces to manage calculation and collection of VAT.

would have thought the thing to pick up on is how we are still following EU rules having left.

What you have done is exactly what you have done multiple times before and not only confused yourself, but managed to get it diametrically wrong. You have taken two pieces of legislation, completely separate, neither have any effect whatsoever on one another, one trying to unify VAT across national borders, the other pulling VAT out into national VAT schemes, and claim they are somehow linked.

A week ago, you were insisting that UK based financial services had access across the EU, whilst EU financial services had no access to UK markets. Again the complete opposite to what actually happened.

I'm sorry, but this happens so often, I can't help but wonder why. If it's not deliberate, it's certainly extremely unfortunate ???

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
What you have done is exactly what you have done multiple times before and not only confused yourself, but managed to get it diametrically wrong. You have taken two pieces of legislation, completely separate, neither have any effect whatsoever on one another, one trying to unify VAT across national borders, the other pulling VAT out into national VAT schemes, and claim they are somehow linked.

obviously we arent unifying VAT across borders. the article links another on the UK changes that notes "The EU is planning the same ecommerce VAT package from 1 July 2021" linking back.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
could you imagine someone moving on?

I have suspected for a while as I only know one poster that thick, but as you know, mods can't prove it, so what chance does a mere poster have unless, of course, someone is really really stupid.

17 years of pretending, down the drain, just like that, oops :lolol:

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
:lolol::lolol:

Eq_BDhPXIAcjkcr.jpeg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm always against 'Nige'. You do recognise that you're referring to eastern European countries who -- how shall we put this -- have had a somewhat difficult historical relationship with a larger entity towards the east? You do realise that that larger entity towards the east has been piling money in to those countries, stoking the nationalist/ethnocentric agenda? You do realise that that larger entity towards the east has been engaging in military adventurism? You do realise that 'Nige' and his cronies have been amply rewarded by that larger entity towards the east?

Machiavellian behaviour.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Farage has been saying that for a long time, he predicted that euro scepticism will grow in other countries when they looked over at the UK when in fact the opposite happened. They see the disaster, the deep divisions it has caused and huge cost to the economy and now support for the EU has never been stronger.

The problem with Nige is he talks a good game but it is, as with most right wing agitators, based largely on opinion and if you judge him on facts he has got most things wrong

In this clip from Feb 2020, he predicts (again) the german car industry will eventually cave in.

He was £10,000 sure Trump would win a second term too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports