Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
So you would support a referendum in, say, 2023?

I don't think there is any general political will to push to rejoin right now.
Before then, I suspect there will be a groundswell of discontent by both Remain and Leave voters, the latter because many will not recognise the (undefined) Brexit as the 'type' they voted for.

Those who simply wanted 'out' are likely to be somehow better off or at least financially unaffected... many others who are substantially worse off will not be happy with their lot.

I don't usually make predictions because there are many 'unknowns', but I think that, over time, this is the most likely scenario. I don't think you can put a timescale on it. Of course Brexiters will try to say otherwise.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it should be like the Olympics or World Cup.

Every 4 years, hokey-cokey anyone?

Have you ever thought that if you put as much effort into job-hunting that you put into setting up your multiple accounts on NSC and then spending years trying to pretend they are different people, you may be a little more successful and not have to spend every waking hour ........................

I don't want to state the bleedin' obvious as I think even you can see where I'm going with this :wink:

Obviously we have given up on the little Scrounging, Anti-Semitic, Racist, Homophobic, Glorifyer of football violence, Holocaust denying, Nazi apologist, trolling **** Ppf, but I still genuinely have hope for you, I suspect you're just a tortured soul in need of help :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Have you ever thought that if you put as much effort into job-hunting that you put into setting up your multiple accounts on NSC and then spending years trying to pretend they are different people, you may be a little more successful and not have to spend every waking hour ........................

I don't want to state the bleedin' obvious as I think even you can see where I'm going with this :wink:

Obviously we have given up on the little Scrounging, Anti-Semitic, Racist, Homophobic, Glorifyer of football violence, Holocaust denying, Nazi apologist, trolling **** Ppf, but I still genuinely have hope for you, I suspect you're just a tortured soul in need of help :thumbsup:

The incessant need for editing your posts is quite alarming.

Get it right first time GAP.

D

Deleted member 2719

RIP The European Union?

This is not a thread to wind people up, it's just I am sure some will want to throw some insults about so hence I put it straight in the pit.

If it stays friendly and becomes a good point of the topic, maybe a mod will put it on the mainboard???

I just felt we need a separate thread to pick out these forecasts.

Farage says the EU will be gone in 10 years whereas Lord Adonis thinks a whole lot different.

Put your predictions here.

https://youtu.be/LEiKyWRnjS0

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Option 1 - It goes from strength to strength, the 27 navigating ever closer union successfully and overcoming the structural problems relating to the Euro.

Option 2 - It will morph into a two-tier organisation, 1st tier members fully signed up to ever-closer union/ more integration (the majority) who can dominate and outvote the 2nd Tier members who sit outside the main group of nations don't want to surrender more sovereignty but feel unable to jump ship.

Option 3- It all goes tits up, fracturing completely.

Option 2 is my best guess.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
I expect it will muddle along much as it does at present, in need of reform but unable to establish a consensus about how that should be achieved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm with Nige on this one. When the less affluent countries see the UK being successful then they will follow. Its a house of cards scenario.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Didn't JRM predict that the benefits of Brexit won't fully appear for maybe 50 years ?.... I'd lump on there still being 27 at least in 10 years time.

Jan 30, 2008
Something for the Euro sceptics within the EU to get their teeth into , Denmark and the Netherlands will be monitoring the on going developments
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008

No you haven't , you sit there foaming at the mouth :)
Regards
DF

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The biggest mistake at the very beginning was NOT setting up a tripartite trading agreement between UK, Germany and France. A Northern European trading alliance. ( NEA ) The three most powerful European counterparts. To allow it to burgeon into this over large, over complicated, unwieldy bloc of 27 nations was federalism gone mad.
The three then could have jointly negotiated trading deals with other, smaller European neighbours and the rest of the world. Far simpler, much freer from all the different vested interest amongst 27 nations that clogs up so many current EU trade negotiations. Far, far less beaurocracy. Massively less cost. One central European bank, controlled by the big three. The UK would have had far more control in its manufacturing future/destiny and working together, these three could have combatted some of the industrial and technological kidnapping carried out by the Far East.
It was a massive opportunity misse

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Feel a bit sorry for Westdene, who clearly does not understand what Brexit is, now it is done. The rest, well, they just seem happy that remainers are not rather than joy at any new found freedoms or opportunities. What a bunch.
Clearly this deal is going to be changed, added to, amended over the coming years, bringing us ever closer to the EU, and it looks like we will be seeing our Parliament having to vote to accept new EU law equivalence every time the EU brings something else in, or face some form of sanctions.
These pricks will be aching for the good old days of being a member and having a veto before long.

Happy New Year.

But this sums it up completely. If Westdene, who is undoubtedly one of the most lucid Brexit supporters on here, can't get his head around what Brexit has done to his long held plans to retire in France, what chance do JCFG/POTG (whichever he's going to be today), Pasta, Chicken Run, Mouldy, Ppf etc have of understanding any aspect :dunce:

I don’t think anyone said you couldn’t buy property. But, it will be interesting if you try and stay in your property for more than 3 months, which given you have said you wish to retire there you most certainly will. I believe you will now need to apply for a year long visiting visa and get 5 continuous years before you can apply for a residency visa. You also need to show the means to pay for your stay. I therefore hope you have a current long term private healthcare policy which is transferable to France. You and your wife both have health issues, you have stated so on NSC, and taking out fresh health insurance at retirement age with health conditions will be financially crippling. I still stand by my belief you will not retire to France.

As for your daughter, she will be fine as long as her Erasmus place was secured before 31.12.2020. The EU are honouring all places arranged before this date. She’s fine, but others won’t be. And this is the crux really. You rarely see beyond your own nose when it comes to life; you have displayed this in numerous previous posts, your posts over Xmas regarding your, in my opinion, ill-advised trip to the West Country and also with the post I have quoted. I bet the west county people loved you arriving at the last minute from a area which was about to go into tier 4 and strutting around telling all and sundry you are exempt from wearing a mask.

Happy new year :thumbsup:

His 'exemption' came from the bus company.He told me he applied for it. No medical people involved.

Wow ..... what a lot of love from a bunch of remainers !!!! I considered not replying to make sure I didn't contribute to your remainer echo chamber but hell ... it's lockdown ... and I don;t have much work today so I might as well reply to all your bitter, ill-informed and condescending posts.

So in order :

Feel a bit sorry for Westdene, who clearly does not understand what Brexit is, now it is done. The rest, well, they just seem happy that remainers are not rather than joy at any new found freedoms or opportunities. What a bunch.
Clearly this deal is going to be changed, added to, amended over the coming years, bringing us ever closer to the EU, and it looks like we will be seeing our Parliament having to vote to accept new EU law equivalence every time the EU brings something else in, or face some form of sanctions.
These pricks will be aching for the good old days of being a member and having a veto before long.

Happy New Year.

Nice use of the word pricks .... thank you. Adult debate eh ? No need to feel sorry for me - I knew what I was voting for - LEAVING the EU - that we have done. How we've done it is open to debate ( well to adults anyway ! ). When you say equivalence you obviously mean when it suits us. For example, live animal exports are now going to be banned .... which the EU flatly refused to do .... thanks to the French, Dutch, Italians and Spanish mainly. Some things may require equivalence .... so what ?

But this sums it up completely. If Westdene, who is undoubtedly one of the most lucid Brexit supporters on here, can't get his head around what Brexit has done to his long held plans to retire in France, what chance do JCFG/POTG (whichever he's going to be today), Pasta, Chicken Run, Mouldy, Ppf etc have of understanding any aspect :dunce:

Thank you for the back handed compliment. I'm fully aware that my retirement plans need tweaking around the new rules but thank you for pointing it out.

I don’t think anyone said you couldn’t buy property. But, it will be interesting if you try and stay in your property for more than 3 months, which given you have said you wish to retire there you most certainly will. I believe you will now need to apply for a year long visiting visa and get 5 continuous years before you can apply for a residency visa. You also need to show the means to pay for your stay. I therefore hope you have a current long term private healthcare policy which is transferable to France. You and your wife both have health issues, you have stated so on NSC, and taking out fresh health insurance at retirement age with health conditions will be financially crippling. I still stand by my belief you will not retire to France.

As for your daughter, she will be fine as long as her Erasmus place was secured before 31.12.2020. The EU are honouring all places arranged before this date. She’s fine, but others won’t be. And this is the crux really. You rarely see beyond your own nose when it comes to life; you have displayed this in numerous previous posts, your posts over Xmas regarding your, in my opinion, ill-advised trip to the West Country and also with the post I have quoted. I bet the west county people loved you arriving at the last minute from a area which was about to go into tier 4 and strutting around telling all and sundry you are exempt from wearing a mask.

Happy new year :thumbsup:

I know the rules thank you - they don't prevent me from continuing my plans. Let's have a little bet .... in Euros if you like .... I will be living ( full time ) in France by 01/01/31 ? I already have world wide heath insurance - thank you for your concern though. As for my daughter, she doesn't start her course until this September so the placement isn't part of Erasmus - Sussex have ensured her that the placement is fine and will go ahead.

Nice of you to speak on behalf of the people of Devon - none of whom I'm sure you've spoken to. The landlady that rented us the cottage was very happy to do so - we left while B&H was in T2 and Devon was in T2. Equally there was no sign of B&H going to T4 when we left. Our landlady was just happy with the cash. Also, many businesses in Devon have been decimated - the restaurants we went to were overjoyed that we actually used them. I phoned and booked a table at a pub on New Years Day for three of us and the landlord said that I would double his takings for that week. Obviously Devon then went into T4 and to say he wasn't happy ( I can't repeat what he said about the restrictions as the NSC filter would block them ) is an understatement. So forgive me for sticking to the rule of law and assisting businesses to stay afloat .... businesses that were very happy to welcome me and my family. I'd suggest you stop being some stuck up German wannabe and think of what the rules/laws are and support businesses. They won't be there if you don't. As for the not seeing beyond my own nose - well, peoples opinions and actions are generally affected by their own experiences - as yours are. Then again, you think you fly carbon neutral :facepalm: !!!!

His 'exemption' came from the bus company.He told me he applied for it. No medical people involved.

Oh Dave, we've covered this before. GPs won't issue certificates ( I've asked ) yet the GOVERNMENT have determined the criteria for exemption. My lanyard came from a disability charity. I was stopped in a shop my a lady carrying an oxygen cylinder and mask who said she'd been verbally abused for not wearing a mask ( mask shamers are lovely people .... not ). So I told her how to get a lanyard that shows she is exempt - something tat has preventing me getting any abuse and indeed thanks from some shop staff saying it means it's clear to them that I'm exempt. I suggest if you don't like those criteria then you take them up with Boris. It's telling that you were saying during our conversation back then you were suggesting that the Czech Republic had the virus under control BECAUSE of masks .... hmmm .... that went well didn't it ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As you so rightly say, when lockdown and boredom set in :wink:

Thank you for the back handed compliment. I'm fully aware that my retirement plans need tweaking around the new rules but thank you for pointing it out.

'Tweaking' is certainly an interesting way of describing the process of changing citizenship.

I already have world wide heath insurance - thank you for your concern though.

If you pay for that privately, then you will already be seeing the rise in premiums as of last Friday, even at your current age and health. Unless of course it's a benefit of the job, in which case they'll be seeing the rises and that is really an excellent benefit (until you move jobs or retire, of course).

As for my daughter, she doesn't start her course until this September so the placement isn't part of Erasmus - Sussex have ensured her that the placement is fine and will go ahead.

Have Sussex explained how this is going to be done given there is currently no replacement for Erasmus, no timescale for the suggested replacement Turin (although there has been talk of September, which may be a bit touch and go), no countries or academic establishments signed up for it, no processes or procedures for gaining a place on it when it arrives, and no indication of any additional costs. May be worth checking out these bits with them :thumbsup:

Nice of you to speak on behalf of the people of Devon - none of whom I'm sure you've spoken to. The landlady that rented us the cottage was very happy to do so - we left while B&H was in T2 and Devon was in T2. Equally there was no sign of B&H going to T4 when we left. Our landlady was just happy with the cash. Also, many businesses in Devon have been decimated - the restaurants we went to were overjoyed that we actually used them.

I bet that one that you reviewed on the Restaurant thread that had closed 6 months prior to your visit was overjoyed, if somewhat surprised :)

Oh Dave, we've covered this before. GPs won't issue certificates ( I've asked ) yet the GOVERNMENT have determined the criteria for exemption. My lanyard came from a disability charity.

And while you're here with nothing much to do, I have asked this question a few times over the last few months, just out of curiosity, but never managed to find an answer. The medical condition that means you can't wear a mask, does it also stop you wearing a visor ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wow ..... what a lot of love from a bunch of remainers !!!! I considered not replying to make sure I didn't contribute to your remainer echo chamber but hell ... it's lockdown ... and I don;t have much work today so I might as well reply to all your bitter, ill-informed and condescending posts.

So in order :

Nice use of the word pricks .... thank you. Adult debate eh ? No need to feel sorry for me - I knew what I was voting for - LEAVING the EU - that we have done. How we've done it is open to debate ( well to adults anyway ! ). When you say equivalence you obviously mean when it suits us. For example, live animal exports are now going to be banned .... which the EU flatly refused to do .... thanks to the French, Dutch, Italians and Spanish mainly. Some things may require equivalence .... so what ?

I'll just take the part responding to me. I did consider not using Pricks in my post, but I had just read comments from JCFG and Pastafarian so it seemed appropriate. If I was just commenting on you, or exchanging with you I would not have used it.

I feel for you because I don't think you realise how much more difficult and expensive your plans to retire to France have become, and I think it's going to be a slow and painful realisation process for you to go through. You seem to have a "EU BAD, UK GOOD" mentality, so maybe LEAVING the EU is all you need for comfort.

Banning live animal exports is far from being drafted up, it is a consultation process running till the end of this month, begun before the deal was struck which may or may not affect the feasibility of doing it, I have not dug into the deal too much yet to know.
Banning live exports crossing from southern France to northern Spain could be counter productive to animal welfare, that is the reason for the EU not having an outright ban, it could lead to longer journeys for animals on mainland Europe. What they have done is restrict the hours of containment and the space given, but I would like this to be better still.
This could be an issue for animals in Northern Ireland, if the nearest slaughter house is in the ROI, would they be sent there, or face a longer journey to a slaughter house within N.I.?

I honestly think that at some point it is going to hit you, it has hit most of the others, which is why all they do is gloat about remainers pain, it's all they have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here