Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Despite the dreadful week, there does seem to be a clear strategy here. Boris is clearly aiming to be so "balls to the wall" on Brexit that The Brexit Party itself will be nullified in any General Election.

His first hurdle will be how to handle the 31st October deadline. Assuming that he does comply with the new law, he will at least be able to fight the GE by saying his hand was forced and that he simply had no choice. That would even be true and would probably prevent TBP eating into the Conservative vote too badly.

His second hurdle, and I would suggest this is likely to be a bigger problem, is fighting a GE against the backdrop of a fractured party. Over the years pollsters have consistently found that a divided party is political poison. Losing your brother and another minister within a few days plays into that narrative. However, a GE could be as much as a couple of months away. That could even be forgotten by then when so much is happening.

If I was Johnson I would get the extension and then within about 15 seconds go into full electioneering mode, using the fact that I was forced into doing it by the dark and undemocratic forces of remain that we, the people led by me, the messiah, will together grind into the soil in glorious and perpetual victory. The only thing I wouldn't be sure about is the music. Something by Elgar I suppose.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If I was Johnson I would get the extension and then within about 15 seconds go into full electioneering mode, using the fact that I was forced into doing it by the dark and undemocratic forces of remain that we, the people led by me, the messiah, will together grind into the soil in glorious and perpetual victory. The only thing I wouldn't be sure about is the music. Something by Elgar I suppose.

'The Eton Rifles' by The Jam. Got to be.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I actually suspect we don't have the same job. Rather you come from the process and enforcement side ( i.e. you're something to do with Border Force ) while I come from the technology side. Only reason I know a bit about it is that I read about it from an article in the IT trade press - Computing I think. It interested me because of the facial recognition tech. So I did a little more research. I agree 'no questions' in it's exact definition is correct but let's be honest, the questions asked by a human at the desk are slightly defunct nowadays with the internet being able to provide someone with a decent answer to any question just as long as they remember their research.

Fair point well made but it’s still an offshoot from the point I was making, which was the mismatch between the public perception of the work done at the border and what actually goes on there. Good input though. Thanks for the civilised chat.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Just when you think it's been another depressing week for the leave campaign and voters, with more resignations including close family members, Johnson's plans falling apart, Leave voters finding out what the word 'advisory' means (I think 'parliamentary democracy' may take a while longer), and all appears darkness and despair,

along comes one of your polls or [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION]'s job adverts to lift the spirits and fortify them for the week ahead :thumbsup:

No its not about knowing what advisory means more about why its being reminded of by Remain posters .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If you're referring to me, I didn't say that I don't talk to the 'majority' of them, only the frustrated little Englanders (like yourself) who became frothing-at-the-mouth Leavers, yet had previously not said anything against the EU.
You really need to read more carefully.
Or just...read.

Try as you might to try and insult me with your faux know it all rhetoric I’m made of sterner stuff son. [emoji23]

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Try as you might to try and insult me with your faux know it all rhetoric I’m made of sterner stuff son. [emoji23]

I don't need to try to insult you - you insult your own intelligence by making a comment that refers to something I posted, yet clearly hadn't read properly in the first instance.
I'm glad you're made of sterner stuff, as it must be hard being you. :)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't need to try to insult you - you insult your own intelligence by making a comment that refers to something I posted, yet clearly hadn't read properly in the first instance.
I'm glad you're made of sterner stuff, as it must be hard being you. :)

Still failing miserably [emoji23][emoji23], good luck at work tomorrow petal not speaking to the frothy mouths [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Still failing miserably [emoji23][emoji23], good luck at work tomorrow petal not speaking to the frothy mouths [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks for the fab advice. :)

Oh, and at least you've finally grasped that I wasn't referring to a 'majority' of colleagues, just the decidedly iffy ones.
You know the type. ;)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Completely agree Mouldy.

What I can't stand about this thread, is Remainers trying every argument in the book to get their way, quoting this 'fact' and that 'fact'. The Referendum was only advisory, we didn't vote for this, etc, etc. Then they start calling us names, and challenging our intelligence. I'm cleverer than you, I know more than you, you must be thick to have voted Leave, etc. etc. One particular poster is fond of using the term 'moron'. What a lovely chap, and no doubt not as brave without the protection of the Internet.

I have personal reasons for wanting to leave the EU. I have friends who feel the same way. Lack of good school places available to British nationals, trades people with families to feed being constantly undercut by EU workers, people on NHS waiting lists for months because of health tourism.

If we do leave the EU, I'm going to be very happy. If we don't, for me, democracy has died.

(By the way Remainers, don't bother wasting your time spending hours replying to this. Don't use your clever words, 'funny' putdowns and 'facts'. Don't pat each other on the back for the smartest way you can attack someone who has a different opinion to you. I'm not reading another post on this thread).
So you believe leaving the EU will improve:-

You're personal wealth and earning power.
The standard of education.
&
A faster NHS..

If I believed that would be the end result I too would want to leave the EU.

Sadly though I'm yet to see or hear anything from those in charge of Brexit to have me believe:-

Any financial 'feel good' factor will be anything other than incredibly short-lived.
Reducing immigration is a positive, quite the reverse.
&
The NHS won't be picked apart by American health/insurance companies.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Laughable at best but that's Watford bloke and the rest of the word spinners for you LEAVE MEANS LEAVE
regards
DF

In saying 'Leave means leave' you are quoting someone who presented a leave deal back to the House saying 'This means leave.' At which point the ERG said 'No, that leave doesn't mean leave' and voted against it, thus proving the original statement to be the meaningless drivel most of us knew it to be when she said it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“According to a survey by Village Hotel Club, 52% of us think jam should go on scones first, followed by the cream. ”

WTF? Further evidence that 52% of the U.K. population are morons.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The NHS won't be picked apart by American health/insurance companies.

im yet to see or hear any reason why EU protects our NHS from the evil of Amerian healthcare. only a few years ago there were protests the EU-US trade deal also meaning the end of the NHS as we know it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here