Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rudd had it coming, she needed fishing out a long time ago, she was a hard remainer and even argued her point live on the tv debate.
Good riddence.

Murray, this bunch are like a pack of hounds baying for blood.
They keep trying to persuade themselves that they are acting in the public interest, well their not, they are just living in a bubble.

The public voted Leave, you know It, I know it and 17.4m know it, but the visionless can't even see that.
You right in not wasting time In these people, I will let them spend time convincing themselves, they tend to like doing that.

I take it your week off from this thread doesn't start until tomorrow then :lol:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Your time is up mouldy, you can ramble as much shit as you want but we are taking back control :wave:

Just as long as you know, it's Democracy you've called time on, with a tremendous arrogance, and seemingly with pleasure to boot.

For all of the vitriol on this thread, all people wanted was to believe that when they were asked to vote on something, that their vote counted for something.

You taking pleasure in the fact that it doesn't is somewhat shortsighted. You are a voter too. My vote means nothing. So neither does yours.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Despite the dreadful week, there does seem to be a clear strategy here. Boris is clearly aiming to be so "balls to the wall" on Brexit that The Brexit Party itself will be nullified in any General Election.

His first hurdle will be how to handle the 31st October deadline. Assuming that he does comply with the new law, he will at least be able to fight the GE by saying his hand was forced and that he simply had no choice. That would even be true and would probably prevent TBP eating into the Conservative vote too badly.

His second hurdle, and I would suggest this is likely to be a bigger problem, is fighting a GE against the backdrop of a fractured party. Over the years pollsters have consistently found that a divided party is political poison. Losing your brother and another minister within a few days plays into that narrative. However, a GE could be as much as a couple of months away. That could even be forgotten by then when so much is happening.

As I said in an earlier post, if there is to be another vote, I would sooner have a second referendum, as it would provide an update on national thinking on the defining issue of the day. A GE bundles up other issues and as such, muddies the water when it comes to claiming a mandate in anything pertaining to Brexit. However, I'm really rather excited about the GE to come. I'm a sucker for all this stuff and always pull an all-nighter where elections are concerned. The next one is more or less impossible to call. The Tories might be eviscerated in Scotland. Their vote might be hammered by TBP. Labour and LibDems might split down the middle and leave the Conservatives an easy stroll to a majority. We could end up with the mother of all hung parliaments. Who knows? Certainly not me.

It's really a shame that it's actually massively important. Stops me really enjoying it for the theatre that it is, as I can't help but worrying when that handcart is going to show up and take us all the hell.

Handcarts are SO last week, we are going on a Boris Bike.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just as long as you know, it's Democracy you've called time on, with a tremendous arrogance, and seemingly with pleasure to boot.

For all of the vitriol on this thread, all people wanted was to believe that when they were asked to vote on something, that their vote counted for something.

You taking pleasure in the fact that it doesn't is somewhat shortsighted. You are a voter too. My vote means nothing. So neither does yours.

You were lied to and didn’t see through it, £350m, Turkey etc. Can’t help you on that. Democracy is never static, never a point in time, it moves onwards and upwards. 3.5 years later and it’s all getting very clear

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

Giving control back to parliament. No, not like that. You are doing it wrong.

Democracy. No, not like that. You are doing wrong.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I will let them spend time convincing themselves, they tend to like doing that.

'I will let them'. Well thankyou, oh our gracious lord!

You are the boss of no-one. Back in your box now, there's a good little thing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Have any of you travelled back into the country lately? If so, did you take a moment to look at the signs about the electronic gates? We have recently started admitting nationals from America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea and Singapore though these gates. These nationals are now admitted with no questions asked.

You've rather over simplified how they work. The scanners scan the biometric data in the passport and take a photo of the persons face attempting to enter. A comparison is then made to check they are one and the same person. Not only does a computer carry out this check so does an immigration officer - they just aren't in front of you. Along side that a check is done of numerous databases such as the black list. It also checks that the traveller has the correct visa if one is required. So it's hardly letting people in 'no questions asked'.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The current set of MPs are an absolute disgrace beyond belief.

They are totally selfish with their own agendas, perhaps we should have a General Election to get rid of them.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You've rather over simplified how they work. The scanners scan the biometric data in the passport and take a photo of the persons face attempting to enter. A comparison is then made to check they are one and the same person. Not only does a computer carry out this check so does an immigration officer - they just aren't in front of you. Along side that a check is done of numerous databases such as the black list. It also checks that the traveller has the correct visa if one is required. So it's hardly letting people in 'no questions asked'.

From the level of detail in your reply, I suspect you and I may have the same job. In which case, greetings and regards to you. While you are correct in outlining the process, I am also correct in stating that no questions are actually asked (unless the passenger is rejected and an officer is required to complete the assessment).

In any event, this is slightly tangential to my point. The majority of people that will admit to immigration being their primary concern will not share our understanding of the processes at play. My point is that those same people would most likely be dismayed if they were aware of how the border operates currently and, possibly, following our departure.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was a matter of time for Rudd tbh.

Will more go?

Without a doubt. They'll be many more.

It's hard for one nation Tories to stay now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The current set of MPs are an absolute disgrace beyond belief.

They are totally selfish with their own agendas, perhaps we should have a General Election to get rid of them.

Strangely enough, the only agenda many seem to have now is standing down and not seeking re-election.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
You were lied to and didn’t see through it, £350m, Turkey etc. Can’t help you on that. Democracy is never static, never a point in time, it moves onwards and upwards. 3.5 years later and it’s all getting very clear

images

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"On Friday, Johnson said he would not seek another extension from Brussels, as the incoming law compels him to do if no agreement is in place by 19 October. “I will not. I don’t want a delay,” Johnson said".

Big baby. Blood on the streets? More like tears on the pillow.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
The

Except Corbyn has been elected twice as Labour leader, once with 59% of the whole parties vote,the second time by 61% of Labour members in their entirety.

Haha yes he has.
I’m a Tory, and a don’t care in or outer, just want it sorted.
BUT as a trade union member I got to vote in the Labour leadership votes.
I voted for Corbyn purely because I knew that would stop Labour getting back as a government, as did many of my colleagues.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

You keep repeating this, once again - If it wasn’t for the ERG we would be out.

Jan 30, 2008
Completely agree Mouldy.

What I can't stand about this thread, is Remainers trying every argument in the book to get their way, quoting this 'fact' and that 'fact'. The Referendum was only advisory, we didn't vote for this, etc, etc. Then they start calling us names, and challenging our intelligence. I'm cleverer than you, I know more than you, you must be thick to have voted Leave, etc. etc. One particular poster is fond of using the term 'moron'. What a lovely chap, and no doubt not as brave without the protection of the Internet.

I have personal reasons for wanting to leave the EU. I have friends who feel the same way. Lack of good school places available to British nationals, trades people with families to feed being constantly undercut by EU workers, people on NHS waiting lists for months because of health tourism.

If we do leave the EU, I'm going to be very happy. If we don't, for me, democracy has died.

(By the way Remainers, don't bother wasting your time spending hours replying to this. Don't use your clever words, 'funny' putdowns and 'facts'. Don't pat each other on the back for the smartest way you can attack someone who has a different opinion to you. I'm not reading another post on this thread).

Spot on , they're so far up their own arses it really is laughable ,all potential Parliamentarians i'd vote for them wouldnt you
Regards
DF

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Completely agree Mouldy.

What I can't stand about this thread, is Remainers trying every argument in the book to get their way, quoting this 'fact' and that 'fact'. The Referendum was only advisory, we didn't vote for this, etc, etc. Then they start calling us names, and challenging our intelligence. I'm cleverer than you, I know more than you, you must be thick to have voted Leave, etc. etc. One particular poster is fond of using the term 'moron'. What a lovely chap, and no doubt not as brave without the protection of the Internet.

I have personal reasons for wanting to leave the EU. I have friends who feel the same way. Lack of good school places available to British nationals, trades people with families to feed being constantly undercut by EU workers, people on NHS waiting lists for months because of health tourism.

If we do leave the EU, I'm going to be very happy. If we don't, for me, democracy has died.

(By the way Remainers, don't bother wasting your time spending hours replying to this. Don't use your clever words, 'funny' putdowns and 'facts'. Don't pat each other on the back for the smartest way you can attack someone who has a different opinion to you. I'm not reading another post on this thread).

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here