Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Completely agree Mouldy.

What I can't stand about this thread, is Remainers trying every argument in the book to get their way, quoting this 'fact' and that 'fact'. The Referendum was only advisory, we didn't vote for this, etc, etc. Then they start calling us names, and challenging our intelligence. I'm cleverer than you, I know more than you, you must be thick to have voted Leave, etc. etc. One particular poster is fond of using the term 'moron'. What a lovely chap, and no doubt not as brave without the protection of the Internet.

I have personal reasons for wanting to leave the EU. I have friends who feel the same way. Lack of good school places available to British nationals, trades people with families to feed being constantly undercut by EU workers, people on NHS waiting lists for months because of health tourism.

If we do leave the EU, I'm going to be very happy. If we don't, for me, democracy has died.

(By the way Remainers, don't bother wasting your time spending hours replying to this. Don't use your clever words, 'funny' putdowns and 'facts'. Don't pat each other on the back for the smartest way you can attack someone who has a different opinion to you. I'm not reading another post on this thread).

So you don't do 'facts'? Okay. Cheerio.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
L
Completely agree Mouldy.

What I can't stand about this thread, is Remainers trying every argument in the book to get their way, quoting this 'fact' and that 'fact'. The Referendum was only advisory, we didn't vote for this, etc, etc. Then they start calling us names, and challenging our intelligence. I'm cleverer than you, I know more than you, you must be thick to have voted Leave, etc. etc. One particular poster is fond of using the term 'moron'. What a lovely chap, and no doubt not as brave without the protection of the Internet.

I have personal reasons for wanting to leave the EU. I have friends who feel the same way. Lack of good school places available to British nationals, trades people with families to feed being constantly undercut by EU workers, people on NHS waiting lists for months because of health tourism.

If we do leave the EU, I'm going to be very happy. If we don't, for me, democracy has died.

(By the way Remainers, don't bother wasting your time spending hours replying to this. Don't use your clever words, 'funny' putdowns and 'facts'. Don't pat each other on the back for the smartest way you can attack someone who has a different opinion to you. I'm not reading another post on this thread).

Your reasons for wanting to leave, are basically, you’re a xenophobe
a fear of foreigners. But, well done for admitting it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Despite the dreadful week, there does seem to be a clear strategy here. Boris is clearly aiming to be so "balls to the wall" on Brexit that The Brexit Party itself will be nullified in any General Election.

His first hurdle will be how to handle the 31st October deadline. Assuming that he does comply with the new law, he will at least be able to fight the GE by saying his hand was forced and that he simply had no choice. That would even be true and would probably prevent TBP eating into the Conservative vote too badly.

His second hurdle, and I would suggest this is likely to be a bigger problem, is fighting a GE against the backdrop of a fractured party. Over the years pollsters have consistently found that a divided party is political poison. Losing your brother and another minister within a few days plays into that narrative. However, a GE could be as much as a couple of months away. That could even be forgotten by then when so much is happening.

As I said in an earlier post, if there is to be another vote, I would sooner have a second referendum, as it would provide an update on national thinking on the defining issue of the day. A GE bundles up other issues and as such, muddies the water when it comes to claiming a mandate in anything pertaining to Brexit. However, I'm really rather excited about the GE to come. I'm a sucker for all this stuff and always pull an all-nighter where elections are concerned. The next one is more or less impossible to call. The Tories might be eviscerated in Scotland. Their vote might be hammered by TBP. Labour and LibDems might split down the middle and leave the Conservatives an easy stroll to a majority. We could end up with the mother of all hung parliaments. Who knows? Certainly not me.

It's really a shame that it's actually massively important. Stops me really enjoying it for the theatre that it is, as I can't help but worrying when that handcart is going to show up and take us all the hell.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
They are doing in power what they did in opposition, lurch to the right. It was a mistake then and it is a mistake now.

It's what most sensible people expected all along, leaving the EU was simply a mechanism for the far right of the Tory party to take them into a different place.

In parallel trying to con the general public with a spending spree.

So you do you think Labour have lurched to the left or not.?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where do you find Bovril queue on a caravan park site? Incidentally we were held up in the traffic after that crash in the A303 yesterday we moved 1/10th mile in 2 hours then the police decided to close the road and turned everybody around.

It was a joke.
The caravan site I go to in France has a satellite dish on each caravan, so I'm surprised you went to a backwards site in Cornwall with a communal aerial.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Completely agree Mouldy.

I mean, I could point you to information about how all that bit in the middle, you know, the thinly veiled xenophobia, is simply factually incorrect but I’m sure you’d simply ignore it (god forbid your opinions be swayed on the basis on evidence and facts).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Completely agree Mouldy.

I bet you do.

My husband works for a firm where the majority of their customers are in Europe, so their jobs are in line to go, if we leave. Thousands of others are also at risk.
Swings and roundabouts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was quite warm and comfortable but not sure that I will do it again. It was one of The Sun £9 deals, which in itself is a take on as you are bound to pay for other things like electric gas etc and the total cost for 3 rose to £93 but still cheap for 4 nights. The downside was we booked 2 nights at a pub in Shepton Mallett for Friday and Saturday nights, to break the journey home, but on arrival we found the pub shut with a notice on the door saying it had been repossessed by the landlords (probably Enterprise) so had to find alternative accommodation, which really p....d off my wife.

The Sun! That explains everything.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interesting that she has resigned from the cabinet and the Conservative party on the basis of the treatment of her colleagues AND that she believes leaving the EU with a deal isn't the government's main objective.

D

Deleted member 2719

We were in Cornwall, first week of August. I like to swim in the sea. It was still fairly 'fresh'. The idea of spending the first week of September in a Caravan near the Lizard (at your age) would be enough to drive me into a darkened room where only applying dubbin to a pair of my old boots (fortunately they are not mouldy) would restore my equilibrium.

Hats off to you :bowdown:

Yeah, I bet you would love to spread dubbin all over me.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Interesting that she has resigned from the cabinet and the Conservative party on the basis of the treatment of her colleagues AND that she believes leaving the EU with a deal isn't the government's main objective.

Rightly it is all falling apart for the narcissistic, duplicitous PM.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
One small thing that's been bothering me. For those that are prepared to admit that immigration policy was their primary motivation in voting to leave, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but you are almost certainly fooling yourself if you think anything will significantly change as a result of our departure.

Have any of you travelled back into the country lately? If so, did you take a moment to look at the signs about the electronic gates? We have recently started admitting nationals from America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea and Singapore though these gates. These nationals are now admitted with no questions asked. You may consider all of these nationals to be the "right" foreigners but let's consider a single possible point of contention here. American healthcare costs can be ruinous. The NHS will not investigate a person's entitlement to treatment before offering it. They are clinicians; not border officials. This means that American nationals now how a potential pathway to medical treatment that has been made much simpler by the removal of any human interaction at the border.

Also, immigration policy is still largely driven by the requirements of business and higher education establishments. If EU migration is restricted, it is almost certain that numbers will simply be increased from elsewhere to offset this at the behest of business lobbyists. Similarly, if we enter into trade deal negotiations with, say, India, you can bet that UK entry and visas will be very near the top of their list of demands.

Finally, are you assuming that Border Force will receive an increase in funding to deliver the standard of service you expect? Increased enforcement work to detect those here illegally? Greater investment in cutters to intercept threats in our waters? Greater training to assist a relatively junior workforce that was deskilled in order to offload all those older, more experienced (and therefore more expensive) staff? Best of luck with that.

Oh! And finally. For those of you that like to repeat "Australian points based system" on a loop, we've actually had a variant of that in place for over a decade now, since entry clearances were switched to the "tier" system in the mid-noughties. Are you happy with how that's going? Did you even know it had happened?

Immigration is the reddest of herrings in the Brexit debate.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is incredible to think that right of centre, pro-Union, pro-EU establishment, middle class types have just been disenfranchised. These are the sort of voters that gave us 18 years of Tory government in my teens and twenties.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is incredible to think that right of centre, pro-Union, pro-EU establishment, middle class types have just been disenfranchised. These are the sort of voters that gave us 18 years of Tory government in my teens and twenties.

They do appear to have thrown away the label of being the party of business

Pissed off the Police force by attempting to politicise it for the case of no deal.

Bent over backwards to appease their members at the expense of the electorate.

D

Deleted member 2719

Amber Rudd resigns from the cabinet, tick tock

Why have an election when the Tories are tearing themselves apart ???

Rudd's not even one of the staunch Remainers, very much a middle of the road Tory.

The Tories are now The Brexit Party - there's a cigarette paper's gap between the two parties, and no point them delaying their merger. Farage might as well be in charge of these binners.

Rudd had it coming, she needed fishing out a long time ago, she was a hard remainer and even argued her point live on the tv debate.
Good riddence.

Completely agree Mouldy.

Murray, this bunch are like a pack of hounds baying for blood.
They keep trying to persuade themselves that they are acting in the public interest, well their not, they are just living in a bubble.

The public voted Leave, you know It, I know it and 17.4m know it, but the visionless can't even see that.
You right in not wasting time In these people, I will let them spend time convincing themselves, they tend to like doing that.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Rudd had it coming, she needed fishing out a long time ago, she was a hard remainer and even argued her point live on the tv debate.
Good riddence.

Murray, this bunch are like a pack of hounds baying for blood.
They keep trying to persuade themselves that they are acting in the public interest, well their not, they are just living in a bubble.

The public voted Leave, you know It, I know it and 17.4m know it, but the visionless can't even see that.
You right in not wasting time In these people, I will let them spend time convincing themselves, they tend to like doing that.

Your time is up mouldy, you can ramble as much shit as you want but we are taking back control :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here