Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have a Brexit tendency, but voted Remain as that's what my sons want. It's more their future than mine. Having seen the efforts of all our MPs (including the one desperately trying to cling to her salary despite being jailed over a speeding crime) over the last couple of years I'm beginning to think I'd rather have some faceless Europeans making our laws than UK Parliament. I'm appalled at all the poor behaviour, blatant opportunism and 'me first' politicking that has made UK politics a laughing stock.
P.S. Don't bother with offering up names of decent MPs because I have had enough of ALL of them, without exception.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The debate in parliament actually seems far more civilised this afternoon as MPs fumble around in the constitutional dark. Finding it a real refreshing change from the recent shouty norm. People actually seem to be listening to each other's points.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The debate in parliament actually seems far more civilised this afternoon as MPs fumble around in the constitutional dark. Finding it a real refreshing change from the recent shouty norm. People actually seem to be listening to each other's points.

They would have to work like this all the time if we had proportional representation. I'm all for it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a very odd vibe. All very polite and conciliatory. All very REASONABLE, and totally at odds with the braying bearpit that's gone before. It's like the prospect of having free votes has finally forced them to start acting like grown-ups.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well you'll never find anyone who says - 'hey, I love bureaucrats'. But just to introduce a bit of balance, this was a claim made by Nick Clegg a few years back

"The total size of the European bureaucracy is about exactly the same size as the number of people employed by Derbyshire County Council. Some super-state!"

Now he was being a bit naughty with the figures (he's a politician and was in a debate with a guy called Farage) but the 'fact' is that the number of these specimens (given the reach, budget and powers of the EU, especially when compared with Derbyshire County Council) is relatively tiny.

Vote and support Leave for all sorts of reasons, but the sheer size of the EU civil service is really not a good one.

Not really the point I was making.
The poster claimed that he voted Remain because he didn't much care for bureaucracy. Voting on that basis was surely the worst of two evils.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a very odd vibe. All very polite and conciliatory. All very REASONABLE, and totally at odds with the braying bearpit that's gone before. It's like the prospect of having free votes has finally forced them to start acting like grown-ups.

Hang on, has it been confirmed no whips for the votes this evening? I thought there was going to be whips on both sides...?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Listening to 5Live earlier and they had a discussion between 6 students all supporting one each of 6 possible indicative votes. It did not go well, three Leavers and 3 Remainers and none of them were willing to give ground on anything. Talk of a second referendum or putting May's deal to a second referendum was met with squealing and anguish.

I think they know if there was a second vote we would stay by a large margin.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wonderful intervention by Nick Boles with the equivalent of a vicious upper cut to Rees-Mogg in Parliamentary terms. Amazing scenes in Parliament as government and opposition benches supporting and agreeing while Tories turn rabidly on each other.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have a Brexit tendency, but voted Remain as that's what my sons want. It's more their future than mine. Having seen the efforts of all our MPs (including the one desperately trying to cling to her salary despite being jailed over a speeding crime) over the last couple of years I'm beginning to think I'd rather have some faceless Europeans making our laws than UK Parliament. I'm appalled at all the poor behaviour, blatant opportunism and 'me first' politicking that has made UK politics a laughing stock.
P.S. Don't bother with offering up names of decent MPs because I have had enough of ALL of them, without exception.

No names, but there are some good ones, though it seems to me that to get near the front benches, you have to sacrifice some principles.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wonderful intervention by Nick Boles with the equivalent of a vicious upper cut to Rees-Mogg in Parliamentary terms. Amazing scenes in Parliament as government and opposition benches supporting and agreeing while Tories turn rabidly on each other.

I have to say, Rees-Mogg was tying himself up in knots with his absurd whys and buts as to why the house taking control was a bad idea. Anyone would think he could see his dream of keeping millions of unpaid tax from the UK tax man going up in flames...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Think its not fair to write off all MP's. In every walk of life there are good un's and bad un's. The last couple of years have shown that more than ever

Good on you for voting on your kids wishes, that's a very unselfish act and I applaud you for that whether you vote remain or leave

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have to say, Rees-Mogg was tying himself up in knots with his absurd whys and buts as to why the house taking control was a bad idea. Anyone would think he could see his dream of keeping millions of unpaid tax from the UK tax man going up in flames...

And harks back to Old Wykehamists because he basically has no self awareness whatsoever.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its almost as if the bipartisan nature of party politics gets in the way of rational thought and debate. and without being whipped they lose the cover of "the party line", they have to justify their position for themselves.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What was it?

Mogg questioned those Tories backing the indicative votes and the commons taking over the business as undermining their confidence in the government. Boles replied that he was able to separate his confidence in the government from this one issue of business, and threw it back to Mogg that his confidence in the government was backed up by his voting with the government's deal and threw it back to Mogg that he was the one who is talking about having confidence in the government while continually voting against them. Much laughter from both sides ensued. Mogg could be seen to go a fine shade of Labour red, and blundered on about Old Wykehamists and some other old boys network reference. He looked a cock womble, and the entire house could see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here