Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not my pay grade.That's why we pay taxes.Unfortunately,the idiot un-civil servants and politicians aren't up to the job.

Are you saying you voted Leave without having evaluated HOW that might actually work?

If that IS the case it wouldn't surprise me, and you wouldn't be the only one I'm sure. Having been a civil servant for 3 years and worked in the Home Office I have little faith in civil servants and politicians to sort anything out, especially anything as complex as Trade Deals. Private Eye is full of public sector ineptitude in every edition.

For me, this is one of the reasons the EU works. Major policy decisions are not political footballs that get kicked end to end, or announcements made to win elections that are kicked into the long grass once office has been assumed. When they say they'll tackle stuff like climate change or tax havens you generally believe they'll do it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
LATEST

Theresa May speech -
*Confirms no third vote on her Deal.
*Reluctant to show support re: indicative voting.
*Hints towards Slow Brexit and the need for a much longer extension.
*Apologetic for ridiculous speech on Weds.
*Confirms 29th March date - "no longer there".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For me, this is one of the reasons the EU works. Major policy decisions are not political footballs that get kicked end to end, or announcements made to win elections that are kicked into the long grass once office has been assumed. When they say they'll tackle stuff like climate change or tax havens you generally believe they'll do it.

But we don't WANT unelected EUROCRATS tackling climate change and tax havens for us. We want sovereignty to not tackle them ourselves.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
LATEST

Theresa May speech -
*Confirms no third vote on her Deal.
*Reluctant to show support re: indicative voting.
*Hints towards Slow Brexit and the need for a much longer extension.
*Apologetic for ridiculous speech on Weds.
*Confirms 29th March date - "no longer there".

So if there is no vote on her deal THIS WEEK, the 22 May date is gone, as the extension explicitly stated a vote must happen this week.

She has also been correctly contradicted by Corbyn that you cannot separate with Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration votes, because they are explicitly stated as being voted on together in the EU Withdrawal Act.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...and if she thinks so, she would be right! On a personal level I feel sorry for her. Politically I say GREAT!!

Please don't. She is a vindictive bitch, who deserves every second of pain she has brought upon herself.

I constantly sway between the two viewpoints. She is still - under it all - a human being, and the levels of stress must be absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Please don't. She is a vindictive bitch, who deserves every second of pain she has brought upon herself.

You're right.... she deserves the pain - and I cannot wait to see the back of her. When she has gone, then I can feel some compassion for a fellow human being.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So May says "no MP can commit to accepting something that contradicts the manifesto on which they were elected."

So basically no from of deal can happen, because no manifesto in Parliament has a sufficient majority. I don't remember her manifesto stating she would jump into bed with the DUP and give them a load of cash either?

Even Ken Clarke has had to remind her the Tory manifesto came out half way through the campaign, and she's already back tracked on the dementia tax.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I constantly sway between the two viewpoints. She is still - under it all - a human being, and the levels of stress must be absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.
The stress is all self inflicted. I hope she is feeling infinitely more pain than the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So if there is no vote on her deal THIS WEEK, the 22 May date is gone, as the extension explicitly stated a vote must happen this week.

She has also been correctly contradicted by Corbyn that you cannot separate with Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration votes, because they are explicitly stated as being voted on together in the EU Withdrawal Act.
Although Tusk also said *anything is possible* until April 12th. So May 22nd date may not be fully gone.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not my pay grade.That's why we pay taxes.Unfortunately,the idiot un-civil servants and politicians aren't up to the job.

Or, alternatively, the request was a bit too simplistic and it isn't actually something which is achievable?

I've dealt with loads of people at work who submit requests for stuff to be changed which they think will make everything great. Unfortunately, these requests are often poorly thought out, too simplistic or completely fail to take other changes into account. We often have to turn around to them after doing some investigation and say "look, this big idea, it actually doesn't work out" and tell them to go away and think again. It's not because the IT developers "aren't up to the job", it's because the request which came in simply couldn't be done. If that entire team of developers was sacked and a new lot bought it, it would still be an undeliverable request by it's own inherent nature. Because that's the way shit works in the real world.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
May says NI isn’t ready for no deal.

Absolute scenes

High time the neanderthals of the DUP were told to f*** right off. There's no political price worth paying to have to kow tow to these medieval freaks.

Only plus side to their involvement is that hopefully people will be so sick of their 17th century crap posturing that it will hasten in a united Ireland :wave:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Yep. And not just for her time since she became PM either.

Anyone remember when the Tories at their conference heard a speech where someone said "we're still seen as the nasty party, and we have to change that"? That was HER speech to the conference. She gave that. It amuses me given that arguably few among her cohorts have done more in the last 10 years to try harder and make them continue to be thought of as "the nasty party".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here