Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It would also help if Leavers could actually decide what the hell they want. There is basically an arc stretching from "No Deal" (which frankly can go swivel on it as it's a ludicrous idea) round to "Common Market 2.0". That's quite a spectrum.

And you call us thick?WE WANT TO LEAVE THE EU!It is,after all,what we voted for,not the 1001 variations the obstructionists keep vomiting out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It would also help if Leavers could actually decide what the hell they want. There is basically an arc stretching from "No Deal" (which frankly can go swivel on it as it's a ludicrous idea) round to "Common Market 2.0". That's quite a spectrum.

And you call us thick?WE WANT TO LEAVE THE EU!It is,after all,what we voted for,not the 1001 variations the obstructionists keep vomiting out.

So, why are various groups of LEAVERS voting down, every suggested form of leaving, then?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Great. We've already established that. So what bits about the EU do you want to leave? And if the answer to that is "all of them" then perhaps you can talk us through how this works alongside the Good Friday Agreement, which is an internationally recognised peace treaty ratified by referendum on both sides of the Irish border and approved through votes in the Irish, British and European Parliaments and the US Congress?

This is the question. We've moved on from "what" to "how". It's now up to you to tell us the "how", else we have to revisit the "what".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Meanwhile Remainers are concerned it doesn't support jobs, doesn't protect working standards, and will very likely **** up the economy.
Exactly what makes it not support jobs, and exactly how does it **** up the economy? Is it not still free trade?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Great. We've already established that. So what bits about the EU do you want to leave? And if the answer to that is "all of them" then perhaps you can talk us through how this works alongside the Good Friday Agreement, which is an internationally recognised peace treaty ratified by referendum on both sides of the Irish border and approved through votes in the Irish, British and European Parliaments and the US Congress?

This is the question. We've moved on from "what" to "how". It's now up to you to tell us the "how", else we have to revisit the "what".

Not my pay grade.That's why we pay taxes.Unfortunately,the idiot un-civil servants and politicians aren't up to the job.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, what seems to get forgotten, is that on the Vote Leave Campaign's website, it explicitly stated before the Referendum "We leave with a negotiated deal in place".

So for those of you who say you voted in June 2016 for No Deal Brexit; no you didn't. It literally wasn't an option.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly what makes it not support jobs, and exactly how does it **** up the economy? Is it not still free trade?

To have free trade, you need trade agreements. We have 750 different trade agreements at the moment, but soon will have just three.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yes. But what form does leaving take? Customs Union? No-Deal? May's Deal?

Who cares.Leave and sort it out after.Varadkar,for example,suddenly seems keen to work it out after being the hard man for so long.Merkel seems to have mellowed as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Really? 2 and a half years on and you haven't asked that question until now?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Also, what seems to get forgotten, is that on the Vote Leave Campaign's website, it explicitly stated before the Referendum "We leave with a negotiated deal in place".

So for those of you who say you voted in June 2016 for No Deal Brexit; no you didn't. It literally wasn't an option.

Leave/remain were the options.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
To have free trade, you need trade agreements. We have 750 different trade agreements at the moment, but soon will have just three.

Coo,750.When did the Galactic Confederation sign up with the EU?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who cares.Leave and sort it out after.Varadkar,for example,suddenly seems keen to work it out after being the hard man for so long.Merkel seems to have mellowed as well.

That doesn't make sense. Leave how? You have to choose a way of leaving, to leave.

That's like saying "I'm going to get dressed." And someone asking "Will you put your pants on first, or socks, at what point will you brush your teeth etc" and your response is simply "I'm gonna get dressed, we'll deal with the details of how I'm going to get dressed after I get dressed."

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Which of the 40,000 versions of Brexit should we go for?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Leave/remain were the options.

And on the Vote Leave campaign website, it was confirmed we wouldn't leave without a Deal in place. Therefore, No Deal Brexit wasn't an option, like it or not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really? 2 and a half years on and you haven't asked that question until now?
No, that question has always been there, it's the answer that is unclear, and you're claiming that it doesn't support jobs and will very likely **** up the economy. I'm asking you to state exactly why that is.

The deal could leave us in a customs union with the EU, so why will it be so bad for our economy?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That doesn't answer my question. With May's deal, there won't (as far as we know) be any tariffs on our exports, so what is it exactly that messes up our economy?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That doesn't make sense. Leave how? You have to choose a way of leaving, to leave.

That's like saying "I'm going to get dressed." And someone asking "Will you put your pants on first, or socks, at what point will you brush your teeth etc" and your response is simply "I'm gonna get dressed, we'll deal with the details of how I'm going to get dressed after I get dressed."

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Which of the 40,000 versions of Brexit should we go for?

It's never going to make sense from here on in, it's always going to be one person with an entrenched position shouting over another person's entrenched position. In the end you have to just go with the numbers. Either that or tell The People they arrived at the 'wrong' answer and make them do it again so they arrive at the 'right' answer :shrug:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Well not really. You could have genuinely 'free' trade - with no tariffs, no rules of origin, no regulatory restrictions etc. To be genuinely 'free' it should be for all forms of trade including in Labour.

The UK would not stay rich for long in those circumstances

Trade deals are mainly designed to create an advantage for the more powerful partner (s).

The point of remaining in the EU, from a trade perspective' is to be able to be one of the bullies and not one of the bullied. Which is why I am somewhat ambivalent about that part of the remainer argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here