Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It won't still be relevant by August will it?
Please god...

You think we will find the magic answer to the Irish border/Customs Union issue between now and August, when we haven't been able to in the last 3 years. Maybe you know something we don't ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How many signatures more will this revoke petition have to get before politicians start taking it seriously? 5,545,703 is a hell of a lot of votes, even in the last 27 hours when it's tailing off it's still getting 5 votes every second.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You think we will find the magic answer to the Irish border/Customs Union issue between now and August, when we haven't been able to in the last 3 years. Maybe you know something we don't ???

No, I have clarified on this thread it was clear to me there is no anwer to that problem (it took me about 10 minutes of listening to a well informed Irish colleague to reach that conclusion), and thus the Tories have wasted 2.5 years trying to achieve the impossible (just read through the whole thread from the start and you'll find it no problem). I am assuming that we'll move to one of the other options before August.

I've always had my money on a soft brexit, but obviously other outcomes are possible.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, I have clarified on this thread it was clear to me there is no anwer to that problem (it took me about 10 minutes of listening to a well informed Irish colleague to reach that conclusion), and thus the Tories have wasted 2.5 years trying to achieve the impossible (just read through the whole thread from the start and you'll find it no problem). I am assuming that we'll move to one of the other options before August.

I've always had my money on a soft brexit, but obviously other outcomes are possible.

When you say 'one of the other options' I assume you are saying stay in the Customs Union ? Because each time this is suggested it disappears under a torrent of 'This wasn't what we voted for'.

(Because as far as I can see, the only other outcome is a hard border ?)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
When you say 'one of the other options' I assume you are saying stay in the Customs Union ? Because each time this is suggested it disappears under a torrent of 'This wasn't what we voted for'.

(Because as far as I can see, the only other outcome is a hard border ?)

Yes

Otherwise revoke.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How many signatures more will this revoke petition have to get before politicians start taking it seriously? 5,545,703 is a hell of a lot of votes, even in the last 27 hours when it's tailing off it's still getting 5 votes every second.

As I've mentioned above, the problems I am having signing it makes me think that the 'tailing off' may have more reasons other than simply less people trying to vote

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seems it will be a choice of revoke or out with no deal

One of those options means a chance to stop this utter chaos, take stock and work out what we want to do as a country, now we have far more idea what leaving could entail.

The other option means immediately stopping NHS funding overnight for Brits in the EU for Cancer treatment and other vital, life saving medicine, quite probably leading to innocent people dying.

Toughie, innit?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Seems it will be a choice of revoke or out with no deal

The BBC team on 5live said this evening that privately the EU would be amenable to another, compromise deal (such as a Customs Union), but only if it first had the overwhelming support of the House of Commons.

But how to achieve that overwhelming support, when most MP’s are stubbbornly stuck on their complete Brexit or Remain paths, or are simply playing party politics for ulterior motives?

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
What I am saying is that trying to fix one problem can cause another, and that halting freedom of movement is not the fix to overpopulation or immigration as a whole that it might appear to be.
The ratio of people over 65 to people of working age is increasing, it was about 16% of a population of about 60 million in 2000, and about 18% of a population of about 65 million in 2016. Retirement age is being pushed up to ease the ratio of retired to working people, migration of working age people also helps keep the ratio down, and it is highly probable that overall immigration will remain at similar levels unless the economy crashes and there is not the work available.

I am sad that you see you the Foreign aid spending as an unnecessary expense we can cut, it is a UN target we have been signed up to for decades at 0.7% of GDP, and is now in UK law that the government must meet this target, it is also a tenth of UK Government pension payments which are 45% of all welfare spending. As someone concerned about immigration maybe you could take some comfort that this spending is aiding development in countries that tend to have an outflow of people due to the lack of opportunity, helping the sort of people you might otherwise find sitting in tents in Calais trying to get here, to have a life where they were born.

I am concerned for the future, but people who blame immigrants for our problems worry me more than most immigrants. There are about 700,000 babies born a year in the UK currently, and 500,000 people die, population increase is happening pretty much everywhere in the world, Japan a notable exception, which is causing problems for them.

I can see that you are an intelligent person , but i have not said anywhere i blame the immigrants just the fact there is no control ,so you have tried to steer the argument in a certain direction based on your presumption of the points i am making .

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I can see that you are an intelligent person , but i have not said anywhere i blame the immigrants just the fact there isno control,so you have tried to steer the argument in a certain direction based on your presumption of the points i am making .

That is the governments fault. They can send EU nationals back to their country of origin if they are not working, but the UK, unlike other EU countries have put no measures in place to do this. Non-EU migrants are controlled by the UK government.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That is not (yet) the case though?

Parliament may decide it wants a different deal. That has yet to be tested.

A deal which does not yet exist and which there is insufficient time to get. While it may technically not yet be the case, it is all but the case.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'd be more amenable to supporting Leave if - at this critical stage in the process - the Brexiteers came out en masse as a show of strength for their cause.

A million Remainers march on London and the online poll is a shade under 5 1/2 million signatures, yet the Brexit March barely registers 200 souls and their best online petition 'Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019' has a pathetic 546,000 signatures.

Seems like Leave could do with a 12th Man. As Delia Smith once said" Where are you? Where ARE you? Let's Be 'Aving You! Come On!!"
As I have said before in this thread the leavers don’t have to come out to protest as they aren’t trying to change anything as things stand

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Russians want us out of the EU so it would be self defeating to meddle in the petition.
They'd try and suppress the signatures by service denial - like when the referendum registration server 'mysteriously' crashed and the deadline had be extended - but I suspect they can't be bothered as this petition may well boost morale, but won't change much in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here