Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't quite see the point of such 'news'.

There's no way the UK will become a Cormac McCarthy novel 6 days into the 'brave new world'.
Hunger Games, then once we finally get Beyond Thunderdome, it'll be Airstrip One ( if we are lucky ).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Project shit the bed seems to be up and running thanks to the usual pot noodle brigade.
Dont know how they get out of bed in the morning nowadays without a panic attack.

"Project shit the bed" as perpetrated by those well-known anti-Brexit traitors at *checks notes* the Mail on Sunday.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just for balance, no sane Dutch people are "loving" Brexit.

Don't be sidetracked by De Telegraaf sounding a bit high-brow like the Telegraph. It's much more gutter press, pretty much along the same lines as the Daily Express in terms of the human intellectual level it's targeting (i.e. it goes for the sensationalist populism route that sells papers to gullible & stupid people).

Actually I work in a team with Dutch & Belgium people and all they do is laugh at us about Brexit. I'd say they definitely are loving it

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Actually I work in a team with Dutch & Belgium people and all they do is laugh at us about Brexit. I'd say they definitely are loving it

I am Dutch (now) and I've lived there (here) 30 years. I'd say they are not...

It's true that the Dutch (and to a lesser extent the Belgians) do like a bit of schadenfreude when a bigger neighbour screws up in some way, as it makes them as a 'little country that's always ignored on the international stage' feel smugly better about themselves. But underneath, no one here seriously thinks this situation is great (apart from a few 'Nexiteers'...).

As I've said earlier on this thread, the general feeling is one of open-mouthed incredulity at what's unfolding...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Umm you do realise one of the major points about Leaving was leaving the customs union and being able to set our own import tariff rates independently from the EU and to no longer have to abide by the high “common” protectionist rates.
How is it remainers are all of a sudden incredibly surprised that this is exactly what is being suggested with the applied "no Deal" rates. How is it you lot never understood this?

Yes and I also realise it wasn't supposed to done in secret and blind panic with little consultation with in industries involved.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I see Watford zero-answers has crawled out from under its tinfoil bedspread again.Did the biscuit stack fall over?Can BMW hurry up and clear off,as Jaguar want the Hams Hall plant for battery assembly?Not long now chaps,On our Way.Just a shame we have to wait till October for our new passports!:thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Bonfire night could come early to the south downs this year.

On-farm disposal, where lambs are slaughtered and then buried or burnt on farms, could be a cheap but politically sensitive solution. The last time livestock was culled on farms en masse was in the 2001 foot and mouth epidemic.

George Milne, the National Sheep Association’s Scottish representative, said officials had discussed such ideas.

“We favour deficiency payments [subsidies] to farmers to make up for any price slump.” said Milne. “We also discussed freezing and storing the meat but we don’t have the capacity. Another option discussed was on-farm disposal. No one wants that to happen but if it was for the welfare of the sheep then it would need to be looked at.”

Charles Sercombe, of Melton Mowbray, who sells 3,500 lambs a year and chairs a sheep welfare group that advises Defra, said a no-deal Brexit risked a “nightmare scenario” where lambs went unsold. “There’s not enough grazing for so many sheep so we must plan for welfare slaughter. Ideally they would go to abattoirs, with carcasses landfilled or burnt, but 80% of workers are European so we may not have the staff.”

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I struggle to understand the 'no market' excuse. I love lamb, my favourite meat but we rarely buy it because it's so so so expensive. There are thousands of the little blighters on the South Downs yet it is by far and away the most expensive meat. Lower the price and create a market.

Its expensive presumably because it is expensive to rear, unless for some reason lamb is sold at a higher profit margin than other meat?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Its expensive presumably because it is expensive to rear, unless for some reason lamb is sold at a higher profit margin than other meat?

The Times article also says:

Farmers normally get £85 per sheep with buyers spending £18 on slaughter plus £18 on processing into cuts. A market collapse would push slaughter costs onto farmers, who could then lose more than £100 per animal.

It also reveals this beauty:

The surplus will be made worse by imports. In a pre-Brexit deal, Britain has had to agree to take half the 220,000 tons of lamb sent to the EU from New Zealand each year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I struggle to understand the 'no market' excuse. I love lamb, my favourite meat but we rarely buy it because it's so so so expensive. There are thousands of the little blighters on the South Downs yet it is by far and away the most expensive meat. Lower the price and create a market.

And if there is 'no market' for them, why breed so many? There's a farmer in the Times report who says that he won't be able to sell 3,500 lambs but why have these if you're not able to sell them? We've known about this for three years so surely he should have gradually reduced his stock.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And if there is 'no market' for them, why breed so many? There's a farmer in the Times report who says that he won't be able to sell 3,500 lambs but why have these if you're not able to sell them? We've known about this for three years so surely he should have gradually reduced his stock.

So he should have basically gone out of business 3 years ago on the chance that Brexit would happen and there'd be no deal?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheap lamb.

Had they put that on the bus I'd have voted for Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

:facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Great. I'm sure that the farmer will be able to reduce his costs accordingly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So he should have basically gone out of business 3 years ago on the chance that Brexit would happen and there'd be no deal?

What do you mean "a chance"? We knew Brexit was happening three years ago. If I were running a business that I knew was going to disappear in three years, I'd have been looking to reduce existing stock and diversify into something else. It's not something that's happened out of the blue

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Great. I'm sure that the farmer will be able to reduce his costs accordingly.

Exactly. There's is the sort of attitude that makes normal people dislike Brexiteers. "Yeah, just go out of business and go on the bread because I got some half baked idea from the Daily Mail that foreigners wish to draft me into a European Super Army and steal my job". Thick as mince.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here