Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Geninue question - New Zealand lamb is the same cost as British lamb on the supermarket shelves. Yet the New Zealand farmers have had to ship their lamb half way around the world and still clearly make a profit. So what are British lamb farmers doing that so increases their costs that New Zealand farmers don't do ?

Have you tried speaking to a sheep farmer? I don't know enough about the New Zealand economy but potentially their costs are lower than those of a British farmer?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Many times I have complained about the BBC and their slant on the news, citing a complaint I sent in about an incident in Calais in 2015, when I was actually there.
So many times politicians have been allowed to broadcast their propaganda without being challenged, and certain politicians have had much more exposure than others.

Now Ofcom are investigating them (not as a result of my complaint along, I might add) :lolol:

[tweet]1103245677289766912[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm not sure we should be using Supermarkets as some kind of compass on these things.... given how they screw over UK farmers and some pretty shady business practices involved

This. Milk pricing in particular in the UK is genuinely a scandal, but such is the combined monopoly of the supermarkets there seems no will or possibility of taking them on.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Geninue question - New Zealand lamb is the same cost as British lamb on the supermarket shelves. Yet the New Zealand farmers have had to ship their lamb half way around the world and still clearly make a profit. So what are British lamb farmers doing that so increases their costs that New Zealand farmers don't do ?

Land cost?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One would literally have to be mentally sub-standard to believe Brexit is going to do anything but catastrophic damage to the UK and it's inhabitants. I mean that. I think there is something wrong with Brexiteers' minds. A mass delusion maybe.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Many times I have complained about the BBC and their slant on the news, citing a complaint I sent in about an incident in Calais in 2015, when I was actually there.
So many times politicians have been allowed to broadcast their propaganda without being challenged, and certain politicians have had much more exposure than others.

Now Ofcom are investigating them (not as a result of my complaint along, I might add) :lolol:

[tweet]1103245677289766912[/tweet]

Generally the left complain about the BBC when the BBC show something anti-left and the right compain about the BBC when the BBC show something anti-right. As a floating voter is suggests to me that mainly their coverage is neutral.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Generally the left complain about the BBC when the BBC show something anti-left and the right compain about the BBC when the BBC show something anti-right. As a floating voter is suggests to me that mainly their coverage is neutral.

Oh right, so Ofcom are just wasting their time? That's alright, then.

Btw I am neither left nor right.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Oh right, so Ofcom are just wasting their time? That's alright, then.

Btw I am neither left nor right.

I've worked in telecoms and I can assure you OFCOM are very political and generally useless.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Because some people still regard Brexit as an event rather than a process, here is that process...

[TWEET]1103247248333438979[/TWEET]

Its the end of the beginning, if we get to the beginning. That was supposed to start in December 2017

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Surprisingly refreshing to watch PMQ and see our elected members discussing deeply pressing matters that affect our country other than bloody Brexit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There’s the efficiency from economy of scale; NZ farms way more lamb than the U.K. Plus shipping is relatively cheap.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
One would literally have to be mentally sub-standard to believe Brexit is going to do anything but catastrophic damage to the UK and it's inhabitants. I mean that. I think there is something wrong with Brexiteers' minds. A mass delusion maybe.
To be fair, it is not Brexit itself, but *no deal* Brexit which would kill our country.

EFTA with EEA membership like Switzerland and Norway ( who both can negotiate their own trade deals ) could have an upside.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its expensive presumably because it is expensive to rear, unless for some reason lamb is sold at a higher profit margin than other meat?

I think it’s a supply and demand thing. In the UK more profit can be gained from farming other stuff. So less lamb is farmed. This in turn makes lamb a bit more expensive.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There’s the efficiency from economy of scale; NZ farms way more lamb than the U.K. Plus shipping is relatively cheap.

The figures I can find are 4 years old but in 2015 the UK farmed 33m lambs while New Zealand farmed 29m lambs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Unfortunately, because 17 m voted for leaving the EU on " principle" and as an " Up Yours " to government , we are expected to march headlong over the cliff on "principle" despite the obvious drawback of the hard landing we will have. It is mad, crazy, stupid and insane to do this ridiculous act but thanks to the right wing business interests with their dodgy money that planted the idea and funded it over the last 20 years, we are stuck with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unfortunately, because 17 m voted for leaving the EU on " principle" and as an " Up Yours " to government , we are expected to march headlong over the cliff on "principle" despite the obvious drawback of the hard landing we will have. It is mad, crazy, stupid and insane to do this ridiculous act but thanks to the right wing business interests with their dodgy money that planted the idea and funded it over the last 20 years, we are stuck with it.

and if Farage is organising the march we'll each pay £50 for the pleasure, not have to do the whole journey and walk around in circles for part of it.

Nice.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

That's quite a sweeping statement as to why people voted leave ...... and wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The figures I can find are 4 years old but in 2015 the UK farmed 33m lambs while New Zealand farmed 29m lambs.

From Farmers Weekly https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/mark...ces/uk-lamb-crop-estimated-to-be-down-1m-head

“Total UK lamb production is typically between 16m and 17m head each year.”

From NZ government archive

http://archive.stats.govt.nz/browse...l-indicators/Home/Land/livestock-numbers.aspx

“New Zealand farmed 27.37 million sheep”

Both figures are reasonably recent. I’m no expert but it’s always been my understanding that NZ farms more sheep than the U.K. and quick Google appears to back this up. I have not fully read the links though so I could be wrong.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I struggle to understand the 'no market' excuse. I love lamb, my favourite meat but we rarely buy it because it's so so so expensive. There are thousands of the little blighters on the South Downs yet it is by far and away the most expensive meat. Lower the price and create a market.

The same applies to New Zealand wine, which is bloody magnificent btw. According to my cousin in NZ, a bottle of similar Marlborough Sauvignon blanc is £22 equivalent where in the uk, same bottle is £12. As she says..." how does that work"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here