Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If you feel there's an equivalence between, on the one hand, Cameron suggesting that French officials might remove a concession that allows prospective immigrants to be interviewed by British border staff at the French end of the channel tunnel rather than the British one with, on the other, the relentless long term drone of anti-immigrant rhetoric and stone-cold lies from Leave campaigners then I guess I'm out of this conversation. I'll leave others to judge your even-handedness.

I try to answer questions put to me though. I can't at the moment find a relevant quote from Cummins although I have seen it mentioned often enough. I appreciate that this might set you off on another furious spate of veloxing but I have never come across a sentient being yet who says that the bus message wasn't effectively a lie - the important part of Cummins' comment on the subject of the bus side is that the message was essential to the Leave victory. You claim that it is patronising to suggest such a thing. The director of Vote Leave has his own view, comprehensively put in a piece in the Spectator in January 2017. It's fenced I'm afraid and I really don't want to take out another sub. Sorry.

Any sentient being can see that suggesting thousands of immigrants will be rocking up in Kent if we vote leave is playing on some peoples fears and prejudices. Especially when The Le Touquet border agreement, which covers the Calais border arrangements, was and is separate to our EU membership (as Cameron well knew). Funnily enough the UK and France have actually updated and strengthened the agreement last year .... despite Brexit. But never mind, you carry on trying to justify using fear of immigrants as a campaign tool, not at all hypocritical, no sireee.

No surprise you can't find any quote of Cummings saying 'it was the bus lie that won it' ... because you know he didn't say it. What he actually said (very easy to find for free) ...

'Pundits and MPs kept saying ‘why isn’t Leave arguing about the economy and living standards’. They did not realise that for millions of people, £350m/NHS was about the economy and living standards – that’s why it was so effective. It was clearly the most effective argument not only with the crucial swing fifth but with almost every demographic.

Even with UKIP voters it was level-pegging with immigration.

Would we have won without immigration? No.

Would we have won without £350m/NHS? All our research and the close result strongly suggests No.'

Amusing that you complain about the leave campaign misleading people when you continually, deliberately, misquote him suggesting he used the term lie. Reducing a series of nuanced views to a handy misleading quote that could fit on the side of a bus … how very vote leave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You really are stupid.Most of the pallets UK exporters use,don't go to the EU,so don't need to be Euro-pallets.

In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports). The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has fallen over time from 55% in 2006 to 43% in 2016, increasing slightly to 44% in 2017.
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

The company you work for has an arrangement that it must send all it's product into Europe on Euro pallets.
Great.
Not everybody has the same arrangement because it doesn't have too, because we are all in the EU, it's the customers choice.
Currently any pallet predominately GKN's can also be sent.

No Deal means ALL pallets entering the EU from the UK will have to be EU compliant and checked that they are accordingly.

The companies that currently don't have to use EU compliant pallets, because they are in the EU and therefore EU compliant, will require EU compliant pallets of which the UK doesn't have nearly enough because it is reliant on ALL pallets being compliant.

I take it as you've reverted back to snidey you now understand but don't want to admit it

Oh and I had no idea this was a thing until 2 days ago.
Nobody did.
Although I'm pretty sure there are a couple of thousand yard boys, leaning on brooms, chatting to drivers who have known for months that was a potential thing.

What a shambles.

Well blow me down with a feather.You'll be telling us next you know how to load a 40' trailer.Which end would you start at?
No I don't I only know how to unload the feckers, by hand, when it's packed with barely an inch to spare.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports). The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has fallen over time from 55% in 2006 to 43% in 2016, increasing slightly to 44% in 2017.

The company you work for has an arrangement that it must send all it's product into Europe on Euro pallets.
Great.
Not everybody has the same arrangement because it doesn't have too, because we are all in the EU, it's the customers choice.

No Deal means ALL pallets entering the EU from the UK will have to be EU compliant and checked that they are accordingly.

The companies that currently don't have to use EU compliant pallets, because they are in the EU and therefore EU compliant, will require EU compliant pallets of which the UK doesn't have nearly enough because it is reliant on ALL pallets being compliant.

I take it as you've reverted back to snidey you now understand but don't want to admit it

Nobody did.
Although I'm pretty sure there are a couple of thousand yard boys, leaning on brooms, chatting to drivers who have known for months that was a potential thing.

What a shambles.

No I don't I only know how to unload the feckers, by hand, when it's packed with barely an inch to spare.

This thread over the last few days has become unpalatable. :rolleyes:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
As well as war torn France preparing to Veto any article 50 extension, now looks like Spain are going to block any requests from Theresa the appeaser.No deal still the legal default.
Twenty Nine days to go.

On our way.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Great.

Nobody did.

What a shambles.

I had tried to explain it as simply as I could, but it's obviously too complex for him.

But I guess that trying to explain the right way to sit on a toilet seat would probably prove too complex for him :wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1 month until the Kremlin celebrations begin.

*No deal* utterly defeats us.

There will be medals issued to the GRU hybrid warfare cyber division.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

There will be medals issued to the GRU cyber division.

Trump and Brexit. They must be unable to believe their luck. They’ve done INCREDIBLY well the past couple of years.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

There will be medals issued to the GRU cyber division.

More positive theories.

UnsungAnchoredHapuku-max-1mb.gif

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As well as war torn France preparing to Veto any article 50 extension, now looks like Spain are going to block any requests from Theresa the appeaser.No deal still the legal default.
Twenty Nine days to go.

On our way.

We have our differences. I’m a rational, considered, educated grown up with the capacity for measured debate and social comment. You’re none of these things. However, there is common ground. For example we all generally agree that Brexit is a bad idea and most would , given the chance, change to a remain vote. That we can agree on. Now is the time to focus on that common ground and all fight for no deal to be taken off the table and for a reversal of Brexit. Then we need a cross party effort to re-establish our standing in the EU. It won’t be easy but at least we can all agree on that course of action.

I think we can all agree also that anyone with the intelligence to make Brexit work wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave in the first place .

Let’s make Britain Great again. Together. And once that’s done, go our separate ways.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
We have our differences. I’m a rational, considered, educated grown up with the capacity for measured debate and social comment. You’re none of these things. However, there is common ground. For example we all generally agree that Brexit is a bad idea and most would , given the chance, change to a remain vote. That we can agree on. Now is the time to focus on that common ground and all fight for no deal to be taken off the table and for a reversal of Brexit. Then we need a cross party effort to re-establish our standing in the EU. It won’t be easy but at least we can all agree on that course of action.

I think we can all agree also that anyone with the intelligence to make Brexit work wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave in the first place .

Let’s make Britain Great again. Together. And once that’s done, go our separate ways.

Rational?Do you think people like Myself should have their voting rights withdrawn?
You didn’t really like My vote.

On our way

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rational?Do you think people like Myself should have their voting rights withdrawn?
You didn’t really like My vote.

You have addressed nothing in my post. Not least because I don’t think you understood any of it. Okay, that’s to be expected and it’s fine. Let me put some of your concerns to rest.

I don’t think any of us were qualified or anywhere near remotely informed enough to vote on an in/out referendum. Not me, nor you, nor anyone.

It really would serve you well to cease this endless repetition of meaningless statement questions such as “you really did not like my vote did you”?
It adds nothing, means nothing, achieves less.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mr Costa has now been sacked as a PPS from the Scottish Office for good measure for tabling the aforementioned amendment.

Actually he resigned to allow himself to raise the amendment as ministers aren't 'allowed' to raise amendments. I say 'allowed' as it's convention rather than any hard rule.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You really are stupid.Most of the pallets UK exporters use,don't go to the EU,so don't need to be Euro-pallets.I really can't believe how thick you are.I presume the business you pretend to run was your parents or grandparents,as you are,at best,barely clerical level.Any news why Aldi need to know the levels of import duty on Cheddar produced and purchased in the UK yet?It's two days now,so even you could have managed a plausible response,if there was one.???

I am going to give it one last go, because although all previous history suggests I'm wasting my time, I am a great believer in helping the less able.

There are a set of standards for pallets used for shipping between countries within the EU.

There are further standards applied to pallets used for shipping into the EU from outside the EU.

Amongst these extra standards are 'Wood pallets must be heat-treated or cleaned to prevent contamination and the spread of pests, and have specific tests and markings to confirm that they are legal in EU markets'.

Because we are in the EU, the pallets we have used for shipping to the EU did not have to conform to these extra standards.

If we leave the EU without a deal, we are no longer members of the EU and will need all pallets used for shipping to the EU to conform to these extra standards.

Because we haven't needed pallets that conform to these extra standards for the last 40 years we don't have enough stock of them

Understand ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had tried to explain it as simply as I could, but it's obviously too complex for him.

But I guess that trying to explain the right way to sit on a toilet seat would probably prove too complex for him :wink:

But it just a thing.
An annoying thing, certainly something that can be overcome.

Yet the merest mention is met with rudeness, whataboutery, and a flat refusal to read a small article.

Pointless.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Actually he resigned to allow himself to raise the amendment as ministers aren't 'allowed' to raise amendments. I say 'allowed' as it's convention rather than any hard rule.

Resigned/sacked - some articles even say both. You should take it up with them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Twenty Nine days to go.

On our way.

Parliament will not and can not allow the damage that no-deal would wreak. From your continued childish triumphalism, I take it that you are missing the point, that if EU members exercise their right to block any extension of A50, that the only course of action left is to WITHDRAW it entirely :shrug:

I don’t think any of us were qualified or anywhere near remotely informed enough to vote on an in/out referendum. Not me, nor you, nor anyone.

This is of course, the correct answer.

Tbh though, 'yes' would probably have been a valid answer too, in this particular case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here