Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's not an arrogant statement. If 90% of intelligent economists are warning against leaving, then given the vote, they will vote against leaving. We can't deny that they are experts in their field and therefore more intelligent than you and I when it comes to economics.

Unfortunately, similarly to climate change, someone will always be able to find someone that is an economist that disagrees. However, when the vast majority are saying remain, it makes sense to listen to that opinion. That isn't arrogance.
Who said anything about 90% of intelligent economists? I take it 90% is another number made up by remainers, but I'll leave that for now.

You said, "The vast majority of intelligentsia are warning against Brexit". Total arrogance assuming that it's the intelligentsia that want to remain, and therefore by definition it's unintelligent oiks that are going to vote to get us out. Your inability to realise that all these people - those that you think are so wonderful that we should hang on their every word - have their snouts firmly embedded in a very nice trough, is staggering.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
what?
what on earth are you talking about.This makes no sense to the conversation

Read Kalimantan Gull's question. Who is going to fill these jobs. Tongue in cheek I suggested the 1.2m Brits working in EU countries.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If we vote Brexit, immigration will be the reason. There are 2 million EU nationals working in Britain. Its a lot, and the pressures on the country need to be dealt with. But....... who is going to fill these jobs once they are gone??

some might say the 2m unemployed. i wouldnt, i understand the immigrants are more willing to do work locals wont, but you can see why people believe stopping and removing immigrants is a magic bullet.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Who said anything about 90% of intelligent economists? I take it 90% is another number made up by remainers, but I'll leave that for now.

You said, "The vast majority of intelligentsia are warning against Brexit". Total arrogance assuming that it's the intelligentsia that want to remain, and therefore by definition it's unintelligent oiks that are going to vote to get us out. Your inability to realise that all these people - those that you think are so wonderful that we should hang on their every word - have their snouts firmly embedded in a very nice trough, is staggering.

If I presented you with 10 economists of equal standing advising you on which path to take and 9 said this way and 1 said that way, which path would you follow?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly, and his wife has her snout firmly in the trough as well..........who elects these people, do other countries citizens vote for all these Eu bureaucrats, cos sure as hell we did not get a vote in the UK.

They are appointed by the member states so, on the basis that he first became a commissioner in 1995, I presume he was put forward by Major and his government!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
some might say the 2m unemployed. i wouldnt, i understand the immigrants are more willing to do work locals wont, but you can see why people believe stopping and removing immigrants is a magic bullet.

The crazy thing is - if we vote Brexit, there will definitely NOT be any noticeable reduction in immigration. We will either (a) negotiate access to the Single Market and therefore continue to have free movement of people, or (b) we will go completely our own way, and Non-EU immigration will rise to fill the gap. This is the cruel economic reality. The likes of Boris and Gove won't tell you this, because it would destroy their only real argument for a Brexit. However, after the vote things will be VERY different.....

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I want to leave but I'm not sure what to make of polls.You ask 1000/2000 people their opinion in a country of 60 million and you're supposed to get an accurate picture.Really?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
you think solving the immigration problem is about kicking people out?
Its not.its not about deporting people already here at all
Its about trying to manage the amount coming in year after year after year,something we cant fully manage if we are in the EU.people already here are not going to be sent home,managing the numbers gives us a fighting chance of bringing our infrastructure up to scratch and not forever playing catch up.

i still cant believe so many people are still uneducated about this

Doesn't it surprise you how many times you have to prove a point to these remainers? It does me. Therefore their arguments are rooted in ideology not reality. Shame.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The crazy thing is - if we vote Brexit, there will definitely NOT be any noticeable reduction in immigration. We will either (a) negotiate access to the Single Market and therefore continue to have free movement of people, or (b) we will go completely our own way, and Non-EU immigration will rise to fill the gap. This is the cruel economic reality. The likes of Boris and Gove won't tell you this, because it would destroy their only real argument for a Brexit. However, after the vote things will be VERY different.....

Which is why Leave tell Asian voters non-EU migration will be made easier and tell white voters than all migration will fall.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Read Kalimantan Gull's question. Who is going to fill these jobs. Tongue in cheek I suggested the 1.2m Brits working in EU countries.

your reply to me still makes no sense
my question to him was where are these immigrants going?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, there's a man sitting in an office somewhere think up these stories.

Best so far: how it will affect the Irish situation.

Still to come: How it will affect the Eurostar and Euromillions.

Just about matches up with the fanciful nonsense created by the Brexiteers, then, like that it costs us £350,000,000 per week to belong to the EU. The rest of the world knows that is a ridiculous overstatement, but they keep it, or something similar, on the side of the Battlebus, and Iain Duncan-Smith was repeating it on the radio yesterday morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I presented you with 10 economists of equal standing advising you on which path to take and 9 said this way and 1 said that way, which path would you follow?
For future reference H, always lead with a big hitter:-

June Sarpong thinks we should remain in Europe.

Boom - drops the mic - end of discussion.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

I've asked them the same thing. They will tell you that economists are always wrong therefore there is no point listening to them. It is an incredible mental feat of wilful ignorance.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Just about matches up with the fanciful nonsense created by the Brexiteers, then, like that it costs us £350,000,000 per week to belong to the EU. The rest of the world knows that is a ridiculous overstatement, but they keep it, or something similar, on the side of the Battlebus, and Iain Duncan-Smith was repeating it on the radio yesterday morning.

This has been argued to death and already put to bed. Most sane people have moved on from that.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Whilst I'd prefer we stayed in and will vote as such, we just have to live with the cards we are dealt on this one.

I'm much more worried about Trump winning in the US, and I don't get a vote in that.

Agree about Trump the bump he was seriously scary and deluded in his interview tonight . If there was to be a WW3 he would be the cause not Brexit

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you'd follow the 9, despite the fact that only 8-9 years ago they got everything wrong. and in the months before and immediately in the next recession they get it all wrong, as they always do. but the interesting thing is those that rise from the recessions, those that make the most on the recover are those that followed the contrarian and hedged or otherwise ready for the reversal. they say of rising markets when everyone is saying the same thing, when everyone is saying buy, thats the top because there's no one left. i dont think thats directly applicable to this situation, the point is following economic consensus can lead to ruin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here