Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brexit has made England team better!

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This thread will no doubt be removed to the Bear Pit, and perhaps rightly so, but here's what I wrote on the Brexit thread in response to an utterly vacuous comment that Brexit inspired England to win....

'It really takes little time for the Brexit jingoistic nationalists on here to try and claim ownership of any cause for national pride. I suppose it is their way of offsetting those who blame Brexit for everything. Likewise they make laughably pathetic attempts to undermine the patriotism of the rest of us. Anything to change the subject from the thread title....

More importantly they are desperate for a 'win' and try and link their tribal loyalty to any good thing'

Thank you for your confidential endorsement 'Is it Potg?'; I hope you are well and in good humour.....
and thank you to JC Footy Genius. It's rare that you support my views and I appreciate it when it happens. Stay balanced....

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This was the result of a long term plan to emulate the successful nations like Spain and Germany. I remember the FA having a plan to win the 2022 world underpinned by massive investment on infrastructure like St Georges park, overhaul of coaching and structure through the England Youth teams. As a result we've had significant International success with the youth setup and this is now filtering through to the seniors.

We also overhauled the academy system at club level with the premier league Elite Player Performance Plan. Our academy system is now producing young British players that are more technically proficient than before and there are now continental clubs who are interested in signing young English talent (for example Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham), this would have been unheard of 10 years ago.

Sporting success at international level doesn't just happen by chance, you have to lay proper foundations, have a long-term plan and commit significant investment.

So no, nothing to do with Brexit!

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Once could be a coincidence whereas two examples = overwhelming evidence :D

Agreed. But as England also won the rugby World Cup and three consecutive Tiddlywinks worldies in 1966, 1969 and 1975. I think we have the evidence. (1972 was, erm, cancelled due to something).

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

What utter bollox , hardly ANYONE on planet earth doesn`t have connections or ancestory to another country , the yanks are made up from almost every other country in the world - apart from the native indigenous Indians .

The captain of England`s ODI team is Irish , Ryan Gigg`s was captain of England youth teams , and David Beckham now qualifies as an American citizen .

There`s enough tension out there without trying to dig up more . But as an aside , given that we do now have Brexit and Germany did everything it could to damage this country during the process , i would suggest that beating them because once again we did not succumb to their will might have played a small part .

UP the Bosch - right up em

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Thats just plain stupid. As stupid as the OP.

Sterling in the England team because of the EU? Yea right.

None of those players parents or grandparents came in because of us being in the EU as it was when we left it. They aren't old enough. Infact its a reason FOR Brexit sop we can have immigration from non-EU Countries increased.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
There's a man in a hot-air balloon. He's lost, so he shouts down to a man he sees below, "Excuse me. I am lost can you tell me where I am."
Of course. "You’re at 31 degrees, 14.57 minutes north latitude & 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude," he replies.
"You must be a remainer," he says.
"I am. How did you know?"
"Because everything you told me is factually correct, but the information doesn't help me, and I’m still lost. Frankly, you’ve been no help."
"You must be a Leaver," he replies
"Yes. How did you know?"
"You've decided to put yourself in this position. You’ve risen due to a lot of hot air. You aren't in control of what you are doing, and you expect me to solve your problem. You’re in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow now it is my fault."

Every day people like you are being proved more and more wrong as the country makes more and more deals to strengthen the UK , at some point you will have to face it - we were right :)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ok. I know this thread is gonna disappear in no time but had to post. Just listening to Radio 2 with people sending/phoning in thoughts about England game and, it was bound to happen of course but, someone texted in to say that "since Brexit" England have reached semi-final of World Cup and now beaten Germany in euros and that this was "ANOTHER BENEFIT OF BREXIT"!!
So it may just have been a wind-up but i have tried to be objective and thought is there anyway that England's result last night could have been helped by Brexit? I can think of absolutely no reason. Seems to me the only "benefit" is that some idiots booed the German Anthem.
Did Sterling score because of Brexit? No. Did Southgate bring on Grealish because of Brexit? No. We reached semi's in World Cup because of a favourable draw not because of Brexit!
Thoughts?
And mods feel free to dump this in some other area.

ANOTHER BENEFIT OF BREXIT"!!....

Not sure that's possible, we're still waiting for the first benefit 5 years on from the referendum...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This thread will no doubt be removed to the Bear Pit, and perhaps rightly so, but here's what I wrote on the Brexit thread in response to an utterly vacuous comment that Brexit inspired England to win....

'It really takes little time for the Brexit jingoistic nationalists on here to try and claim ownership of any cause for national pride. I suppose it is their way of offsetting those who blame Brexit for everything. Likewise they make laughably pathetic attempts to undermine the patriotism of the rest of us. Anything to change the subject from the thread title....

More importantly they are desperate for a 'win' and try and link their tribal loyalty to any good thing'

Thank you for your confidential endorsement 'Is it Potg?'; I hope you are well and in good humour.....
and thank you to JC Footy Genius. It's rare that you support my views and I appreciate it when it happens. Stay balanced....

Your sense of humour bypass went well then?

FFS lighten up a bit. Read this generally good-humoured thread and you'll see why it's not in the Beat Pit (although you might yet succeed in getting it there); posters on here are (mostly) not interested on what goes on in that cess pit - sorry, bear pit - most don't often muddy their feet in it, and quoting chunks of the Bear Pit out into the Main Stuff is not universally welcome. Keep 'em in that humpour-less dump please.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Every day people like you are being proved more and more wrong as the country makes more and more deals to strengthen the UK , at some point you will have to face it - we were right :)

What happened today ? I must have missed it, apart from the bit where EU citizens who want to stay here are being stitched up.
I must have had a long nap because the last deal was some time ago which will bring in an extra 0.02 and flood our shops with crap Aussie meat, it was a good deal for Australia though, not so good for our farmers.
Can't wait for tomorrow any idea who we are doing a deal with?

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
What happened today ? I must have missed it, apart from the bit where EU citizens who want to stay here are being stitched up.
I must have had a long nap because the last deal was some time ago which will bring in an extra 0.02 and flood our shops with crap Aussie meat, it was a good deal for Australia though, not so good for our farmers.
Can't wait for tomorrow any idea who we are doing a deal with?

IT`S NOT COST EFFECTIVE to send Aussie meat over here in bulk and that`s from the Aussies , have another nap

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would imagine it's more to do with the overall standard of football dropping over Lockdown.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hmm - but they reached the semi-finals last time around...

Just after the UK voted out.

Mind you, the England players did take the 'leave' instruction too literally.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Your sense of humour bypass went well then?

FFS lighten up a bit. Read this generally good-humoured thread and you'll see why it's not in the Beat Pit (although you might yet succeed in getting it there); posters on here are (mostly) not interested on what goes on in that cess pit - sorry, bear pit - most don't often muddy their feet in it, and quoting chunks of the Bear Pit out into the Main Stuff is not universally welcome. Keep 'em in that humpour-less dump please.

Oops... you have taken my comment funny....

Sense of humour shortfall on your part? I made a perfectly relevant response which clearly you didn't like. I just happened to point out that I had made it elsewhere.

Point taken about avoiding the Bear Pit, we should keep it light, but I am not surprised by your response. It was an opportunity you couldn't miss.....

Could the England success not equally be linked with the insistence of the manager that the team will 'take the knee'?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here