Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Box set please

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I LOVED Spaced when it was on the first time round, but having watched it recently, don't think it's aged at all well. I've still got Blackadder I, II, III and IV on
VHS somewhere, that always kills days at a time

Also, American, but a cross between Downton Abbey/The Godfather and Goodfellas; Boardwalk Empire. Brilliant pacing, well shot, well acted and and well written. I did series 1 and 2 in one week, it's that compelling.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Can't believe no one has mentioned Luther yet!!! Idris Elba (who I had no idea was British till I watched this - I think the yanks have done a swap with Damien Lewis on that one) from The Wire is in it, think 21st Century Cracker?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I know it's American, but "West Wing" is brilliant.

West Wing WAS brilliant, until Aaron Sorkin got bored. S5 and beyond were pony, I still haven't even watched the last episode of it. I was a MASSIVE WW fan until probably halfway through S4, and then it just seemed to run out of steam :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can you do subtitles? The original version of the Killing is Danish and although slow burning is an excellent series

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Spaced
The Office
Extras
Phoenix Nights
The Mighty Boosh
Father Ted
Black Books
Peep Show
Brasseye
I'm Alan Partridge
Flight of the Concords (Aussie)

You should like any if the above if you have even the smallest funny bone.

Kiwi :whistle:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Cracker

Spooks (IMO first series with 'standalone' episodes were better than the more recent 'series continuation episodes'

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I wouldn't dismiss all Yankee shows. Although I watched Lost, I would be the first to admit that it was over-indulgent mindf***erry from start to finish.

Bottom line for me is if a show is totally gripping and makes me want to watch another episode as soon as I've finished one then I'll recommend. For that reason I would put The Wire at the top of the list (and it does have two Brits in lead roles - Dominic West and Idris Elba) and as a close second I rate Dexter.

Clearly if you want a Comedy box set then you have no shortage of choices (see above posts). I also rate 15 Storeys High by Sean Lock, which is really dry humour and way better than his stand-up.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Irrespective of "nationality", I'm nominating Game Of Thrones.

Series 2 is out on Monday, so there's bound to be a boxset of the first two series together.

Its HBO so the production values are superb, but the cast is largely British - Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Stephen Dillane, Lena Headey, Liam Cunningham, Gethin Anthony, Harry Lloyd and Richard Madden to name but a few. I can only think of one American in the cast off the top of my head (Peter Dinklage), but he is BRILLIANT.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
It would be unbelievably ignorant to ignore "yankee" box sets. Whilst they do make some terrible programmes they also make some of the best in recent years.
The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, Game of Thrones.
If you want comedy then Modern Family always gets me laughing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Sorry, this is American but Breaking Bad is one of the very best. Great acting and fantastic story line. Hard to stomach in places and the comedy is very black.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Anyone recommend a good box set, must be British as I can't do Yankee trash.

Thanks in advance.

You must see David Simon's "The Wire", like you I don't normally go for US stuff but this is the best thing I've ever seen. Massive cast and some great characters, get it and say goodbye to the rest of your life for while.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Blackadder :wave:

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Not so much a box set but based on a true story, Roots, first aired in the 70's. Other coffin dodgers on her will remember it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here