Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bournemouth to sue hawk eye

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They won't win

'' Hawkeye '' is an '' aid '' for referees - It does not referee the match and neither does VAR for that matter.

So Bournemouth are wasting their time. I agree that it is sad that it was missed by '' Hawkeye '' but the fault lies with the Referee / VAR / And the Off Field Officials - If it is not brought to the referee's attention by VAR then Bournemouth don't have a leg to stand on in the Courts except morally.

Every Club in the League has a sad tale to tell about how they were treated unfavourably by VAR during the course of the season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every Club in the League has a sad tale to tell about how they were treated unfavourably by VAR during the course of the season.

I think the Albion were beneficeries!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They did say their system was foolproof.

On that basis the refs association made a ruling that it could never be over-ruled.

They should be sued.

I agree. This is all about rules. They are so badly written it is embarrassing. In my experience you have to have one person with wit and vision to write rules, beta-test the crap out of them, and then have the strength of personality to persuade all the other cretins on the committee to agree. And if it goes tits up there is someone to carry the can.

My guess is there was/is no leadership about the rules of the game. The written version I saw a couple of years ago is actually illiterate. If is an absolute disgrace, and typically 'old school' middle management English. A bunch of stiffs get together for a liquid lunch and fine meal, them make a few suggestions about tweaking the sacred rules, possibly one twit suggests a radical change that hasn't been thought through, the others say what a tremendous chap he is and it is carried on a show of grubby hands. The *****.

That said the decision cannot and will not (and arguably should not) be overruled now. Instead B'Muff should be given a huge slice of next year's TV money from the shitehouse side that stayed up in their stead. Let's see....that would be....Aston Villa! Jobza Goodun.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolutely no way the relegation places will be changed, so the only possible issue is a bit od financial compensation. Was Hawkeye actually switched on? - in which case they might have a case for negligence against whoever's job it was to switch it on. Similar if Hawkete wasn't set up properly on the day. Can't see much other hope for B'muff.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They did say their system was foolproof.

On that basis the refs association made a ruling that it could never be over-ruled.

They should be sued.

I have a view on that

I think the ref might have missed his watch beeping when it went over the line . The was too frightened to admit he might have made a mistake.

I don't know if it is possible to miss it or not ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would be amazed if the Premier League didn't have clubs signed up to not sue if there was a technological malfunction.

I thought that, but then, Bournemouth are no longer a premier league club, so perhaps if there is an agreement it no longer applies?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Not sure what they hope to achieve through this approach and someone has already pointed out this is consequential and not something that happened to them in the first party.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That said the decision cannot and will not (and arguably should not) be overruled now. Instead B'Muff should be given a huge slice of next year's TV money from the shitehouse side that stayed up in their stead. Let's see....that would be....Aston Villa! Jobza Goodun.

Sorry, but thats bonkers. There is no possible way of knowing how that match would've played out had the goal been given. The assumption that Sheff Utd would have won that game is exactly that - a blind assumption, based on nothing but a snapshot of what the score would have been in the 41st minute of that game. No bookie in the world would have paid out on a Sheffield win at that point.

And that also ignores the fact that Plucky have been utter shithouse the entire season, had 38 chances to accumulate points they needed, and failed. Pinning their relegation on ONE INCIDENT in a game they were not even involved in is beyond ridiculous.

They deserve nothing except the relegation they earned by being junk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine a jury trial where to had to sit through playback of *every* Bournemouth game of the season in order to make that call. Hell!

Alternatively they could just show the 'highlights' package and it'll all be over before they'd have popped the corn.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Correct wording from Sky
"Bournemouth's board will meet later this week to discuss the possibility of pursuing a compensation claim against Hawk-Eye, whose mistake may have contributed to their relegation "
Not so definite, but maybe? If they do it will at least draw attention to the hopeless failings of these technologies. I say , let the ref decide...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, but thats bonkers. There is no possible way of knowing how that match would've played out had the goal been given. The assumption that Sheff Utd would have won that game is exactly that - a blind assumption, based on nothing but a snapshot of what the score would have been in the 41st minute of that game. No bookie in the world would have paid out on a Sheffield win at that point.

And that also ignores the fact that Plucky have been utter shithouse the entire season, had 38 chances to accumulate points they needed, and failed. Pinning their relegation on ONE INCIDENT in a game they were not even involved in is beyond ridiculous.

They deserve nothing except the relegation they earned by being junk.

I think I generally agree with this. But this whole argument is also true of every refereeing decision, and I don't think that's ever stopped large swathes of people from claiming a referee mistake cost them the game, their place in the cup, the title, etc. The whole game turned on said mistake. If he doesn't send that player off, if he doesn't give that penalty, if they don't wrongly flag that offside, and so on.

How many people have argued we would have beaten saints at home if Andone hadn't got sent off? And so on.

Football fandom is regularly fuelled by similar blind assumptions, that are seemingly accepted by the majority. So I don't think I'd be as strong in the 'it's bonkers!' camp, since it's such a common thought process. But I do agree we have no idea how things would have played out if it had been given.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So why are Bournemouth doing it then?

That rule talks about invalidating a match, which nobody is talking about

I think Hawkeye will win as well, but in any action where there are enormous financial disparities, there is always a risk that the smaller party can be bullied into settling

Not quite sure that Hawk-Eye Innovations are the "smaller party" here. According to Companies House Sony Europe BV is a "person with significant control".
The accounts to 31-3-19 show a turnover in excess of £41m and a very healthy balance sheet too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The game ain't perfect, PLB need to get over it and make sure they still have Russia's backing...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I have a view on that

I think the ref might have missed his watch beeping when it went over the line . The was too frightened to admit he might have made a mistake.

I don't know if it is possible to miss it or not ?

It beeps, it vibrates, it lights up, and the referee was looking at it because he suspected it had gone in. If it had beeped the referee could not have missed it. Hawkeye have said that it was switched on but the technology wasn't good enough to get the result right in the time.

And ignore the suggestion that Hawkeye claimed the system was foolproof. They did not. Has any manufacturer of complicated technology ever claimed their system was foolproof? No, they haven't. Treat that suggestion with contempt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here