Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bournemouth to sue hawk eye

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst I have every sympathy for Bournemouth (I would have been incandescent with rage if it had been us) s**t happens. I remember Clive Allen smashing one into the back stantion for QPR years ago for it to bounce back into play and the goal not registering. Leaves a nasty taste but I am sure the Premier League have got it sewn up like they usually do. They might want learn from this and to think about referees using TV replays in situations like this, after all, everyone wants the right decision made if humanly possible.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The PGMOL.

I thought it was said after the game that the goal line technology couldn't be over-ruled.

Has this been retracted?

The Referee's Association is a different organisation. The PGMOL are a separate body that don't seem to be accountable to anyone.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I don't disagree but surely you're statistically more likely to win from 1-0 up than from 0-0? I could be wrong.

You may be right, but historical stats don’t guarantee the outcome of a match. No basis to say we’d have won at Leicester or Bournemouth would not have been relegated.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It beeps, it vibrates, it lights up, and the referee was looking at it because he suspected it had gone in. If it had beeped the referee could not have missed it. Hawkeye have said that it was switched on but the technology wasn't good enough to get the result right in the time.

And ignore the suggestion that Hawkeye claimed the system was foolproof. They did not. Has any manufacturer of complicated technology ever claimed their system was foolproof? No, they haven't. Treat that suggestion with contempt.

I never said it was ''Foolproof''

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Didn’t they lose heavily at home to Newcastle after the Hawkeye incident, surely they should focus their attention on their own shortcomings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I have given this a great deal of thought, weighing up both the ‘for’ and ‘against’ arguments and have come to the following conclusions
‘Snivelling bunch of wankers’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
As highlighted on MotD, Bmuff have had a shockingly bad defence for all 5 of their Premier League seasons. Howe is a good manager, but he could never sort out the defence, despite having Ake at its heart. That's why Bmuff have gone down - not because Hawkeye and/or VAR got it wrong.

Interesting point, as Villa finished with a worse goals against record than muff, also if that Villa game had finished 1-0 to Sheffield United their win draw loss record would have been identical, but muff would have stayed up on goal difference

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
So Hawk Eye will see their Legal Eagle...:D

i'll get me coat....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bournemouth's problem is that whilst they can easily prove that a goal should have been given and that the technology screwed up, what they can't prove is what would have happened following that. Would conceding the goal have motivated Villa to get an equalizer. Maybe they would have conceded even more. Bournemouth can prove nothing. They won't pursue this as they'll become the laughing stock of football.

el punal

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread so I don’t know if mine is duplicating someone else’s - if so, sorry. Up to point I have some sympathy for Bournemouth and also Sheffield Utd if the extra two points could have given them a Europa Cup spot. The thing is it was a mistake, an appalling one for sure, but if there had been no technology then the ref and linesman would have been blamed. There have been enough incidents in the past to suggest that it’s tough titty time - you have to accept it and move on, and the powers that be try and ensure that there is no repeat.

The other thing in all of this is that Bournemouth have only themselves to blame. This incident happened 9 games before the end of the season so it was hardly a calamitous last game, last minute travesty of justice. The fact is they were awful and didn’t improve until it was far too late to make amends. In the end the table doesn’t lie, Bournemouth didn’t accumulate enough points to survive and that’s the end of it.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
There might (might) have been scope for declaring the result void straight after the game, and ordering a replay. Presumably that would be the case, that the PL/PGMOL should have done that and did not.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I have every sympathy for Bournemouth (I would have been incandescent with rage if it had been us) s**t happens. I remember Clive Allen smashing one into the back stantion for QPR years ago for it to bounce back into play and the goal not registering. Leaves a nasty taste but I am sure the Premier League have got it sewn up like they usually do. They might want learn from this and to think about referees using TV replays in situations like this, after all, everyone wants the right decision made if humanly possible.

I think the Clive Allen one was for palace, which does make it hilarious.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I don't disagree but surely you're statistically more likely to win from 1-0 up than from 0-0? I could be wrong.

I dont disagree but I think in the Burnley game it said we had given away 13/14 goal leads this season. My feeling would have been we wouldnt have gone on to win that one.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
I think Bournemouth should sue, so that they can lose even more money when they lose their case, and get lumbered with Hawkeye's legal costs as well.

It's worth noting that Watford have remained silent and therefore have accepted their relegation far better than plucky Bournemouth seem to be doing.

The club hasn't said anything unless you can point us towards an official source ? Our board are notorious in the fact they rarely say anything to anyone ever. Its tighter than a ducks arse and thats watertight so at the moment this article is just pure speculation.

We went down because were were shit for most of the season, 99.9% of the clubs support and the playing staff would agree with me. No one would expect relegation to be rescinded, however I've no issue with any club taking on the PL / VAR / Hawkeye as these shysters have ruined the game for the average fan. If it does happen it won't be about relegation, that's happened, done and dusted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The club hasn't said anything unless you can point us towards an official source ? Our board are notorious in the fact they rarely say anything to anyone ever. Its tighter than a ducks arse and thats watertight so at the moment this article is just pure speculation.

We went down because were were shit for most of the season, 99.9% of the clubs support and the playing staff would agree with me. No one would expect relegation to be rescinded, however I've no issue with any club taking on the PL / VAR / Hawkeye as these shysters have ruined the game for the average fan. If it does happen it won't be about relegation, that's happened, done and dusted.

Can I just say that I thought tou were really unlucky to go down in the manner you did. Feel for you, even if I did want to see you go! I would have preferred it to be Villa over the two of you though. Hang on to Smug and the nucleus of the team and I think you’ll be back.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Can I just say that I thought tou were really unlucky to go down in the manner you did. Feel for you, even if I did want to see you go!

Cheers. It was an awful season, I just wanted it to end. Not blaming anyone but the manager and a few players who clearly had their minds elsewhere (Fraser the snivelling little shit admitting he hadn't put in a shift for the season, then refusing to extend his contract) King getting his head turned by Man U and a few others ready to jump ship. Eddie Howe with some of the strangest managerial decisions and formations ever seen. Nah, we deserved it, no excuses.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As posted earlier, I am firmly in the 'we don't know how things would have played out if the goal was awarded' camp.

Having said that, I don't think the argument 'maybe if you didn't lose against x/lose so many games' arguments misses the point a bit. Work on the assumption that goal is awarded as it should have been and nothing else changes, the game ends 1-0 to Sheffield utd. Villa have one less point and Bournemouth have, over the course of 38 games done enough to stay up. They would have won/drawn/lost the same number of games as Villa, but would have a better goal difference - enough to stay up, based on the regular happenings of a football season. Deserved wins, lucky wins, deserved losses, unfortunate losses, refereeing mistakes, everything that has always been part and parcel of football. What hasn't been part and parcel of football since it's introduction, is hawkeye errors. That is something that has never been 'part of the game' in the way a lino missing an offside has been.

Yeah, Bournemouth could have done more to survive, but without the hawkeye screw up, there is a very good chance they would have stayed up (4th best defence v 6th worst attack, the rest of the game played out without villa scoring).

Their argument is (hypothetically, we don't know if they will sue or not), if not for the non-goal, they did do enough to stay up.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As posted earlier, I am firmly in the 'we don't know how things would have played out if the goal was awarded' camp.

Having said that, I don't think the argument 'maybe if you didn't lose against x/lose so many games' arguments misses the point a bit. Work on the assumption that goal is awarded as it should have been and nothing else changes, the game ends 1-0 to Sheffield utd. Villa have one less point and Bournemouth have, over the course of 38 games done enough to stay up. They would have won/drawn/lost the same number of games as Villa, but would have a better goal difference - enough to stay up, based on the regular happenings of a football season. Deserved wins, lucky wins, deserved losses, unfortunate losses, refereeing mistakes, everything that has always been part and parcel of football. What hasn't been part and parcel of football since it's introduction, is hawkeye errors. That is something that has never been 'part of the game' in the way a lino missing an offside has been.

Yeah, Bournemouth could have done more to survive, but without the hawkeye screw up, there is a very good chance they would have stayed up (4th best defence v 6th worst attack, the rest of the game played out without villa scoring).

Their argument is (hypothetically, we don't know if they will sue or not), if not for the non-goal, they did do enough to stay up.

That is neatly avoiding the fact that had Villa been that point worse off before the West Ham game they may have gone for a win, instead of knowing a draw would be enough!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have a view on that

I think the ref might have missed his watch beeping when it went over the line . The was too frightened to admit he might have made a mistake.

I don't know if it is possible to miss it or not ?

This is nonsense.

Hawkeye came out and issued a statement immediately after the match that the system was turned on and working normally (it was reporting "goals" when the subs were shooting into the nets at half-time) but the specific circumstances of the incident were such that the technology wasn't able to triangulate the position of the ball (due to interference from the players and post) and therefore a goal couldn't be signalled by the technology. It was, apparently, the first time this had happened in over 9,000 instances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here