Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bournemouth to sue hawk eye

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There’s no chance of Hawkeye losing:

Under the heading ‘Match Validity’ — which incorporates technology advances — the rulebook states: ‘In principle, a match is not invalidated because of malfunction of the VAR technology (as for goal-line technology).’

So why are Bournemouth doing it then?

That rule talks about invalidating a match, which nobody is talking about

I think Hawkeye will win as well, but in any action where there are enormous financial disparities, there is always a risk that the smaller party can be bullied into settling

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So why are Bournemouth doing it then?

That rule talks about invalidating a match, which nobody is talking about

I think Hawkeye will win as well, but in any action where there are enormous financial disparities, there is always a risk that the smaller party can be bullied into settling

I don’t think they are doing it. There are media reports that they are discussing doing it.
As to whether that is the correct rule to quote, if they are not questioning the validity of the result then on what grounds would they think they have a complaint ?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If this went to court I suspect we'd find out what really happened - it wasn't turned on and Hawkeye not at fault.

If Bournemouth were that worried about it they should have made a real stink about it at the time and perhaps the game would have been replayed. But then Villa would have had the chance to get 3 points instead of 1 so all in all Muff were probably ok with the outcome at the time.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I would accept the outcome and just bring it up at every opportunity in the future. That’s part of being a football fan. Suing when decisions go against you would destroy the game. Where would it end ?

But this isn’t a matter of opinion, open to interpretation ala VAR. This is a system that is supposed to be “fool proof”. Obviously Bournemouth were where they were on merit, but if I was a Bournemouth fan I’d be fuming that Villa stayed up at my club’s expense because of a technical cock up.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I get the frustration, but tbh this is a fruitless gesture. It won’t change things now, no matter how unfair the incident was at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Bournemouth to discuss taking legal action against Hawk-Eye.

The goal-line tech firm apologised after their system failed to give a goal for Sheffield United against Aston Villa.

thoughts....

I would expect the company covers itself by saying it's 99.9% successful. If the cameras are obscured from all angles then it won't work. Maybe they should sue the league for having awful VAR personnel.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
IF they decide to go down this route then it would be absolutely pathetic. Muff were relegated because they lost 22 out of 38 games, shipping 65 goals in the process. A single isolated cock-up in a game they were not even involved in 9 games before the end of the season had nothing to do with it.

They had plenty of opportunities to dig themselves out of bother, but in the end, they were just too shit. This would be laughed out of any court they take it to.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They did say their system was foolproof.

On that basis the refs association made a ruling that it could never be over-ruled.

They should be sued.
First two statements are both false. Hawkeye didn't claim it was foolproof, and the ref's association didn't say it could never be overruled.

If the referee's button had gone off to say goal when the ball was in the middle of the field, would he have given a goal or would he have overruled it?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
As highlighted on MotD, Bmuff have had a shockingly bad defence for all 5 of their Premier League seasons. Howe is a good manager, but he could never sort out the defence, despite having Ake at its heart. That's why Bmuff have gone down - not because Hawkeye and/or VAR got it wrong.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I would be amazed if the Premier League didn't have clubs signed up to not sue if there was a technological malfunction.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

The goal-line tech firm apologised after their system failed to give a goal for Sheffield United against Aston Villa.

thoughts....
It isn't going to happen. All they have said is that they won't rule it out. But their chances of success are negligible and they have already signed up to the principle that the ref's decision is final, even when it's wrong; to win this case they will have to "unsign" that principle.

To sue Hawkeye, they have to prove negligence. Hawkeye can and will argue that 1 mistake in 9,000 games is reasonable and they had made all reasonable efforts to get it right. Bournemouth could sue the PL on the grounds of contractual failure, and for that they would have to prove either that the "referee is always right" rule is unfair, or that they have somehow been treated unfairly due to bias or misconduct. It won't happen.

If it does, it'll be a nightmare. It's bad enough waiting for VAR to give a decision. Imagine having to wait for the Crown Court before you can celebrate a goal! :D

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Amazing, I had hoped for some technology based controversy to make the headlines of relegation

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don’t think they are doing it. There are media reports that they are discussing doing it.
As to whether that is the correct rule to quote, if they are not questioning the validity of the result then on what grounds would they think they have a complaint ?

Correct ..the thread title is misleading.. poster must be a journalist :whistle:

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South

thoughts....

Good. With the amount of global growth and exposure the EPL has worldwide now and the massive monetary risks that come with playing in the most compelling type of league in the world (promotion/regulation) the EPL needs clarity with this technology stuff. Affecting the livelihoods of clubs, including tertiary business related to the demand for visiting the grounds, should demand clarity about this stuff.

Plus, I flipping hate Villa, and the more exposure highlighting they shouldn’t really be here the better. I know it won’t work but pressure needs to start being applied in some places.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I would be amazed if the Premier League didn't have clubs signed up to not sue if there was a technological malfunction.

If this season has proved anything, it's that the Premier League don't have a plan for if things go wrong! I would not be at all surprised if they hadn't anticipated this scenario - I suspect they heard the high accuracy stats and took that to mean infallible.

If the accuracy is 99.9% (suspect it's marketed much higher than that), that's potentially accepting around 1 goal per season wrongly allowed/disallowed. But it would only actually be noticed on marginal decisions like this - if the ball is obviously over the line, would the ref even register if his watch hadn't buzzed?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I just don't understand why VAR didn't just say to the ref, "look, we've seen it, is was over the line. The whole point of our systems and rules etc is to ensure correct decisions are made, there was an error with Hawk-Eye on this occassion, the rule that we don't make calls on this is because we defer to Hawk-Eye, it's supposed to be accurate. There was a mistake here, we can correct it, so lets correct it. Getting decisions right has to be the most important thing, that's the whole point of us being here".

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
It does seem incredible to me also that there isn't some sort of notification from hawkeye if it can't see the ball.

All it would have needed was a little red light in the VAR room to let them know that all the hawkeye camera angles were "occluded", so they'd need to have a look themselves

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If VAR is 99.9% accurate it’s almost certainly more accurate than the human bods who reffed more or less alone in the past.

Nominate the refs the Albion should have sued for “dodge” decisions in the past! Including the first FA Cup Final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here