Boston Marathon + all other related incidents UPDATED

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That doesn't mean they suspected anything.

Well it seemed that way to the witness who was there.

“They kept making announcements on the loud speaker that it was just a drill and there was nothing to worry about,” Coach Ali Stevenson told Local 15. “It seemed like there was some sort of threat, but they kept telling us it was just a drill.”

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sounds like they had some idea that there was a threat. Should have evacuated and stopped the race, could have saved lives.

UM Coach: Bomb Sniffing Dogs Were at Start, Finish Lines for “Drill”� | WPMI-TV | Local15TV.com

that would only be "odd" if sniffer dogs were not routinely at such events, do we know that they aren't? also it is not the standard practice to given in and cancel events to every threat, its kinda surrender to them remember? no doubt this is a false flag to distract from other events, like NKorea. or a local nutter(s). reality is (as anyone with a memory that goes back before the internet) these size of bombs are very easy to make and the people who do so have often the stupidest of grievences.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Well it seemed that way to the witness who was there.

“They kept making announcements on the loud speaker that it was just a drill and there was nothing to worry about,” Coach Ali Stevenson told Local 15. “It seemed like there was some sort of threat, but they kept telling us it was just a drill.”

I did a bomb drill yesterday, it included a 2 phase search & evacuating the whole crew off the ship. We haven't been told of any threat though, it's just routine preparedness in this day & age unfortunately.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
that would only be "odd" if sniffer dogs were not routinely at such events, do we know that they aren't? also it is not the standard practice to given in and cancel events to every threat, its kinda surrender to them remember? no doubt this is a false flag to distract from other events, like NKorea. or a local nutter(s).

I guess the fact that they reassured people that "it" was just a drill suggests that whatever they were doing would have appeared to those there to be unusual and worthy of concern, so I guess whatever they were doing was not routine security detail. I wasn't there, it's the witness who says this.

I guess when there is a bomb threat, someone has to make a judgement call, I always thought that the sensible policy was that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Your talking shit trying to build this up, you should be ashamed, I have friends and family in NYC and I'm sure others do on here, do not try and sitre.
Agreed. The Mayor and NYPD will be taking a “measured response” in light of what has happened in Boston. New Yorkers, as well as Londoners no doubt, take these things in their stride

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I guess the fact that they reassured people that "it" was just a drill suggests that whatever they were doing would have appeared to those there to be unusual and worthy of concern, so I guess whatever they were doing was not routine security detail. I wasn't there, it's the witness who says this.

I guess when there is a bomb threat, someone has to make a judgement call, I always thought that the sensible policy was that it's better to be safe than sorry.

They have sniffer dogs at a lot of high-profile events, this doesn't mean they knew anything at all. Given the recent shootings, I'd suspect a larger police presence would have been justified.

P.S Mises & Hayek > Friedman.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i guess when there is a bomb threat, someone has to make a judgement call, I always thought that the sensible policy was that it's better to be safe than sorry.

the problem is there are so many threats (at least in London, dont know about Boston) that you'd close up shop to be safe. sensible policy is to take suitable measures. sadly sometimes they arent enough - as they used to say they only have to get it right once - but the alternative is giving in.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
The ball bearings would be strapped to the bomb device so creating more carnage as flying shrapnel, a terrorist trait

I know all about what is used for shrapnel. I currently hold a British Army Dems qualification (basically making bombs and blowing shit up).

I was just getting some value out of the statement someone made a couple of pages back along the lines of "they've found ball bearings so it must be terrorists".

Btw I think it is terrorists. But the ball bearings had no impact in my thought process.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Scary sounding stuff (explosions) at Boston Marathon

I know all about what is used for shrapnel. I currently hold a British Army Dems qualification (basically making bombs and blowing shit up).

I was just getting some value out of the statement someone made a couple of pages back along the lines of "they've found ball bearings so it must be terrorists".

Btw I think it is terrorists. But the ball bearings had no impact in my thought process.

The point being made i assume was that it was less likely to be an accident such as a gas explosion if there were ball bearings present in the street.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They have sniffer dogs at a lot of high-profile events, this doesn't mean they knew anything at all. Given the recent shootings, I'd suspect a larger police presence would have been justified.

:lolol: & Rothbard :thumbsup:

Nobody is saying that bomb sniffing dogs are unusual, just that they were apparently a) searching the start/finish lines just before the devices went off, and b) they made a point of reassuring people that there was nothing to worry about.

So this is not just the presence of the dogs at the event. This is just based on what the witness said and how he felt about it, make of it what you will, but nobody is suggesting that security at a large public event is unusual.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
:lolol: & Rothbard :thumbsup:

Nobody is saying that bomb sniffing dogs are unusual, just that they were apparently a) searching the start/finish lines just before the devices went off, and b) they made a point of reassuring people that there was nothing to worry about.

So this is not just the presence of the dogs at the event. This is just based on what the witness said and how he felt about it, make of it what you will, but nobody is suggesting that security at a large public event is unusual.

Not read enough of Rothbard.

Perhaps I've been reading everything from a different POV. Apologies.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Just saw the recent footage of this on the news. Really amazing the job the emergency services do at these sort of tragic incidents. People running away but the police remaining there calmly trying to sort everyone out, despite probably being terrified themselves for their own safety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports