Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boro will claim top spot within 3 games?

Will 'Boro pass us soon?

• Yes they will they have a large expensive squad.

Votes: 82 49.4%
  • No we are miles better.......money ....phah

Votes: 84 50.6%

• Total voters

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Boro and Reading are looking good. We have shown in the last 2 games why we would do well to reach the play offs and will probably finish mid table. Better than last season. Job in progress.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Boro will be champions by Christmas if they keep getting luck like that against Leeds.
I didn't watch it, how were they lucky to win 3 nil?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think we have to face the fact that Middlesbrough have a superior squad, particularly in terms of forwards, seeing that they could afford to sell Lee Tomlin to Bournemouth and Jelle Vossen to Burnley (interestingly he hardly played for them last season except towards the end) and were able to replace them with Christian Stuani and David Nugent. I was rather disappointed that we didn't make a greater effort (or maybe we were pipped at the post by Middlesbrough) at signing Stuani. I have a strong inkling (that notorious list that he was supposed to have given Tony Bloom) that he was one of the players Oscar wanted, and I think Frutos posted at one point that we were in for him.
They didn't sell Vossen...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We have built up a solid gap between us and 3rd which will take some run from the pack to displace us from the auto spots. Some very winnable games coming up at home and if we keep this run going we could be in a very strong position come Xmas.

Only issue is there's 4 or 5 teams 6 points behind us so one or two are bound to go on a good run the next 5 games. It basically means we can't slip up or we'll def get punished - not a normal 6 point cushion situation unfortunately..

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Last game of the season: Middlesbrough (1st) host Brighton (2nd) level on points but both with a far inferior GD than Derby (or whoever) 3 points behind. What do you think would happen?

The Dell, Southampton, 1978

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
A steady 5 miles for me 6.37 pace,
Ran my leg of the the Round Norfolk Relay last Sunday 10.6 miles in 1hr 7 min, 6.22 pace. 6th position overall individual & team and we won the mixed team prIze. Happy days!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Last game of the season: Middlesbrough (1st) host Brighton (2nd) level on points but both with a far inferior GD than Derby (or whoever) 3 points behind. What do you think would happen?
We'd lose.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think they will wait until the last game of the season.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
We'd lose.

As a Boro fan myself, I wouldn't be so sure of that Triggaaar.

Needless to say it has crossed the minds of plenty of fans on our board too, the possibility of the tables increasing proportionately like for like throughout the season which would see both our teams in the early hundreds in terms of points. The nearest challengers would have points in the region of the mid-seventies which would probably have us both promoted before march was out and that the final game could be a showdown for the title.

We also discussed the possibility of us both being two points ahead of the nearest challenger in 3rd, both with a vastly superior GD to that team and wondered a lot like posters on here what would happen in that final game.

Given that we know a lot how AK operates a most likely result would be a sportsman's draw. AK would approach the game in an entirely professional manner with a safety first policy. It's what he does. A few times this season, some of our fans have bemoaned (not that I see they have anything to complain about) why when winning comfortably we don't put pedal to the metal, like against Bolton when winning 3 nil after around half an hour why we took our foot off the gas instead have looking for a Bournemouth esque score last season as it's not like we were in danger of them drawing level? The answer being that once AK considers a game won he will instruct his players to coast through the rest of it, exerting just enough control to keep it as it is, reason being that his players aren't tired for the next game as it's a 46 game season plus cup runs.

If you cast your mind back to the last game of last season at the Riverside. The Playoffs were assured yet the place was rammed and going into it a win looked like giving us an easier route to the final as we'd be guaranteed 3rd. So what did AK do? I imagine he instructed the players to hold the game at Nil-nil if poss till he received word how the other sides were getting on. An hour into the game word got through to him that Norwich were winning, Derby were getting panelled and Brentford were roaring ahead and currently sat in 5th. After a quick calculation he gave instructions to his sub and sent him on to feed back to Leadbitter the captain who was about to take a free kick; We want fourth and Brentford. We're playing for the draw. None of this has been publicly stated, but after the sub coming on ran straight to Leads and had a word, our captain calmly turned and used the opportunity of the advantageous free kick in a good position to nonchalently boot the ball back to our keeper. We then saw the game out owing to keeping possession and controlling the game.

Though I don't imagine for one minute that you're the same side to play against as in May. With his first summer with you guys completed it's fully Hughton's team now, he has the nous and experience to improve a team rapidly and the start you've had to your season will bear that out. I'm simply thinking it likely that AK would do as imagined.

This assumes of course that Huughton would feel the same. Having experienced promotion before and knowing what a difference it makes moneywise this year, there's a good chance he would.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Needless to say it has crossed the minds of plenty of fans on our board too, the possibility of the tables increasing proportionately like for like throughout the season which would see both our teams in the early hundreds in terms of points. The nearest challengers would have points in the region of the mid-seventies which would probably have us both promoted before march was out and that the final game could be a showdown for the title.

We also discussed the possibility of us both being two points ahead of the nearest challenger in 3rd, both with a vastly superior GD to that team and wondered a lot like posters on here what would happen in that final game.

Given that we know a lot how AK operates a most likely result would be a sportsman's draw. AK would approach the game in an entirely professional manner with a safety first policy. It's what he does. A few times this season, some of our fans have bemoaned (not that I see they have anything to complain about) why when winning comfortably we don't put pedal to the metal, like against Bolton when winning 3 nil after around half an hour why we took our foot off the gas instead have looking for a Bournemouth esque score last season as it's not like we were in danger of them drawing level? The answer being that once AK considers a game won he will instruct his players to coast through the rest of it, exerting just enough control to keep it as it is, reason being that his players aren't tired for the next game as it's a 46 game season plus cup runs.

If you cast your mind back to the last game of last season at the Riverside. The Playoffs were assured yet the place was rammed and going into it a win looked like giving us an easier route to the final as we'd be guaranteed 3rd. So what did AK do? I imagine he instructed the players to hold the game at Nil-nil if poss till he received word how the other sides were getting on. An hour into the game word got through to him that Norwich were winning, Derby were getting panelled and Brentford were roaring ahead and currently sat in 5th. After a quick calculation he gave instructions to his sub and sent him on to feed back to Leadbitter the captain who was about to take a free kick; We want fourth and Brentford. We're playing for the draw. None of this has been publicly stated, but after the sub coming on ran straight to Leads and had a word, our captain calmly turned and used the opportunity of the advantageous free kick in a good position to nonchalently boot the ball back to our keeper. We then saw the game out owing to keeping possession and controlling the game.

Though I don't imagine for one minute that you're the same side to play against as in May. With his first summer with you guys completed it's fully Hughton's team now, he has the nous and experience to improve a team rapidly and the start you've had to your season will bear that out. I'm simply thinking it likely that AK would do as imagined.

This assumes of course that Huughton would feel the same. Having experienced promotion before and knowing what a difference it makes moneywise this year, there's a good chance he would.

Thanks, great post.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wasn't being particularly serious.

Needless to say it has crossed the minds of plenty of fans on our board too, the possibility of the tables increasing proportionately like for like throughout the season which would see both our teams in the early hundreds in terms of points.
Lol. In our dreams. You're understandably strong favourites to take the title, the playoffs would be a decent achievement for us.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think Boro will overtake us at some time & go on to win the league at a canter.
I also thought that Derby would win the league at a canter last season & they didn't even make the play offs.

As Nigel Atkins would say they would do ok if they can keep up with us

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
I wasn't being particularly serious.

Lol. In our dreams. You're understandably strong favourites to take the title, the playoffs would be a decent achievement for us.

I was just giving my opinion on what would be likely to happen were the season to pan out like that.

Of course how your season goes from here is shrouded in mystery for now. I think it as near to certain you will do better than last season.

You could be this years Bournemouth, appearing from nowhere and staying right up there till the season ends whilst everyone expects you to fall away.

You could also be this season's Forest, ruling the roost early doors, but then dropping rapidly, finishing somewhere in mid-table.

Or somewhere in between, you could be this year's Brentford, getting into the playoffs on the last day, still enough to make the rest of the league take note and even if you didn't triumph through them, still sufficent to generate a wave of optimism around the place that you're going places which as well as giving your team confidence may convince your chairman to part with substancial sums of cash to have a pop at the autos the following season.

My own thoughts and I still wouldn't put money on it as there's just too many variables, are that the Brentford finish looks the most realistic. Much as I wouldn't mind you coming up through the autos with us should we manage to do it (the Prem needs new blood to stop it getting stale and though I wasn't at the game last season at your place, the lads who did go said you were a decent bunch, who applauded the away following when announced) and also the fact that less points may be enough to go up this year, for you to get the same points as we did last season would require a swing of +39 points up on last year. Bournemouth managed an improvement in the mid twenties on the 13/14 season which saw them up and were considered a bolt from the blue, although strangely more so than Watford, despite the fact the hornets improved their previous campaign by about 28-29 I think?

Likewise I can't see you falling away as much as Forest did. Stuart Pearce, whilst an inspirational player and decent coach isn't a top manager. Chris Hughton is and has been consistently. Why that fat clown in charge of the skunks up the road from us gave him the shove in favour of firstly Pardew then John bloody Carver despite Hughton taking over as caretaker, getting them promoted then seeing them up into the european places partway through the season when he got the boot God only knows, but there you go.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am as shocked as anyone by the start we have made, but I see a squad of players now who come off a football field and they are disappointed if they drop 2 points. That's a sign of a team with confidence in their own ability and for me that's a good sign

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
FACT

In the last 12 years (of the modern championship) only two teams who were leading after 9 games have not gone on to be promoted.

FACT

Most of those promoted teams have returned to the Championship quicksmart.

FACT

The spread of points of the 9 game leaders in that period is 19-24 points, 21 is about or slightly above average.

October will be a decisive month...

M

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here