Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson to hold press conference at 4pm

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
This x 100.

This is a very fast moving situation. Put yourself in his shoes. He has to listen to the experts, when things change he then has to react. Everyone cries u-turn, but if things change what is he supposed to do?...

Perhaps he shouldn't be making promises he may not be able to keep

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And yet during the summer when pubs and bars were packed, tens of thousands on protests, town centres packed, gyms open etc there was no big spikes in numbers?

Oh the same as every other country in Europe and further afield then during the summer. Don't think it matters who's in charge the result would be the same. Too many disregarded the measures in place mainly uni grads who thought it would not affect them

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't the government have some responsibility if people have become blase? Some people are always going to think it won't affect them but their messaging has been pretty shocking and inconsistent

The Government are fully responsible. They are the ones that set the rules and then blatantly failed to enforce them. You don't need to be Einstein to know that if you make rules and then your Police force announce that they aren't going to enforce them then those members of the public that couldn't give a damn, will do exactly that.

They have been continually behind the curve when it comes to making decisions. More worried about popularity of decisions instead of the efficacy of them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh the same as every other country in Europe and further afield then during the summer. Don't think it matters who's in charge the result would be the same. Too many disregarded the measures in place mainly uni grads who thought it would not affect them

Would love to see your evidence for that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Blaming the public of which you and I are ..could also be seen as an easy cop out

From what I’ve witnessed first hand from some members of the public I’d disagree. I have no insight into the workings of the Government though.

But hey, let’s blame Boris for EVERYTHING :shrug:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Hate him for being cautious with the lives of his electorate.
Or
Hate him for being reckless with the lives of his electorate.

Being popular & PM aren't mutually exclusive.
Boris wants the former much more than the latter, and we've seen just how badly he wants the latter.

A very dangerous man

Do you honestly think anybody could've done any better ?, if so please explain because I'm sure numerous governments would be interested as they are all suffering the same fate

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The Government are fully responsible. They are the ones that set the rules and then blatantly failed to enforce them. You don't need to be Einstein to know that if you make rules and then your Police force announce that they aren't going to enforce them then those members of the public that couldn't give a damn, will do exactly that.

They have been continually behind the curve when it comes to making decisions. More worried about popularity of decisions instead of the efficacy of them.

Exactly this ^

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From what I’ve witnessed first hand from some members of the public I’d disagree. I have no insight into the workings of the Government though.

But hey, let’s blame Boris for EVERYTHING :shrug:

Who said let’s blame Boris for everything ..not me ..but they the government should take a certain amount of the responsibility :shrug:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Hooray.

The virus has mutated into something considerably more contageous.

Wouldn't surprise me if next week they find out that the vaccine doesn't work against it.

More contagious doesn’t mean more or equally deadly, they simple don’t know that yet. I suspect it may be what has happened with other viruses where they become more contagious but less deadly, that’s if the new strain even exists.

I know there was a more contagious version found in Spain recently which scientists said didn’t appear as deadly, the way Boris said the virus ‘could be up to 77% more contagious’ seems like very flakey scientific language at best.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
More contagious doesn’t mean more or equally deadly, they simple don’t know that yet. I suspect it may be what has happened with other viruses where they become more contagious but less deadly, that’s if the new strain even exists.

I know there was a more contagious version found in Spain recently which scientists said didn’t appear as deadly, the way Boris said the virus ‘could be up to 77% more contagious’ seems like very flakey scientific language at best.

An Italian Doctor said the same months ago, he was just ignored and laughed at.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This thread is a mixture of political point scoring and America style Covid denial.
Abysmal

Indeed. It's clear the government have made many mistakes (same as many governments left/right/centre which is not an excuse just a statement of fact) but I get the feeling if they had taken the opposite path or listened to all the social media 'experts' we would be in a broadly similar place (see also SNP run Scotland or Labour-run Wales having the same problems).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Good luck to whoever is going to attempt to stop those from tier 4 areas travelling to go Christmas shopping in nearby towns in tier 2, seems like a fantastic way to spread this ‘new strain’ :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here