Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris johnson as the p.m

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So how was the reporter "hounding" him ?? this is a transcript of the exchange , the london mayor , basically refusing to talk to london's only evening paper
I'm well aware of the transcript thanks. None of that disproves he wasn't being hounded mercilessly for weeks before that conversation. The Standard had a vendetta against him and were rarely anything other than anti-Livingstone. Vile rag.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm well aware of the transcript thanks. None of that disproves he wasn't being hounded mercilessly for weeks before that conversation. The Standard had a vendetta against him and were rarely anything other than anti-Livingstone. Vile rag.

perhaps they had a vendetta aginst him because he was such a cnt. just a thought.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
1318_big.jpg

Camicus

If Boris were to become leader of the Tories theres a good chance they would get reelected qand can the country survive that?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
i wish i was as thick as most elected members of parliament. most would wipe the floor with us, there may be a lot of wallies but very few genuinely stupid people. that tends to be the electorate and people like us commentating.

If that is an endorsement that we get the politicians we deserve, I will agree with you......................... but you can only choose from what is before you and a more untrustworthy, venal, self-seeking, uninspiring bunch it would be hard to imagine across all parties.

Clearly in a parliamentary system we don't vote for a Prime Minister but should we be asked to it is hard to see anyone of any political leaning that would carry more than factional support. Times of crisis historically generate statesmen who, if not universally popular, give a focus of leadership and common direction - elements not only lacking in the current hierarchy but hard to find that character anywhere in the wider political catalogue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
currently, if thats your interpretation of the role. and i think thats a provincial one. its really not a 'figurehead' role at all. funny how everyone on the left wanted a return to centralised london government and now a torys in charge he is a figurehead hahaha.

he has been a very successful politician though, and in that success has been some weathering of some pretty bad storms, the mark of a successful politician.

Apart from his crazy idea to build an airport in the Thames what ideas are actually his? The impression I have is that he heads up a team of advisors which tell him everything he needs to know and tell him at the right time so he does not forget. A friend of mine spoke to him a while back and asked him about a few of his policies and he did not seem to have a clue and kept saying 'got to stick up for Londoners' as a response. He seemed lost without his team. As I say, a figure head.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
thing is mate they arent. there are i am sure many good, smart people in government on all sides. there are some shysters, cnts and self serving arseholes like any job where you get to be in charge of people it attracts pricks. but there are a lot of people who want to help our country and society. in britain no one understands that, its a me society and if someone isnt looking after YOU personally they arent worth a wank. its our society that has problems not necessarily our politicians.

I thought part of the role of a politician, and in particular a government full of politicians, was to shape and define society through their policies?!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Apart from his crazy idea to build an airport in the Thames what ideas are actually his? The impression I have is that he heads up a team of advisors which tell him everything he needs to know and tell him at the right time so he does not forget. A friend of mine spoke to him a while back and asked him about a few of his policies and he did not seem to have a clue and kept saying 'got to stick up for Londoners' as a response. He seemed lost without his team. As I say, a figure head.

like the bonkers ideas to build airports in the desert and nick massive amounts of business from european airlines, or the bonkers idea of hong kong to build an airport in the sea, or other bonkers ideas to improve transport infrastructure and generate wealth. i fail to see what is bonkers about keeping one of the worlds leading cities competitive and fit for business.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The success of the London Olympics and the mediocre leadership from Cameron / Osbourne makes Johnson's stock rise without him actually having to do anything.

Yet were he to be PM I think it would go tits up fairly quickly - there is so much scope for disaster.

Sadly, the alternatives are few and far between. Osbourne, Gove, Pickles all unelectable, Hague and IDS were unelectable, Theresa May no, Ken Clarke too old, the rest unknown.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The success of the London Olympics and the mediocre leadership from Cameron / Osbourne makes Johnson's stock rise without him actually having to do anything.

Yet were he to be PM I think it would go tits up fairly quickly - there is so much scope for disaster.

Sadly, the alternatives are few and far between. Osbourne, Gove, Pickles all unelectable, Hague and IDS were unelectable, Theresa May no, Ken Clarke too old, the rest unknown.
would you say that the people you mentioned are any more "unelectable" than the present labour shadow cabinet ? I personally would love to see David Davis as Tory leader/PM.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
like the bonkers ideas to build airports in the desert and nick massive amounts of business from european airlines, or the bonkers idea of hong kong to build an airport in the sea, or other bonkers ideas to improve transport infrastructure and generate wealth. i fail to see what is bonkers about keeping one of the worlds leading cities competitive and fit for business.

It's a bonkers idea when you already have an airport struggling with only two runways and plenty of space to build another runway(s). The upgrade of Heathrow is a cheap and quick and sensible solution. Building a completely new airport when we do not really need one is not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here