Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom speaks...

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I was never an Oscar fan but feeling a bit sorry for him now, seems to be getting blamed for everything and although I'm sure he wasn't perfect I imagine both sides made mistakes.

Funny as well how half of NSC have heard rumours over the last few months of what a bad job he was doing (turning up late for training, not talking to players etc) but have never mentioned it before.

Feb 14, 2010
He did sound pissed off. Dont blame him. He's a fan, and has done everything he can to repair the club from the wreck that was left from the Archer years. Just once it would be nice to have a bit of luck, and maybe a team that punched above its weight like Burnley, Palace or Wigan. But no, not at Brighton, everything with this club is hard work and like the Archer years, hard fought for. Thank our lucky stars for Bloom tho. He will deliver a team that will match its status as being the 10th best supported club in the country.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I may have expressed myself poorly (and it wouldn't be the first time) but I wasn't trying to make a point about any specific information here - more that there seems to be a tendency by many on here to indulge in extreme wishful thinking based on no evidence whatsoever.

A year ago, an astonishing number of people jumped aboard the Oscar bandwagon and made judgements about the sort of players he was going to sign and the type of football he was going to get us playing before he'd even picked his first Albion team - and now with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight it seems they always knew he was a wrong 'un.

I also don't think it's true to say that the media had a problem with him or found him uncommunicative. I was told by an Israeli journalist I know that Oscar always spoke in cliches and never said anything interesting, but he turned out to be much better than I'd expected - and certainly more interesting than that self-satisfied rear end Pochettino.

I would like to point out for the benefit of the jury that the day he was appointed I said it was a gamble that wouldn't work and the name I threw into the hat as the man for the job was Tony Pulis, I bet others wish they had hindsight or even front sight like me

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I was in the Oscar camp, i thought that after the initial first season he would kick on.
However a first team player (still at the club) said that Oscar had no discipline and the players could do virtually what they wanted.
Training of free kicks and set pieces were non existent as well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was in the Oscar camp, i thought that after the initial first season he would kick on.
However a first team player (still at the club) said that Oscar had no discipline and the players could do virtually what they wanted.

Which would explain a lot.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Don't think I believe that. Players say a lot of things. When managers lack discipline, it usually filters through to the team. That's when you see a rash of reckless decisions (Sunderland under PDC) resulting in a terrible disciplinary record on the pitch.
We had three reds last season. One for two nothing yellows, one rescinded and one error by Leo.

Plus we came sixth. Team spirit was good and there were no dissenting voices throughout the season...aside from Kaz and he's a plank.
Doesn't fit for me.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

It's the modern way. Self directed learning.

I was never an Oscar fan but feeling a bit sorry for him now, seems to be getting blamed for everything and although I'm sure he wasn't perfect I imagine both sides made mistakes.

Funny as well how half of NSC have heard rumours over the last few months of what a bad job he was doing (turning up late for training, not talking to players etc) but have never mentioned it before.

It's NSC's version of a rather grim fact of life, many people genuflect to power and wealth, up to Pride Park Oscar was protected by that patronage, now he isn't so it's open season.

I think Bloom has made a mistake making personal character criticisms of Oscar. It's simply not necessary - there was no army of fans marching on the Amex demanding Oscar's reinstatement.

Better the board concentrate on getting a high calibre manager in and funding a few good signings, with that achieved everyone will be happy and Oscar's year of slightly underwhelming defensive football will be very quickly forgotten.

Feb 14, 2010
It was interesting the comment he made about clubs on parachute payments. We are a level below them on wages. Burnley made it tho and well done to them

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Listening to him (which I have never really done so closely before) it seems to me he has not got the charisma of a tough talking , business minded large company type CEO , he has done well obviously but may have relatives/business minded people behind him on his other ventures , but perhaps BHA he wanted to control himself , which he has a right to do so . Don't get me wrong I wouldn't have anybody else to be in charge of the Albion because he will always have the final say . Perhaps that is where the structure of the club is not as good as it should be and because he is not that strong in handling issues in my opinion and because he is rarely at the club he can't make instant decisions and is very rarely involved in the day to day running of the club as he is out of the country most of the time , albeit he will always have the final say then perhaps people within the club are trying to involve themselves in matters that don't concern them .

A full structure of the business from CEO down must be put in place and adhered to and no two senior people to be equal in stature.

Just my opinion after listening to TB.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
OG may not have been the easiest to work with, from TB's pov, or to warm to from the fans' but he still dragged us into the playoffs off the back of an immense defence. Good luck to him, I say.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I haven't had chance to listen yet as still at work, but if he feels let down by Oscar, was he asked why he recruited him in the first place? He must have impressed greatly at interview? At some point you can't just keep criticising the staff you have appointed, you have to ask yourself if you got it wrong in the first place.

And I am saying that as someone firmly in the Bloom camp.

Don't think there are many employers out there who could honestly say they've never appointed someone who was excellent at the interview stage but then failed to live up to expectations.

The one thing that does strike me that is maybe slightly worrying is that both Gus and Oscar fell out with the club's management - despite the fact they are both obviously very different characters (both difficult personalities by the sounds of it - but then aren't most managers...?). Who's to say the next appointment won't go the same way?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Did you know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
I told everyone Oscar wasn't the man for the job but nobody listened, I just wonder whose bright idea it was to give him the job without finding these sort of things out ?

Oh kin'ell Ernest, we could all wander around wearing "I told you so" T-shirts. Perhaps our leader should run the next managerial appointment through you before deciding, come to think of it, why not have you scout the possible signings as well!!! You Narna

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
Good interview I thought. I do have some sympathy with Bloom, Oscar must have been a bit of a nightmare to truly communicate with at times. Perhaps Oscar was somewhat inexperienced when it came to getting players in over here & thought it would be a great deal more straight forward. I got the distinct impression that the Paella days are over & as he says he's learnt a lot from his last three managerial appointments. He's going to have to think long & hard about his next appointment as it could be his most crucial yet. I'm sure they'll be no shortage of candidates, outside the Prem it has to be one of or if not the most appealing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure they'll be no shortage of candidates, outside the Prem it has to be one of or if not the most appealing.

Pretty much every manager not employed in the Premier League will have seriously considered applying.

Cardiff has Tan. Fulham's owner is trigger happy. Reading is going into financial meltdown. QPR could well be embagoed from December.

Norwich, Wigan ( not available ) and albion are surely the most attractive posts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can stomach any manager at this club,even Glen Hoddle :lolol: and i am in full agreement with you,but what i really don't like is a manager having 1 hand tied behind his back,he must have control over signings targets etc

Dare i say it it's almost as if somebody somewhere is saying to the manager/coach how we must play......1 forward,too.
I don't mind our manager being part of a team that brings in players, rather than the only one with a say. What we're told is that the manager can provide a list of players, Burke and his team will also provide some options, but the manager will have the final say on whether we try to sign them. The problem with the manager being the only one with any say, is that managers come and go too often, so we'd have no continuity, and our players would require regular replacement.

Pretty much every manager not employed in the Premier League will have seriously considered applying.

Cardiff has Tan. Fulham's owner is trigger happy. Reading is going into financial meltdown. QPR could well be embagoed from December.

Norwich, Wigan ( not available ) and albion are surely the most attractive posts.
If FFP actually meant anything, you'd probably be right. But even if a club is embargoed from December, they've got the summer to prepare, meaning next season they'll have an amazing squad ready to go for the next two years.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Not that I'm suggesting it would work and/or be a good idea... but someone else has recently retired.
Vicente Rodriguez Guillén

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here