bloom interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
So how do us fans feel about the possibility with financial fair play that we pay Gus off (£2m or whatever it is) and to keep ourselves within budget we miss out on a potential signing. Would we take that if it came to it, just to put this whole thing behind us? I would!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I wonder if we might be seeing the start of a trend here? With the coming of FFP are clubs going to continue to just pay managers megabucks when they sack them? Might not more go down the disciplinary procedure route even if it means a few weeks pain; rather than paying managers off with several million quid just to avoid wrongful dismissal cases?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So how do us fans feel about the possibility with financial fair play that we pay Gus off (£2m or whatever it is) and to keep ourselves within budget we miss out on a potential signing. Would we take that if it came to it, just to put this whole thing behind us? I would!

Wouldn't any payout to Gus come out of this last seasons finance not next which comes under the FFP

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am a big fan of Tony Bloom and it is obvious that the fans love him but that was not a comfortable interview even though it was staged by the club. The legal restraints prevented it from being a candid interview obviously but for a poker player he didn't hide his feeling well.

poker is also about giving away what you want people to see.

Aug 23, 2011
I wonder if we might be seeing the start of a trend here? With the coming of FFP are clubs going to continue to just pay managers megabucks when they sack them? Might not more go down the disciplinary procedure route even if it means a few weeks pain; rather than paying managers off with several million quid just to avoid wrongful dismissal cases?

I'm not sure, you can't really sack someone for being a bit cack can you? Unless they write it into their contracts which only desperate managers would accept and they're desperate because they're not very good

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Depends on timing, I think. We got "lucky" that it happened in the close season, when 4-6 weeks of having a suspended manager isn't a total disaster. I can't see a club, any club, suspending a manager for 6 weeks at Christmas.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I do feel happier having watched that interview. We are so lucky to have TB as our chairman.

I had exactly the same conversation earlier with a colleague. Championship clubs will I think start going down this route because they simply will not be able to afford clauses in the contracts. Premier League clubs having voted for "FFP Light" will carry on regardless.

Aug 23, 2011
I had exactly the same conversation earlier with a colleague. Championship clubs will I think start going down this route because they simply will not be able to afford clauses in the contracts. Premier League clubs having voted for "FFP Light" will carry on regardless.

I'd have thought the more likely scenario is either shorter contracts 1-2 years or clubs will end up sticking with managers longer which in my opinion is a good thing rather than being trigger happy

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
bloom was very clear however about gus being aware of his impending dismissal before going on air. totally different meaning to the club statement. also liked the top 6 bit, feel better now

Aug 23, 2011
Depends on timing, I think. We got "lucky" that it happened in the close season, when 4-6 weeks of having a suspended manager isn't a total disaster. I can't see a club, any club, suspending a manager for 6 weeks at Christmas.

Yes but you wouldn't suspend a manager mid season and you can't suspend them because they lost 6 games on the bounce

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He will no doubt be so relieved that you think so.

I've been saying that he should for a while. His absence (up until now) was a big mistake IMHO. Look at how much positivity he has generated with just this video.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I would too. We need to severe all ties ASAP and if that means a payoff that affects the money for players so be it. NOTHING good can come of this dragging on a moment longer than absolutely necessary.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He looks like a man in control to me.I think if I was Gus I would just call it quits and move on, if his ego will allow it. He is playing with people way out of his league in business matters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports