Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bloom interview

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
So really this is just about not paying Poyet his compensation. That's all this has ever been about. Bloom wants him out, Gus probably walked blindly into a breach of contract and bloom thought 'gotcha!'. Bloom says its unlawful to sack a manager, it's not, you just have to pay up their contract. I wonder if more clubs will follow this way if sacking a manager to avoid compensation.

You think every club that has sacked it's manager in the past has paid full compensation?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only bit I was surprised at was the comparison with other sackings - TB seemed to suggest this is the only way to properly sack someone.

We are all aware that in most cases managers are simply sacked because of poor results. Their contracts are generally paid up and therefore there is nothing improper about this process.

Gus is completely different as this has nothing to do with team performance, but a breach of contract. The interview was very unclear on this point I thought.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I feel reassured having seen the interview
Thank god we have Tony....he's some chairman
Loved it when he said we haven't 'hit the ceiling'
My take was that Thursday would be the d-day for new Manager (interim....cough cough)

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I am a big fan of Tony Bloom and it is obvious that the fans love him but that was not a comfortable interview even though it was staged by the club. The legal restraints prevented it from being a candid interview obviously but for a poker player he didn't hide his feeling well. He continuously referred to him as Gus which inferred that he still had a lot of affection for him. He talked about being confident for the coming season but I didn't really feel it. The club has taken a major blow and have not dealt with it cleanly and thats why clubs sack managers and pay them off so that a fresh start can be made immediately. I really hope the club are not planning to sue Gus for breach of contract or this could go on for months. I think most fans are feeling down and maybe actions over the next few days will become clearer and things will fall into place. One thing I do know is that I can't wait for the season to start when we can start arguing whether Ashley Barnes is Non-League or Premier league!

Dandyman

In London village.
The only bit I was surprised at was the comparison with other sackings - TB seemed to suggest this is the only way to properly sack someone.

We are all aware that in most cases managers are simply sacked because of poor results. Their contracts are generally paid up and therefore there is nothing improper about this process.

Gus is completely different as this has nothing to do with team performance, but a breach of contract. The interview was very unclear on this point I thought.

Except that most managers go on competency not disciplinary grounds and I suspect they have a clause saying the contract can be paid up.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What did anyone expect him to say? It was the fact that he has broken his silence that was important. Interesting that he felt emails from Barber aren't enough.

Aug 23, 2011

It does raise the question that are other managers actually sacked or are we using the wrong word? You can't really sack a manager for poor results can you? They won't have it in their contract finish 8th or higher or you're gone would they?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Tony said Gus was aware of his impending dismissal and not pending - very different meaning!

Surely someone has set up a whole new thread on the difference between pending and impending by now?

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Great, calm, honest, professional and non-clinical interview. This alone would have been enough to put any fears I had to bed, but coupled with the statement I am 100% confident that we have shown the football world that due process is the way forward.
I am not saying that there have been no mistakes, I'm sure there have somewhere but being that it's not the normal way sacking a manager has been handled in the past, there were no real like for like comparisons that could have been used.

Thank-you Tony Bloom for making this club what it is today.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What did anyone expect him to say? It was the fact that he has broken his silence that was important. Interesting that he felt emails from Barber aren't enough.

Interesting and 100% correct that Tony stepped-in.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
But can he with ffp? If we're right on the borderline anyway as some suggest and the budget will be the same as last year then that doesn't leave much wriggle room

I think you are correct and the good thing about TB's action's are, if Gus fails with any appeals, each season ticket holder won't be paying Gus around £110 to go, therefore this money could go on bringing in players instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here