bloom interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I was impressed by the interview. Tony Bloom came across really well and was an honest as he could be. Hope we can move on and have an interim manager in place by Thursday as mentioned on the interview.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Save the man love for Tony Bloom boys....... I reckon he needs to feel the luuuuuurve at the moment.

Ages ago when this saga first kicked off I posted that TB must have been gobsmacked to hear all that whinging from Gus about his lack of budget. The bloke is £150m out of pocket on The Amex and new training complex, so has hardly stinted on the financial side. Not to mention funding a series of record signings for Gus (including one or two duffers) and big offers for others like VvD. Presumably matched that with a decent wage structure too. Gus signed up for the 5 year plan and knew the budget constraints.

OK Gus did great things for our footie and turned us from bottom dwellers into Prem contenders but it's about time that the Gus apologists reflect on his attitude. The bloke couldn't keep his gob shut (including on TV last night) and will now have to earn the trust of decent Chairmen, many of whom will be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and certainly will struggle to finance him to the same extent.

I hope that Tony Bloom isn't put off appointing someone with equal flair but also a tad more media savvy.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
watching the defensive way bloom batted away the questions on charlie, instant gut feeling was charlie is suspected poodunit fiend.

baseless assumption of course

I have it on reasonably good authority that he isn't. Plus Barber said they don't know who that was.
I don't know for a fact what he did so can't post it, but (if it is what I believe it to be) I'm sure we'll find out in due course.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Save the man love for Tony Bloom boys....... I reckon he needs to feel the luuuuuurve at the moment.

Ages ago when this saga first kicked off I posted that TB must have been gobsmacked to hear all that whinging from Gus about his lack of budget. The bloke is £150m out of pocket on The Amex and new training complex, so has hardly stinted on the financial side. Not to mention funding a series of record signings for Gus (including one or two duffers) and big offers for others like VvD. Presumably matched that with a decent wage structure too. Gus signed up for the 5 year plan and knew the budget constraints.

OK Gus did great things for our footie and turned us from bottom dwellers into Prem contenders but it's about time that the Gus apologists reflect on his attitude. The bloke couldn't keep his gob shut (including on TV last night) and will now have to earn the trust of decent Chairmen, many of whom will be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and certainly will struggle to finance him to the same extent.

I hope that Tony Bloom isn't put off appointing someone with equal flair but also a tad more media savvy.

Spot on and summises what Steve Claridge said on 5 live too. Gus, you've only got yourself to blame.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Those threads still live reacting yesterday are a joke , certain posters should be ashamed and embarrassed by their knicker wetting

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Having watched the interview, I am sure Gus's post match Palace comments played more of a part in this whole sorry affair than I originally thought.

TB's ambition is undiminished.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This, with bells on. Well said.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I have it on reasonably good authority that he isn't. Plus Barber said they don't know who that was.
I don't know for a fact what he did so can't post it, but (if it is what I believe it to be) I'm sure we'll find out in due course.

Agree, definitely not connected with poo gate and also don't know exactly what he did but very serious and definitely no way back....... apparently!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Excellent post. The club is breaking new ground with this approach. It's clearly linked with FFP and other clubs will be watching very closely and maybe the cosy days when crap managers walked away from jobs with a big smile and a pocket full of cash are over. It's also clear that lots of NSCers have had trouble making this adjustment, particularly regarding the need for confidentiality, but Tony Bloom and Barber will be proved right in the long run so long as their reasons for dismissing Poyet were fair.

D

Deleted member 2719

Great, calm, honest, professional and non-clinical interview. This alone would have been enough to put any fears I had to bed, but coupled with the statement I am 100% confident that we have shown the football world that due process is the way forward.
I am not saying that there have been no mistakes, I'm sure there have somewhere but being that it's not the normal way sacking a manager has been handled in the past, there were no real like for like comparisons that could have been used.

Thank-you Tony Bloom for making this club what it is today.

Good post.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unlike some posters I believe that the way Brighton have handled this enhances their profile as a club that will not be afraid of making difficult decisions but at the same time expects those contracted to the club to fully respect their employment. Contracts work both ways, too often it is shown to be a worthless document. Touting oneself as obviously as Poyet did, brought him in to disrepute every time he spoke, it's disrespectful at best. I believe Bloom decided to take the moral high ground and Poyet in his actions allowed him to do so.

To me the only unanswered (not asked) question (for obvious reasons) was "Was Tanno at work today?"

Totally agree with this. I reckon that the Albion is actually being a trendsetter here and clubs (and managers) will no longer have a cavalier attitude to contracts. The only other chairman I can recall having a similar attitude was Tangoman and he spoiled the effect by acting like a complete cock most of the time - that was a pity because he spoke sense too.
This time last night, some of the reaction on here was embarrassing - I think the club has played this pretty well. Think the press release could have been timed better but they've played it by the book and it will stand us in good stead in the future.

Apart from the Tanno question, I'd like to ask "was there really a 500-page dossier?"

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
So really this is just about not paying Poyet his compensation. That's all this has ever been about. Bloom wants him out, Gus probably walked blindly into a breach of contract and bloom thought 'gotcha!'. Bloom says its unlawful to sack a manager, it's not, you just have to pay up their contract. I wonder if more clubs will follow this way if sacking a manager to avoid compensation.

Yes i think ts will be more and more common in conjunction with much shorter contracts for managers all down to ffp.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Interesting and 100% correct that Tony stepped-in.

He hasn't..'stepped in'. It was a choreographed two prong attack from the club. Open letter from Barber...and then the big one....The chairmans video . All is right in the world, and we can sleep easily tonight .
They are,of course, papering over the cracks. What happens if Gus wins his appeal ?..... It could happen , who knows..and then what. Our chairman was very careful with his words.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Perhaps you can remind me, but I don't recall Gus ever whinging about his budget until the interview after the Palace game.He did regularly point out that we were overachieving and doing well to compete with clubs with larger budgets, but that was true, and I always attributed it as him trying to counter the fans who kept going on that he 'had a top-2 squad' and was failing. Evidently TB thought the same too, guess time will tell.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's very odd on here tonight considering the meltdown last evening. Those that blindly believed the utterances of Poyet appear to be rather quiet. Is that due to the statements from the club? or the full backing of those statements from the main man, I wonder. It is obvious that right from the start Bloom has been on top of the situation. His highly paid CEO has been the one who has been taking the flack and rightly so in his position, but it now plain to all that this was directed from the very top. Bloom gave concise "planned" answers, ones that were unambiguous unlike the Poyet's interview. Poyet has met more than his match. The contempt shown to the reporting of the situation by the BBC and others does show to those that matter that the club is in very good hands.

Unlike some posters I believe that the way Brighton have handled this enhances their profile as a club that will not be afraid of making difficult decisions but at the same time expects those contracted to the club to fully respect their employment. Contracts work both ways, too often it is shown to be a worthless document. Touting oneself as obviously as Poyet did, brought him in to disrepute every time he spoke, it's disrespectful at best. I believe Bloom decided to take the moral high ground and Poyet in his actions allowed him to do so.

To me the only unanswered (not asked) question (for obvious reasons) was "Was Tanno at work today?"

Getting tiring arguing with a lynch-mob :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports