Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom in pledge to fans - 6 Aug 14

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Over the course of 46 games just about EVERY team concedes last minutes goals which cost points, just as we scored our fair share of goals late on to earn them. Frustrating as it is, you can hardly use a couple of last minute goals against as a reason we didn't go up.

Das fubull.

Agreed thats football, but that squad should have got automatic promotion. I think TB gambled that year and we have now run out of cash. That dark night in May gets darker with every passing week.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Seeing as we had the 6th highest budget and finished 4th, you may have said it a million times but you've been wrong a million times. EVERY season Gus overachieved by league position compared to budget (the accounts back this up).

The reason that team was so good was a large part due to Gus and the coaching team bringing some of those players along so well, and playing them in a style that suited them so perfectly. We're a Championship club thanks to Gus FFS, he left us in a FAR better position than he joined us, outdoing his budget every single season along the way. Get some perspective.

I dont disagree with you. I am not a Poyet hater far from it. My point was he was backed by Bloom and he should have got that team promoted. That was the year we spunked a lot of cash on players...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agreed thats football, but that squad should have got automatic promotion. I think TB gambled that year and we have now run out of cash. That dark night in May gets darker with every passing week.

It was obviously a very decent squad (especially when you cast your eyes over the wreckage of a squad we have now). But it was hardly one that was nailed on for automatic. After 46 games you finish exactly where you deserve to finish, and we came up 12 points short of Cardiff and 4 points short of Hull. Saying we "should" have finished above Cardiff or Hull that season is futile. And even if we'd beaten Palace that dark night in May, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'd have turned Watford over in the Final anyway - we didn't manage it during the season, they took 4 points off us.

I'm not going to forever beat myself up about what happened 2 years ago. When it came down to it, just like 21 other teams, we weren't good enough that season. End of.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It was obviously a very decent squad (especially when you cast your eyes over the wreckage of a squad we have now). But it was hardly one that was nailed on for automatic. After 46 games you finish exactly where you deserve to finish, and we came up 12 points short of Cardiff and 4 points short of Hull. Saying we "should" have finished above Cardiff or Hull that season is futile. And even if we'd beaten Palace that dark night in May, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'd have turned Watford over in the Final anyway - we didn't manage it during the season, they took 4 points off us.

I'm not going to forever beat myself up about what happened 2 years ago. When it came down to it, just like 21 other teams, we weren't good enough that season. End of.

Can't argue with that. I guess my gloating palace mate doesn't make it any easier

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's wrong as well.

Murray went because Poyet let him go. He was seen as too much hard work and apparently is one of those "high maintenance" players, and Poyet didn't want to work with him.

Nothing to do with money, nothing to do will better offers. Murray went because Poyet didn't want him to stay.

Incredibly hypocritical by Poyet. A high maintenance manager if ever there was one, constantly feeding politcking shite to the media, about player budgets, transfers, if only he had this player, his own future, blah, blah (and not just with us, as then at Sundeland too).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't argue with that. I guess my gloating palace mate doesn't make it any easier

I feel your pain. I have a gloating Palace work colleague.

The Monday morning emails have been SUCH a joy this season. I feel like I'm turning up to a gunfight armed with a stale cheese baguette.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was the year we spunked a lot of cash on players...

As I mentioned, 5 teams spent more than us, so I don't see why we had a divine right to go up. 2nd half of the season we were the best side in the league, admittedly.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And before everybody gets too comfy, it's not over yet - Millwall still have a lot of work to do, but tonight was our last real chance for 3 points this season. And yes, I do include Saturday, because for however shit Wigan are at home, read us away from home.

Wigan Home: P21 W2 D8 L11 F 16 A27

Albion Away: P21 W4 D8 L9 F17 A23

Got 0-0 written all over it. Only because we can't both lose

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
That's wrong as well.

Murray went because Poyet let him go. He was seen as too much hard work and apparently is one of those "high maintenance" players, and Poyet didn't want to work with him.

Nothing to do with money, nothing to do will better offers. Murray went because Poyet didn't want him to stay.

Not what I heard. I heard that Palace offered him more than double what we were prepared to offer him. Poyet wanted him to stay.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not what I heard. I heard that Palace offered him more than double what we were prepared to offer him. Poyet wanted him to stay.

This. Poyet came out and pretty much said his hands were tied with that ridiculously stupid "separate pots for transfers and wages" thingy.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

This is true.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This is true.

Yep, Gus offered the most he could. But he simply could not keep him.

He was frustrated that he got away in the end. He actually advised him to take the Palace offer.

One thing which is funny in hindsight. GP scoffed at Palace struggling to manage a personality like Glenn's (he wasn't scoring at the time). Saying that Glenn was the sort of player you couldn't just shout at, it wouldn't work. You needed to know how to really manage him. And that coaching team knew how to get the best out of Glenn. Looks like the Palace staff have figured that problem out now....

Last edited:

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Yep, Gus offered the most he could. But he simply could not keep him.

He was frustrated that he got away in the end. He actually advised him to take the Palace offer.

One thing which is funny in hindsight. GP scoffed at Palace struggling to manage a personality like Glenn's (he wasn't scoring at the time). Saying that Glenn was the sort of player you couldn't just shout at, it wouldn't work. You needed to know how to really manage him. And that coaching team knew how to get the best out of Glenn. Looks like the Palace staff have figured that problem out now....

This isn't the case. Poyet "re-scheduled" 2 meetings with GM to discuss his contract towards the end of that season. GM asked for an increase in salary (as you'd expect any promoted player to do so) and rather than give him a definitive answer, they strung him along for the best part of three weeks. Palace came in with a good offer (certainly not double what he was asking for) and he still waited for Brighton to get back to him. When they did there was obviously a difference in opinion and GM left the club.

Don't forget the club went on to purchase CMS later in that summer who is/was on substantially more than GM...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This isn't the case. Poyet "re-scheduled" 2 meetings with GM to discuss his contract towards the end of that season. GM asked for an increase in salary (as you'd expect any promoted player to do so) and rather than give him a definitive answer, they strung him along for the best part of three weeks. Palace came in with a good offer (certainly not double what he was asking for) and he still waited for Brighton to get back to him. When they did there was obviously a difference in opinion and GM left the club.

Don't forget the club went on to purchase CMS later in that summer who is/was on substantially more than GM...

The side of the story I heard was Gus' directly from him. He didn't mention timescales, so what you've said is perfectly believable. But unless Gus flat out lied, which I don't think he had any reason to, the amount Palace offered was significantly above what we could (or maybe more importantly, what we were prepared to) offer.

He explained it like this (not word for word, but the best I can remember) "they offered him almost triple what we could offer him. What can you say? I said to him "If you can get that you should take it." Stay in the same house, not move your family. More than double your wage. *Gus-style shrug of the shoulders* Why wouldn't you?"

SDG

May 26, 2014

Was you offering him £4k a week then?

Because our top-paid player at the time was on £12k per week. And Murray didn't come close to that.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
This. Poyet came out and pretty much said his hands were tied with that ridiculously stupid "separate pots for transfers and wages" thingy.

Very much depends on which side you speak to... I've heard that the 'separate pots' thing was complete rubbish that Poyet totally made up and the Board were absolutely furious at the time he talked about it. The Board very much wanted Murray to stay, tried to persuade Poyet to keep him but Poyet had his heart set on CMS and was more than happy for Murray to leave in order to spend a lot of money on CMS and give him significantly more wages than Murray was on (and that Murray wanted).

As I say, 2 totally different stories and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very much depends on which side you speak to... I've heard that the 'separate pots' thing was complete rubbish that Poyet totally made up and the Board were absolutely furious at the time he talked about it. The Board very much wanted Murray to stay, tried to persuade Poyet to keep him but Poyet had his heart set on CMS and was more than happy for Murray to leave in order to spend a lot of money on CMS and give him significantly more wages than Murray was on (and that Murray wanted).

As I say, 2 totally different stories and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...

Really strange isn't it? I've heard the exact opposite, also Murray is completely a Poyet style player and CMS couldn't be less of a Poyet style player, have also heard it was very much Bloom who wanted CMS and championed our pursuit of him.

Who knows what the truth is...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Very much depends on which side you speak to... I've heard that the 'separate pots' thing was complete rubbish that Poyet totally made up and the ious at the time he talked about it. The Board very much wanted Murray to stay, tried to persuade Poyet to keep him but PBoard were absolutely furoyet had his heart set on CMS and was more than happy for Murray to leave in order to spend a lot of money on CMS and give him significantly more wages than Murray was on (and that Murray wanted).

this is the same board who offered Barnes less and let him go for peanuts
and what ever you say or think about him he scored goals
something we lack now

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Really strange isn't it? I've heard the exact opposite, also Murray is completely a Poyet style player and CMS couldn't be less of a Poyet style player, have also heard it was very much Bloom who wanted CMS and championed our pursuit of him.

Who knows what the truth is...

Yep - who knows - but I think Poyet was certainly very keen to bring in CMS who he promised he was going to 'build the team around'. Bloom has come out and said this recently (how Poyet let him down by telling him one thing and then not playing to his strengths). The Peterborough Chairman has also said that Poyet pretty much 'hypnotized' CMS into signing for us and if Barcelona had come in for him, he would have still signed for us (or something along those lines)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here