Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom in pledge to fans - 6 Aug 14

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I'm afraid this might be the case. Spent all the money on an over-spec'd stadium and didn't leave enough for fielding a talented team.

Oh, and the small matter of £600k on a Chief Exec PER YEAR

£600,000.oo for chief exec ?

Surely there must be a more cost-effective alternative out there ?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Barber's arrival has put an end to any quality signings. No more will we see the likes of Ulloa, Vicente or Bridge grace the Amex turf, instead it will be the dross no one else wants.

Do you think its because Barber dosnt want anyone at the club getting any more than he does ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a ridiculous suggestion? Tony is the dream owner for us we just have to be patient. Would rather wait 10 years for top flight with Tony than get an unknown foreign oil man. This club has taken gambles before NEVER again thank you

If we never gamble again we will never make the Premiership. No question. It is impossible without "going for it".

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
To be very fair to Bloom, he did not sack Hyypia. He had just left for Oz having endorsed Hyypia before leaving when Hyypia resigned.
Okay. Technically Hyypia resigned and that's what the records show. But lets just say he was given an almighty push!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Do you think Bournemouth are spending more on wages/fees than the Albion this season ?

If not then that is terrifying in terms of the abilities of the Chairman, CFO, and manager at our club.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The bullshit about COG not being Ulloa's replacement is what really winds me up. I don't mind us being a bit shit, I'm used to it. It's the ongoing bullshit and spin that really gets me. COG patently WAS Ulloa's replacement wasn't he?

Not bothering/refusing to pay the going rate with the forward line is what has dumped us where we are. It really is that simple imo. Buying Baldock ( who I like) was just replacing CMS, but we are still left with CMS :rolleyes:

Quite. The main issue of this season/last summer is how we've utterly ****ed up our strikeforce.

As mentioned in the Stockdale interview, we've conceded TWO more goals than Watford (who are FOURTH). The rest of the team are doing their jobs. It's comfortably the worst "strikeforce" we've had in my time following the Albion.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If we never gamble again we will never make the Premiership. No question. It is impossible without "going for it".

I don't agree with this at all, see Burnley and Crystal Palace. You just need a half decent group of players playing for each other in an effective system.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barber's arrival has put an end to any quality signings. No more will we see the likes of Ulloa, Vicente or Bridge grace the Amex turf, instead it will be the dross no one else wants.

Under Bloom's instructions, indeed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have said it a million times on here, TB backed GP that year, with that squad we should have won the league not even been in the play offs. (19 draws) two conceeding last minute equalisers would have seen us automatically promoted. Poyet ****ed it up not bloom on that occassion.

Seeing as we had the 6th highest budget and finished 4th, you may have said it a million times but you've been wrong a million times. EVERY season Gus overachieved by league position compared to budget (the accounts back this up).

The reason that team was so good was a large part due to Gus and the coaching team bringing some of those players along so well, and playing them in a style that suited them so perfectly. We're a Championship club thanks to Gus FFS, he left us in a FAR better position than he joined us, outdoing his budget every single season along the way. Get some perspective.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't agree with this at all, see Burnley and Crystal Palace. You just need a half decent group of players playing for each other in an effective system.

Burnley and Palace were both able to get players we weren't willing to pay that extra bit for. See Ward and Murray for two examples. We're nowhere near their level of players now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Okay. Technically Hyypia resigned and that's what the records show. But lets just say he was given an almighty push!

He bloody wasn't. He had two prior attempts to resign REJECTED by Bloom.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Burnley and Palace were both able to get players we weren't willing to pay that extra bit for. See Ward and Murray for two examples. We're nowhere near their level of players now.
That is because they are both in the Premier League now? Neither of those teams made multiple million pound plus signings in the Seasons they eventually got promoted in. Ward signed for Burnley after they were promoted. We let Murray go and spent 2.5m on CMS.

Don't forget we paid 1.5m for Baldock and 1m for Stockdale this Season. From memory Burnley and Crystal Palace didn't have to pay anything like that money in order to get promoted.

I'm just trying to make the point that if you fall into an effective system with decent players it is not necessary to spend mega bucks as Burnley and Crystal Palace have shown.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not great examples. Murray was not offered enough to stay because we thought that spending big on CMS was the way to go. So that worked out well then.

The year Burnley were promoted, they sold their star striker and replaced him with Ings about a third of the price.

Ward is irrelevant; Burnely signed him after they had already been promoted and had a budget of 3x what we could afford.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Is Barber scouting now? We've spent the money we spent on Ulloa, Vicente and Bridge since. We just used it on crap players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have said it a million times on here, TB backed GP that year, with that squad we should have won the league not even been in the play offs. (19 draws) two conceeding last minute equalisers would have seen us automatically promoted. Poyet ****ed it up not bloom on that occassion.

Over the course of 46 games just about EVERY team concedes last minutes goals which cost points, just as we scored our fair share of goals late on to earn them. Frustrating as it is, you can hardly use a couple of last minute goals against as a reason we didn't go up.

Das fubull.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Not great examples. Murray was not offered enough to stay because we thought that spending big on CMS was the way to go.
That's wrong as well.

Murray went because Poyet let him go. He was seen as too much hard work and apparently is one of those "high maintenance" players, and Poyet didn't want to work with him.

Nothing to do with money, nothing to do will better offers. Murray went because Poyet didn't want him to stay.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/11389547.Bloom_in_pledge_to_fans/

Assurance from our Chairman that, before the season started, we 'got our main targets'. Also mention that there would like to be more players in, but 'it's a difficult market', and we need to find the find players at the right price.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth completed their business in the first week of June. As did Chelsea.... Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

What we, as fans, have learnt over our time in the Championship is that to be at the top you need to pay the price. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Grabban, Ward, Clayton.. All 'too expensive'.. All playing at a higher level.

Oh yeah, that's right, we're sticking to FFP. Just as Bournemouth have done. And when they're counting their cash in the Prem, Tony Bloom may well reflect on the worst gamble of his career.

I hope I'm wrong.
How times have changed! If you'd posted this last summer or autumn the sound of 'Bedwetter' being bleated to the hills would have been deafening!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Yes, pretty sure this has been documented, hopefully someone ITK will back this up...
Oh I wouldn't doubt its been well documented. It's called spin. From what I hear the club wanted Herpes gone and Burke gone, but didn't want to sack them both, so they made Hyypia's position untenable and he walked. Burke obviously far more out of the firing line, had to be sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here