Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom in pledge to fans - 6 Aug 14

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
To be very fair to Bloom, he did not sack Hyypia. He had just left for Oz having endorsed Hyypia before leaving when Hyypia resigned. His handling of Hyypia's reign still baffles me, I am looking forward to some sort of explanation at the next fans forum.

Hughton has to be given a chance to fix things at the end of the season, but I must admit I am worried by what I have seen so far. What on earth has happened to the confidence we saw after Hyypia left under Jones and at the beginning of Hughton's reign? All very concerning and we are lucky that there are some really crap teams in this division.

I have been lead to believe that Hypia's terms of exit were being negotiated whilst Bloom was still in the UK. And so whilst endorsed by Bloom in public, behind the scenes his departure was being arranged. Barber managed to complete the exit package shortly after Bloom left. The players knew a couple of weeks before he went that this was likely, hence the even further drop in performance levels just prior to Hypia's departure.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If they're not it doesn't say much for the football acumen of the Albion's hierarchy does it?

They almost certainly aren't (look at their squad, our recent accounts/their accounts ) . And yes. It means that the value for money we've had out of our signings in the last 12 months has been poor.
45 points tells you that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They almost certainly aren't (look at their squad, our recent accounts/their accounts ) . And yes. It means that the value for money we've had out of our signings in the last 12 months has been poor.
45 points tells you that.

The bullshit about COG not being Ulloa's replacement is what really winds me up. I don't mind us being a bit shit, I'm used to it. It's the ongoing bullshit and spin that really gets me. COG patently WAS Ulloa's replacement wasn't he?

Not bothering/refusing to pay the going rate with the forward line is what has dumped us where we are. It really is that simple imo. Buying Baldock ( who I like) was just replacing CMS, but we are still left with CMS :rolleyes:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The players knew a couple of weeks before he went that this was likely, hence the even further drop in performance levels just prior to Hypia's departure.

Drop in performance? The last game before Hyypia's exit was a 1-1 draw at play-off contenders Wolves ... and we were just two minutes away from winning. Doesn't sound to me like a drop in performance

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I've got a really strong feeling that COG isn't playing because he has already been sold, and that our marquee striker for next season is going to be none other than Leon Best

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've got a really strong feeling that COG isn't playing because he has already been sold, and that our marquee striker for next season is going to be none other than Leon Best

Unthinkable

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'm so glad I didn't renew my season ticket for this season. Had a feeling we would go down the cheap route after we began selling our best players. I am hoping that TB will see that lots of loan players is not the answer, and that you have to speculate to accumulate. If we don't, I can see us being even worse next year. Gut feeling is that cash will be spent, although not many 7-figure cheques will be written.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I'm sort of at a loss as to how to describe my thoughts on this season.

I have always backed the Board's decision to not overspend, to adhere to FFP and to not join that laundry list of clubs that do overspend and end up tumbling down the leagues. But it seems as though this season we've adhered to FFP whilst also spending what (presumably) little money we do have on absolute toss and are still in danger of falling out of the Championship. As a caveat to that I don't think spending in the summer would have made a damn bit of difference thanks to the colossal cluster**** that was appointing Sami.

Next season my support will switch over to the "spend, spend, spend" model. Clear out the dross. Give Hughton a warchest and bring some bloody life back into us. We look dead.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Drop in performance? The last game before Hyypia's exit was a 1-1 draw at play-off contenders Wolves ... and we were just two minutes away from winning. Doesn't sound to me like a drop in performance

I thought that. The players threw everything into that last 30 mins when we were 1-0 up but down to 10 men.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Barber's arrival has put an end to any quality signings. No more will we see the likes of Ulloa, Vicente or Bridge grace the Amex turf, instead it will be the dross no one else wants.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Oh, and the small matter of £600k on a Chief Exec PER YEAR

Less than two thirds* of what CMS 'earns', which if them is more effective?

*if one believes the figures that are often suggested.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Barber's arrival has put an end to any quality signings. No more will we see the likes of Ulloa, Vicente or Bridge grace the Amex turf, instead it will be the dross no one else wants.

Barber signed Ulloa did he not ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

blimey - that sentence contains lots of ridiculous.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
http://m.theargus.co.uk/sport/11389547.Bloom_in_pledge_to_fans/

Assurance from our Chairman that, before the season started, we 'got our main targets'. Also mention that there would like to be more players in, but 'it's a difficult market', and we need to find the find players at the right price.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth completed their business in the first week of June. As did Chelsea.... Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

What we, as fans, have learnt over our time in the Championship is that to be at the top you need to pay the price. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Grabban, Ward, Clayton.. All 'too expensive'.. All playing at a higher level.

Oh yeah, that's right, we're sticking to FFP. Just as Bournemouth have done. And when they're counting their cash in the Prem, Tony Bloom may well reflect on the worst gamble of his career.

I hope I'm wrong.

It's not quite that simple though, is it? For every team that you can point to that's done well with expensive players there will be another that's done well without splashing the cash. Equally, there are more than a handful who have spent heavily or have expensive players and have not achieved promotion.

It is sometimes the case that a relatively settled team becomes successful with a new boss or can go backwards when one leaves. What's been proven over and over again however is the right manager (e.g. Bournemouth, Brentford, Ipswich, Derby, Middlesbrough) at the right time (think Micky Adams!) is usually the key to success.

Do we have that key to success?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Unthinkable I agree but not impossible

as I said on the match thread, maybe he is playing crap to keep the price down .................just a theory mind

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm sort of at a loss as to how to describe my thoughts on this season.

I have always backed the Board's decision to not overspend, to adhere to FFP and to not join that laundry list of clubs that do overspend and end up tumbling down the leagues. But it seems as though this season we've adhered to FFP whilst also spending what (presumably) little money we do have on absolute toss and are still in danger of falling out of the Championship. As a caveat to that I don't think spending in the summer would have made a damn bit of difference thanks to the colossal cluster**** that was appointing Sami.

Next season my support will switch over to the "spend, spend, spend" model. Clear out the dross. Give Hughton a warchest and bring some bloody life back into us. We look dead.

is there any need to though
Beram Kayal how much is he worth now ?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Not doing more to keep Gus at the club while the momentum was at an all time high was one of the greatest mistakes in the history of the football club.

If only TB gave him the extra few million quid he was asking for (considering it was before FFP came into action) then we would almost certainly be a Premier League club, all the ingredients were right.

Oh well, it's TB's money I suppose.

I have said it a million times on here, TB backed GP that year, with that squad we should have won the league not even been in the play offs. (19 draws) two conceeding last minute equalisers would have seen us automatically promoted. Poyet ****ed it up not bloom on that occassion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here