Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom fans forum

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Said it before. Look at our stadium! Loom at our training facility!.....£20m quid that! Cat 1 that!!

The squad?
Oh......

If £20m was burning a hole why not spend £10m on lancing and £5m on the squad and keep £5m in case 'that special player' comes along.

We didn't need lancing. Unless we want to attract nippers and then sell half decent kids to the prem.

The balance is wrong in my opinion.
Manchester United took 100 years to get where they are, not far from untouchable. Arsenal have taken just as long to aspire to be Manchester United. Liverpool look at Manchester United and dream of doing it again. Manchester City and Tottenham look at Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal and just dream......

And you think that we can join that elite band in what, just 5 years? Dream on sir, we will be promoted and relegated many times before we even become an established top tier club. Until then, we can only dream of being MCFC or THFC, sadly...........

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_clubs

...yeah, not too many teams get promoted and stay there forever.

You might say that it's negative to say that we'll get relegated again at some point after getting promoted, but history suggests it's realistic to think that way and that generally it's a case of staying safe for as long as you can

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Dream on sir, we will be promoted and relegated many times before we even become an established top tier club.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa, and Everton are the teams that have been in the top tier continuously since 2000.

Everyone else -- snakes and ladders. TB knows this as well as the rest of us.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Manchester United took 100 years to get where they are, not far from untouchable. Arsenal have taken just as long to aspire to be Manchester United. Liverpool look at Manchester United and dream of doing it again. Manchester City and Tottenham look at Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal and just dream......

And you think that we can join that elite band in what, just 5 years? Dream on sir, we will be promoted and relegated many times before we even become an established top tier club. Until then, we can only dream of being MCFC or THFC, sadly...........

Oh for crying out loud!

What era do you love in?!?! So we can, in time, compete with the European super powers and one day my grand kids will call me from Barcelona screaming that we have just won the Champions Lge (I'll be bed ridden)........come on mate. It will never happen unless we are bought by a billionaire and even that doesn't guarantee success these days.

Look at the change in ownership of the championship yo yo clubs. When are Reading going to be the next MUFC? QPR...how far aware from being a Liverpool of the future?

Perhaps time to stop listening for DoodleBugs overhead and realise that football has changed and rather than spend wisely and have a go, we, Brighton, have opted to become a feeder club, a supplier for the elite while we neglect the very thing out supporters pay for and adore.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Mate we have only joined the elite once in 100yrs ffs

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
God only knows what we would do if we did go up,wages wise,i cannot see this club wishing to pay the outrageous weekly wages that even the likes of Palace can manage,perhaps Tony is right.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
These threads always make me smile,seeing the rose tinted specs brigade faithfully defending the obvious problems at the club as regards player recruitment and on the other side who question the clubs ambition.
Surely the investment in the stadium and training ground shows the ambition ?
From what I and most others see the only problem is David Burke, he's not doing the job he's paid to do, that showed last season and is doing so again now.
Sack him and replace him with somebody who can actually sign a player or two.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Bloom "If we make Premiership its inevitable we will come back down" same old Albion no ambition!! So negative!
It won't be long before he wants a return on his £100 million!!!

Surprised if he said that , he should know thus stat, that in each of the previous 5 seasons only 1 of the promoted 3 has gone straight back down

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Bloom "If we make Premiership its inevitable we will come back down" same old Albion no ambition!! So negative!
It won't be long before he wants a return on his £100 million!!!

He said :

"IF we do come down, which is inevitable at some time, I guess"

Fair comment, applies to 80% of the Premier League.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
'Train in a field' which is not far from where we were a few years ago. Recently we have been slumming it at the uni amongst other places and we still managed to win Lge 1 and reach the play offs in style months later. So, we were doing ok......yes??? Suddenly TB proposes a new training ground. Great, how much? £20 million quid matey. Why? Why do we need to spend £20 million on a training facility when we had been overachieving with nowhere near that?!?! Surely if you wanted to get rid of cash so quickly then build one half as good (still infinitely better than the current set up), invest half of what you have left in the squad to play in your lovely new ground and bank the rest for rainy days or suddenly available star players.

Lancing just smacks of expanding the property portfolio and looking to generate future income by training, coaching and nurturing young talent to sell them for a large profit, because let's be honest, with the lack of investment in THE FIRST TEAM SQUAD we will be in the Rymans selling kids to the prem.

Just doesn't sit right with me

What do these superstar players look at when signing for a club?

If we and another club are offering the same sort of money, what will they consider next, the choice of training in the state of the art facilities of Lancing or a club training in a pot holed field like at the Uni?

If we are looking to attract young players with a lot of potential, will they want to train in some of the best facilities around or in a field with crap facilities - which do they, and also their parents think will inspire them and help them fulfil their true potential?

The more players you can develop through a youth system, the less you have to spend on bringing in new players into the club so when you then need to bring someone in, you have more to spend on average compared to before.

If we had no youth set-up, then we'd need to recruit 25-ish players or more over a couple of seasons. With signing on fees and transfer fees you can only stretch the budget so far. If you develop your own players, you have the chance to spend more on the players you do then have to recruit and also have the potential chance to sell on these players you have developed for a healthy profit.

Would Southampton have done so well if they hadn't brought players like Lallana and Shaw through their academy? Would Palace without the likes of Zaha? and so on.....

It may take time to reap the rewards, but they should be worth waiting for and it's a longer term project rather than a short term one.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I rest my case even you have little or no ambition where Albion are concerned! Best case scenario please!!

Hi Palace troll :wave:

Until someone comes along and is will to spend as much as or more than the top four clubs, no other team is going to be perminently breaking into that closed shop any time soon (including Palace). Spurs and Everton can't do it, and how long have they been established for?

If you want to support a team with that sort of ambition, follow one of them (Man City is probably your best bet for glory)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
We will NEVER reach the Premiership...

unless they change the name of the league.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Beep beep beep, oh no heavy, the coins keep coming out, beep beep beep, even the telephone hates me, beep beep beep

I wish there were no machines, and everyone led a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear.

:thumbsup:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Oh for crying out loud!

What era do you love in?!?! So we can, in time, compete with the European super powers and one day my grand kids will call me from Barcelona screaming that we have just won the Champions Lge (I'll be bed ridden)........come on mate. It will never happen unless we are bought by a billionaire and even that doesn't guarantee success these days.

Look at the change in ownership of the championship yo yo clubs. When are Reading going to be the next MUFC? QPR...how far aware from being a Liverpool of the future?

Perhaps time to stop listening for DoodleBugs overhead and realise that football has changed and rather than spend wisely and have a go, we, Brighton, have opted to become a feeder club, a supplier for the elite while we neglect the very thing out supporters pay for and adore.

You and Crawley Down deserve one another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here