Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn priced out of move for Poyet

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
Blackburn priced out of move for £2m Poyet.

Blackburn Rovers have identified Gus Poyet as the man to replace Henning Berg as the club's new manager but have been priced out of a move due to the amount of compensation sought by his current club Brighton & Hove Albion. The Seagulls, who sit four places above Blackburn in the Championship, want £2m in recompense for their manager.

Poyet saw his stock rise further with last weekend's FA Cup win against Newcastle United and is rated as one of the brightest managerial prospects outside the Premier League. The Uruguayan headed an ambitious Ewood Park shortlist drawn up when Berg was sacked nearly a fortnight ago. That has since been revised, with Sean O'Driscoll, Peter Taylor and Port Vale manager Micky Adams among those now in the frame for the job.

O'Driscoll, who was sacked by Nottingham Forest on Boxing Day, has turned down the opportunity to manage Barnsley, while Taylor was dismissed as head coach of the Bahrain national team in October.

Blackburn have also issued a public apology to their former manager Sam Allardyce for allegations made against him by Steve Kean. Kean was first-team coach under Allardyce before taking over as manager just a month after the Indian poultry firm Venky's bought the club in 2010, and was caught making allegations on film during a tour of the Far East.

Blackburn priced out of move for £2m Poyet - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Quite right. The day MINNOWS like Blackburn poach our manager are LONG GONE.

Maybe they'll get Thickey Adams?!!?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
£2m? Surely the manager is the most important member of the team, and hardest to replace - why are they so cheap?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If they can afford £8m for Rhodes, they could afford £2m for Poyet.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
£2m? Surely the manager is the most important member of the team, and hardest to replace - why are they so cheap?

Only £2M is worrying. As you say, the manager is our most valuable asset and hardest to replace because when they go, they usually take their back room staff with them. Saying that, why on earth would Gus go to the chicken sellers?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As you say, the manager is our most valuable asset and hardest to replace because when they go, they usually take their back room staff with them.
It's not just that, the manager has built your entire team based on his style. If you lose that manager, you have to start again, and replace players. Obviously not all players are changed when a manager changes, as that's not practical, but what's the point in letting Gus spend several million on players, and spend a couple of years getting them to gel, to then let him leave for £2? Madness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope it wasn't just about the money - if he had any sense Gus wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
That article lost all credibility once they mentioned Adams was on the shortlist.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Why on earth would Gus go to the chicken sellers?

That's the bit that clinches it for me too. I won't be losing an ounce of sleep over this story. There is no way on earth Gus would take a chance on working for football's premier fruit loops

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007
The Uruguayan headed an ambitious Ewood Park shortlist drawn up when Berg was sacked nearly a fortnight ago. That has since been revised, with Sean O'Driscoll, Peter Taylor and Port Vale manager Micky Adams among those now in the frame for the job.

Thats quite a revision from Poyet to Adams and Taylor in two weeks, if this goes on much longer perhaps Martin Hinshelwood and Bob Booker should submit their CV's.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
What a load of bollocks. The Independent must have gone seriously downhill since I used to read it - as if a yopung manager with Gus' potential would entertain such a short term stepping stone move to a club with joke owners when he's piloting and totally running his dream project under the stewardship of a genuine moneybags fan. Venkys didn't even realise you could get relegated when they bought Blackburn, idiots.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The next manager is going to be such a disappointment, they will wish they never booed Keane.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Expecting to hear that Barry Lloyd is being lined up for an interview!
What a tinpot outfit they have turned into.. After everything Jack did for them too.
Can only see them doing a Pompey the way they are going about things and deservedly so!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the club is a joke and i doubt any sensible aspirational manager will go near it after the past years activities. it will take either a huge money truck or someone willing to take a chance who isnt worried about reputation, maybe a new manager or one of their current players (Murphy springs to mind)

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
That is a rather worrying report on two counts:

1. The compensation amount (if correct) for Gus is payable by most Championship and all Prem clubs. We need tp put a 0 at the end of that.

2. Blackburn even considered that Gus would join that north western hell hole, leaving behind our vibrant city. They obviously see us as a small club compared to their big club with massive appeal. Clowns.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is a rather worrying report on two counts:

1. The compensation amount (if correct) for Gus is payable by most Championship and all Prem clubs. We need tp put a 0 at the end of that.

It put Wolves off last March.

Yesterday it was reported that Blackburn were going for Appleton at Blackpool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here