[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think you English people might overestimate Steven Gerrards international reputation quite a bit. He's not Johan Cruyff, not everyone percieves him as some kind of God that everyone wants to play for.

True. I wonder what a Gerrard turn looks like. Maybe a slip at a crucial moment?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Him almost downing tools in some games would not have gone unnoticed and probably distanced the bigger clubs.
Sorry? In which games did he "almost down tools"? How do you do that anyway? Did he almost not make a tackle, or almost not pass to another player, or almost not shoot wildly over the bar?
I hate the narrative that he did not try for us this season from one or two posters, because they are wrong.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry? In which games did he "almost down tools"? How do you do that anyway? Did he almost not make a tackle, or almost not pass to another player, or almost not shoot wildly over the bar?
I hate the narrative that he did not try for us this season from one or two posters, because they are wrong.

Yep, he’s had quite a few below par games, understandable given what happened to him.

He also had a poor game, by his standards, on Sunday but I have never felt that he wasn’t trying

In fact every player has had some poor games as always

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m not convinced it’s all about the money with Biss , he’s no doubt had opportunities to negotiate an increased contract to push him up to £50k ish per week but he hasn’t . He’s currently one of the lowest paid first team starters I’m estimating on around £30k per wk which was the salary I suspect he joined on .

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Double or triple his wages. Gets to play with Coutinho and for Gerrard. If they can sign Coutinho they can sign Biss.

I have no idea how you think that works?
The budget step up from where we are as a club is
1) European Football budgets and unless it is Champions League, all you are really affording is a bigger squad to cope with extra matches
2) Money no object owners, with ambitions to move into the above.

Outside this bracket you currently have Man Utd who need to protect one of the largest revenue streams in global football and Newcastle who have a bottomless sports washing budget. Anyone else going all in from a budget perspective this summer, is likely to end up with a huge problem further down the road.

If Villa were to land Bissouma I will be hugely disappointed, as I don't believe they have got money to throw at this and I hope that Bissouma has bigger ambitions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not convinced it’s all about the money with Biss , he’s no doubt had opportunities to negotiate an increased contract to push him up to £50k ish per week but he hasn’t . He’s currently one of the lowest paid first team starters I’m estimating on around £30k per wk which was the salary I suspect he joined on .

I suspect Welbeck would want a pay rise bearing in mind he’s overtaken Maupay in the pecking order . Currently on I’m estimating around £45k pw .

Why do you think, you, and only you, knows how much each player earns?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

*guessing

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sadly can’t see anyone spending a big fee and a huge wage for someone they can get for ‘only’ a huge wage next season.

Dunno, it's not uncommon. Like Danny Ings a year ago, he had only one year left on his contract and Villa paid £25m.

Something similar to that is quite possible. We can forget about £50m+ but clubs are willing to pay decent money to get a player now rather than later and to avoid wage bid wars.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sadly can’t see anyone spending a big fee and a huge wage for someone they can get for ‘only’ a huge wage next season.

That would hinge on whether two or more clubs are desperate to sign him now. They know he’s the real EPL deal and will likely improve their season 2022/23.

But as you intimate, it won’t be the £60m it might’ve been if Biss’s contract had longer to run.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I agree it won't be a 40 million plus, for exactly the reason you highlight above. But I think there's enough interest in him that we could get 25 to 30 million.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you English people might overestimate Steven Gerrards international reputation quite a bit. He's not Johan Cruyff, not everyone percieves him as some kind of God that everyone wants to play for.

You can’t say that on here! (see also Lampard, Frank)
The pair of them were part of an England "golden generation" that couldn't go beyond a quarter final. In fact, they couldn't even play very well in the same team.

That said, in fairness they've both been integral in sides that won the Champions League.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have no idea how you think that works?
The budget step up from where we are as a club is
1) European Football budgets and unless it is Champions League, all you are really affording is a bigger squad to cope with extra matches
2) Money no object owners, with ambitions to move into the above.

Outside this bracket you currently have Man Utd who need to protect one of the largest revenue streams in global football and Newcastle who have a bottomless sports washing budget. Anyone else going all in from a budget perspective this summer, is likely to end up with a huge problem further down the road.

If Villa were to land Bissouma I will be hugely disappointed, as I don't believe they have got money to throw at this and I hope that Bissouma has bigger ambitions.

Villa took in £30M more revenue than us in last set of accounts and lost about £20M less than us. Without factoring Ben White for us or Grealish for them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports