Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Why would he take a sideways move to Villa, a club that finished 14th when he is already playing for a club that finished 9th.
I agree with you, I can't see it happening unless one of the big boys steps up.

Because I think Biss may be motivated as much by cash as by prestige.
It can be the only reason he hasn't signed a new contract.

Villa have been able to secure Coutinho, so I'm guessing any wage deal could be significant.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Why would he take a sideways move to Villa, a club that finished 14th when he is already playing for a club that finished 9th.
I agree with you, I can't see it happening unless one of the big boys steps up.

Double or triple his wages. Gets to play with Coutinho and for Gerrard. If they can sign Coutinho they can sign Biss.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’ll massively improve a Villa or Newcastle central midfield, he has it all. Imho just as good as £125m Rice, but the latter’s a few years younger.

Pace, mobility, relentlessly eliminating danger, justified arrogance.

I hope he goes to a 2022/23 CL club instead.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Villa or Newcastle would feel like a waste of his talent. I can't blame the bloke for going to somebody who will triple his wages as I imagine either of those money-blinded clubs would, but it would be a shame to see him stuck in an ordinary side like Villa and Newcastle basically are. I want to see how he gets on in a really top team.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are a big fan of Gerrard as a manager? I can't help thinking that Biss would be much better off moving to a club who have a manager with a track record as a top manager. Gerrard is still a rookie and what he did at Rangers does not automatically make him top class..just imo

Not especially , but I think they are shaping up well and he’s being heavily backed by their board. Coutihno is an outstanding signing and getting Boubacar deal done so quickly is a sign of intent.

People are forgetting when we signed Bissouma It was under Hughton when our wage bill was 2nd lowest. We’ve signed players like Webster after, and they’ve had subsequent pay rises / new deals but not Biss - so not through lack of trying but sadly looks like money is his primary focus

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not especially , but I think they are shaping up well and he’s being heavily backed by their board. Coutihno is an outstanding signing and getting Boubacar deal done so quickly is a sign of intent.

People are forgetting when we signed Bissouma It was under Hughton when our wage bill was 2nd lowest. We’ve signed players like Webster after, and they’ve had subsequent pay rises / new deals but not Biss - so not through lack of trying but sadly looks like money is his primary focus

Coutinho has been hit & miss. Started out brilliantly, then did nothing much for a couple of months before resurfacing once the limelight was on him because they were playing Liverpool.

I've heard plenty of Villa fans who are slightly concerned at just how much his wages are, even on the reduced rate (ha!) that he's on now he's signed permanently. Primarily whether he will justify them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I cannot tell you how disappointed I will be if Biss ends up at Gerrard's Aston Villa.
Me too.

But if they are the only bid on the table then that is where we are.

I also struggle to see how they can afford to pay him much more than we do, unless they are just prepared to have a bigger annual loss.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Me too.

But if they are the only bid on the table then that is where we are.

I also struggle to see how they can afford to pay him much more than we do, unless they are just prepared to have a bigger annual loss.

Their owners are billionaires, who have already demonstrated with their comedy post-promotion signings that they are willing to throw a lot of money after particularly old rope.

They very much like statement signings, to keep the fans happy, whether the numbers make sense or not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Their owners are billionaires, who have already demonstrated with their comedy post-promotion signings that they are willing to throw a lot of money after particularly old rope.

They very much like statement signings, to keep the fans happy, whether the numbers make sense or not.
Yes, I sort of guessed they just will accept a bigger loss.

Presumably the rules that limit losses will kick back in soon once the amnesty for Covid is over.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Double or triple his wages. Gets to play with Coutinho and for Gerrard. If they can sign Coutinho they can sign Biss.

I think you English people might overestimate Steven Gerrards international reputation quite a bit. He's not Johan Cruyff, not everyone percieves him as some kind of God that everyone wants to play for.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think you English people might overestimate Steven Gerrards international reputation quite a bit.

Wrong, I certainly don’t, he was a legend at Liverpool yes, but outside Liverpool & on the international stage, he never set the world alight.
A good solid workhorse, that’s it.

He's not Johan Cruyff, not everyone percieves him as some kind of God that everyone wants to play for.

Certainly agree with you here.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think you English people might overestimate Steven Gerrards international reputation quite a bit. He's not Johan Cruyff, not everyone percieves him as some kind of God that everyone wants to play for.

You can’t say that on here! (see also Lampard, Frank)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don’t rule out West Ham if they lose Declan Rice
I hope Sunday wasn't a potential job interview, in that case! Ball given away multiple times and hooked at half time? Not for me, Clive...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here