Bigger fish to fry than palace?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Crikey, it took you a LONG time to gather the confidence to respond!!

palace scraped a win at home, let in 3, vs a midtable outfit.

Whereas you have scraped 2 points and only scored 1 goal in your last 3 games against midtable sides...

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I think the amount of contempt you are viewed with is used to allocate you a Games Maker avatar. You should be pleased with yours Dougie! Seaside and Eagle_83 on the other hand....
Oh so thats what it is ! very good and yes it could have been worse .

Feb 14, 2010
I think this weekend a good example of the different aspirations. With thousands of tickets given away to schools and a groupon 2 for 1 offer, the palace got home crowd when moving to the top three of 4000/5000 less than the Albion get for midweek game. That is just the fact, its not a snipe at palace its just how it is. So if the Albion establish itself in the top flight and get clubs like Arsenal down at The Amex, it will be interesting to see how far Bloom can take the Albion. Then of course the rivalry will survive but its likely to be a bit like Stoke v Port Vale as the difference in support will be even larger than the 12,000 through the turnstile that it is now.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think this weekend a good example of the different aspirations. With thousands of tickets given away to schools and a groupon 2 for 1 offer, the palace got home crowd when moving to the top three of 4000/5000 less than the Albion get for midweek game. That is just the fact, its not a snipe at palace its just how it is. So if the Albion establish itself in the top flight and get clubs like Arsenal down at The Amex, it will be interesting to see how far Bloom can take the Albion. Then of course the rivalry will survive but its likely to be a bit like Stoke v Port Vale as the difference in support will be even larger than the 12,000 through the turnstile that it is now.

I will take it but i will always love to hate Palace...even if they slide into oblivion which for now seems most unlikely so i will enjoy the rivalry and banter we have right now- it's win win really

serial thriller

I'm a Palace fan
Aug 7, 2011

Yeah, imagine if it got to a stage where one of us was getting 12000 more through the gate than the other. Can't imagine that would ever happen...

This whole thread is a massive embarassment, epitomizes the arrogance of your club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah, imagine if it got to a stage where one of us was getting 12000 more through the gate than the other. Can't imagine that would ever happen...

This whole thread is a massive embarassment, epitomizes the arrogance of your club.

Oi. Not all of us live in the fantasyland of the OP.

Feb 14, 2010
It is not arrogant to seek to analyse figures and then make a valued judgment on the future. If, when in the same division and both clubs are doing roughly the same on the pitch, club A gets on average 12,000 to 14,000 each week than club B then if / when club B moves up a division, then the gap is only likely to get wider. That is not arrogant, its a simple logical analysis. The way the two clubs are run is different however. Albion's transfer fund is dependent on revenue, whereas palace's I expect must be dependant on wealthy owners or borrowing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

It also epitomizes the 2 single things Palace never ever saw coming,Brighton with 25,500 average gates and Brighton with gates at times 12,000 larger than theirs in the same division-this is the real bug bear

Feb 14, 2010
Oi. Not all of us live in the fantasyland of the OP.

Your fantasy land my friend is everyone else's foresight. It is also the same foresight that I and many many others used to predict the current position even when standing on a terrace at Hereford. Telling those without foresight "I told you so" is something that is a bit harsh but it does make me chuckle how people with a track record of a lack of foresight then seek again to raise their head again. Have you not learnt from your incorrect predictions of the past?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Your fantasy land my friend is everyone else's foresight. It is also the same foresight that I and many many others used to predict the current position even when standing on a terrace at Hereford. Telling those without foresight "I told you so" is something that is a bit harsh but it does make me chuckle how people with a track record of a lack of foresight then seek again to raise their head again. Have you not learnt from your incorrect predictions of the past?

Which incorrect predictions of the past?

Feb 14, 2010
Which incorrect predictions of the past?

Oh you know, how about that the Albion wouldn't be getting as big / bigger crowds than Leeds, Derby, Forest and a third of the premier league. Before you have the usual negative knee jerk reaction, then can I urge you to just try and use some open minded foresight. It is how people make money, seeing things that seem obvious after they have happened and that is the whole point of this thread. Please put your grey cells in action and tell us your prediction for the Albion over the next say 5 years.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
It is not arrogant to seek to analyse figures and then make a valued judgment on the future. If, when in the same division and both clubs are doing roughly the same on the pitch, club A gets on average 12,000 to 14,000 each week than club B then if / when club B moves up a division, then the gap is only likely to get wider. That is not arrogant, its a simple logical analysis. The way the two clubs are run is different however. Albion's transfer fund is dependent on revenue, whereas palace's I expect must be dependant on wealthy owners or borrowing.

Stoke > Port Vale my arse. So bloody arrogant. Last time I looked we were still in the same league and were ahead of you?

The reason for your bigger attendences are:

A) Novelty of new stadium
B) Novelty of being in Championship
C) Winning football over the past 2.5 years.

The above has attracted a lot of, as we like to refer to them as, plastics/JCL's to your club.

The reason our crowds are not at your level is:

A) Outdated stadium
B) Being in this league 14 out the last 15 seasons
C) Relegation battles or boring football in past 3 seasons

In regards to point C for us, the past month shows that an upturn in our crowds should be round the corner as we are doing well on the pitch and the football is now very entertaining. However I highly doubt we will ever regularly get crowds over 20,000 again until we get a new stadium or promotion.But if some of you honestly think we wouldn't be getting your crowds if we were in the same circumstances as you find yourselves (points A, B & C having all happend at around the same time which is fortunate) then you're more deluded than even I thought. Our fan base is there (as proved last season in the cup semi where we sold out Selhurst and this weekend's big crowd) it's just people in these hard times are choosing to be more careful with there money. It's much easier for a Brighton fan currently to decide to part with there money as they get to watch new teams in a state of the art stadium whereas our fans have seen these teams loads over the past 15 years and Selhurst is hardly a Palace (no pun intended!)

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Thanks Eagle 83 for replying to the thread on issue. I dont agree that a new stadium explains bigger crowds than Leeds United, Shef W and a third of the premier league. It certainly has not for Millwall or Reading. In fact Readings gates went up by about 5000 / 6000 to about 12000 to 13000 when they first moved and then had to wait for top flight to move to their current levels. Saints crowds rose with a new ground but they like Albion have a large natural fan base with a solid historical fanbase. I also, leaving aside the jibes dont actually think Selhurst is a disadvantage at all. Its a good ground if you ask me, with good transport at its historical home.

El P, are you able to make a prediction for the next 5 years?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El P, are you able to make a prediction for the next 5 years?

Anyone can make predictions.

If we continue as a mid table Championship team for five years then attendance levels will decline from their current 25,500.

If we are promoted then we will sell out the first season home and away, if we are subsequently relegated those attendances will fall faster than if we continue in the EPL.

Palace will ALWAYS be our rivals, despite what you and a few others try to engineer. We have only been in the same division as them for five seasons out of the last twenty, but the antagonism will not fade.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think I've found the reason for our downturn in form this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports