Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best ever Brighton away support for a night game? (excluding cup final replay)

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
You are joking, right? If you watch it on video we completely and utterly OUTSING United at the end, even though they have just won the FA CUP and we have been stuffed. Even the commentators mention it. Magnificent support. And much better than the first match because we had the entire end of the stadium, whereas in the first game the bottom tier behind the goal was for 'neutrals' which of course meant it was United.

Think you find the bottom layer was for Brighton fans but some how 3000 tickets ended up at a travel agency in Manchester via a director allegedly , mentioning no names .

Jimmy Grimble

One I most enjoyed in recent times was Bristol Rovers away. On the brink of another nail in our League One relegation coffin 1-0 down at half-time, I remember their fans giving us loads of shit about getting relegated etc, then the supertrio of Gary Hart, Lloyd Owusu and Calvin Andrew combined to save our arses and pluck a 2-1 win to keep our survival hopes alive. Pasties and cider flying everywhere when we were all doing the Lloyd Owusu staying up jig thing. Also remember it was the same day Arshavin scored 4 at Anfield when Arsenal drew 4-4 with Liverpool, they were talking about how important Arshavin was to Arsenal's future on 5Live in the car home :lolol:

This for me as well. Vividly remember seeing a burger luzzed onto the pitch after the second goal, where it duly remained for quite some time :lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Think you find the bottom layer was for Brighton fans but some how 3000 tickets ended up at a travel agency in Manchester via a director allegedly , mentioning no names .

No, that's not the case. As is usual for the Cup Final, vast sections of the stadium went to neutral fans, complimentary tickets for players from other clubs as well as members of county FAs etc. Of course virtually all of these ended up in the hands of United fans. So in effect they had both ends (another FA disgrace), as there were virtually no Brighton fans in the lower tier behind the goal in the first game.

The upper tier and the side sections at that end were almost all Brighton with the odd pocket of United fans (thanks no doubt to backhanders). I had two particularly unpleasant ones near me, who threatened everyone around them including the 70-something old fella next to me (who had obviously watched Brighton all his life and was trying to enjoy the big day). The United fans below us pelted us with coins throughout the game. Nice bunch. The stewards did nothing.

Slightly took the shine off things... The replay was much better from that point of view, as we had the whole end. The support from our fans, especially at the end of the game, was phenomenal - as briefly captured by the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQUgWqXZS8

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
In your opinion which has been the best support for a night game away(not necessarily the biggest)
Mine would be forest away in the league cup 78 what's your choice?:moo:

I went to that. By car fortunately.

However, my choice would be the 4-3 defeat away to Charlton in the Division 2 late seventies when the gate went from under 7,000 the previous match to 18,000. It was more like a home match than a home match.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Millwall away JPT as well for me. Only 800 of us but we sang our hearts out and if I'd have kept the ticket stub I wouldn't have had to sit with the West Ham fans in the FA Cup match.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Millwall away JPT as well for me. Only 800 of us but we sang our hearts out and if I'd have kept the ticket stub I wouldn't have had to sit with the West Ham fans in the FA Cup match.

I'd forgotten about this game but agreed fantastic atmosphere. Going totally mental over a mickey mouse cup game was brilliant.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I'd forgotten about this game but agreed fantastic atmosphere. Going totally mental over a mickey mouse cup game was brilliant.

I too had forgotten about Millwall in the JPT. I went with an Arsenal fan mate and he couldn't believe the atmosphere for such a nothing cup. Till this day he still thinks (quite rightly) that we have some of the best fans in the country

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
For all the BIG games I've been to since I started going home and away 30- odd years ago, I'm going to vote for what might seem an odd choice. Millwall away, in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. The Albion were shocking. Butters got sent off at the start, and we went 1 down soon after. We barely had a chance all game, until Robinson scored out of nothing, in the 92nd minute, to send it straight to pens. There were only a few hundred of us there, but for some odd reason the atmosphere in the away end was amazing.

I was at that one. Atmosphere was indeed brilliant. Think there were more than a few hundred of us though, maybe even 1000?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Away at Blackpool, midweek during a fuel strike in 2000ish, Rogers and OGH. 2-0 away win. I effing loved that one :)

I think there was a rail strike as well.

................anyhows, I didn't and stil don't go to many games but I went for that one as it was a challenge ............. loved it

I was visiting Manchester office that day (like you do) but didn't have enough petrol to guarantee getting home again so caught the train to Blackpool. No rail strike that evening but there might have been a reduced schedule to save fuel on the smelly regional diesel trains?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
There was. I'd been really clever and arranged a business trip in Lancashire so I could go straight to the game ... and then the train strike was announced. Was doubly gutted when I heard the score.

As previous, despite disruption there were some trains that evening. Bummer ... you missed a great night.

doug7126

Apr 13, 2008
Aldershot
The 3 nil win at London road when we won league 1 was my favourite singing night mate on London road and were f@&King brilliant.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Only watched half the game had a mis understanding with over zealous policeman who let me off after Graham Mosley intervened. Missed the Chelsea fans trying to intercept the Brighton Fans on the tube.

I think it was Parsons Green; they got a bit of a surprise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here