Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best ever Brighton away support for a night game? (excluding cup final replay)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With you on this one - we took two (or was it three) football special trains for this mid week game. Amazing match Wardy and Mellor running wins around a very good WBA team.

That was indeed a fantastic night and one of my all time favourite Albion games but I seem to recall we had one end of the ground and nowhere near filled it so although the result was right the atmosphere was not, IMO, as good as a packed Forest or Derby around the same time

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Agree this was a good occasion with Wardy literally skating round Emlyn Hughes to run through and score - but there weren't many of us there in what was then a mostly derelict stadium.

no more than 300 from what I remember

getting off the train at Brighton that night with everyone singing,echoing all around the station

one of those,I was there moments for sure

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Millwall away at the old Den in the play-off semi-final in 91? Though that was more a case of 'how are we gonna get out of here alive?' I remember them starting bonfires on the terraces at the end of the game. They kept us in for what seemed like an hour but the Millwall mob wouldn't leave the stadium, until the police eventually drove them out with dogs. Then they were all waiting for us in the car park....

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
That was indeed a fantastic night and one of my all time favourite Albion games but I seem to recall we had one end of the ground and nowhere near filled it so although the result was right the atmosphere was not, IMO, as good as a packed Forest or Derby around the same time

You're right about the Brighton end not being full, but the atmosphere was still fantastic.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How come no-one's mentioned the 1-0 win at Selhurst in 2005? That was the best night game atmosphere I have witnessed. It was like a return to the old days.

In your opinion which has been the best support for a night game away(not necessarily the biggest)
Mine would be forest away in the league cup 78 what's your choice?:moo:

Counted 74 coaches and only one of three trains made it. But still must have been over 6k at the forest game,derby,west brom, and the bridge also great nights:thumbsup:

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
Millwall away at the old Den in the play-off semi-final in 91? Though that was more a case of 'how are we gonna get out of here alive?' I remember them starting bonfires on the terraces at the end of the game. They kept us in for what seemed like an hour but the Millwall mob wouldn't leave the stadium, until the police eventually drove them out with dogs. Then they were all waiting for us in the car park....

i was in the Millwall end ....i know

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
No, Chelsea and Fulham (there because Mullers was their Captain before joining us) were on the receiving end, so were Palarse outside and at Fulham Broadway. Brighton were going mental!

:rave:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As a younger fan, for some reason that Rushden away game where we won 3-1 maybe(?) Really stuck in my head as a great turnout and atmo. Spurs away in the cup was gd and Reading when Kitson scored. Charlton midweek recently when Benno scored also class...

In your opinion which has been the best support for a night game away(not necessarily the biggest)
Mine would be forest away in the league cup 78 what's your choice?:moo:

What, even though 2 special train loads of us didn't even get there? My train left Brighton at lunchtime and arrived back at midnight after spending hours parked in various places and an unwarranted rendez-vous with the Northampton police dogs in Kettering station (the furthest north we reahed).

Jul 5, 2003
Counted 74 coaches and only one of three trains made it. But still must have been over 6k at the forest game,derby,west brom, and the bridge also great nights:thumbsup:

I was on one of the two trains that didn't make it to Forest. We had one transistor radio on our train and tried listening to the match whilst sitting in Kettering Station. The train went mad when Wardy scored. Apparently the first train went through a tunnel and then a timetabled train broke down in the tunnel and blocked the way for the other two trains. Eventually the driver came through the train and said he would try to get us there but we only made it as far as Kettering before it was obvious we wouldn't make it.

The club gave us all tickets to a showing of the match at Hove Town Hall and free tickets for the football special to Charlton. A huge away crowd at The Valley saw us win 3-0!

However, Newcastle away on 4th May 1979 was my greatest memory. We left Littlehampton at 3am on Saturday and arrived back home at 3am on Sunday! During the game we had heavy rain, sunshine and snow!! 3-0 up at half time and job was more or less done. Great day. The next morning went we went over to the Goldstone for the street parade. Arrived at 9am, still the worse for wear. Was strange seeing the hallowed Goldstone pitch having been stripped of all it's grass and levelled off. They wouldn't think anything of it these days but it was very unusual back then.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
As a younger fan, for some reason that Rushden away game where we won 3-1 maybe(?) Really stuck in my head as a great turnout and atmo. Spurs away in the cup was gd and Reading when Kitson scored. Charlton midweek recently when Benno scored also class...

I remember that Rushden game very well. Being a younger fan I also remember it being a good atmosphere. I think I was about 9/10 and arrived very late and got into the ground at half time and as I walked in I still remember John Piercy thumping a shot during the half time kick about and it missed the goal and hit me bang in the stomach. I remember he came over to me straight away to see if I was alright. Strange one but I do remember it! We won 3-0, Leon Knight definitely got one and may have even got 2 and the other was Zesh Rehman

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Baseball ground 1976.
Mud,blood and thunder!

This. I was at the Forest game but I thought it was nothing compared to the Derby match. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere that night (I also won about £12 in a card game on the Special- enough to pay for my ticket, train fare, fish and chips and a cab ride home - marvellous scenes)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For all the BIG games I've been to since I started going home and away 30- odd years ago, I'm going to vote for what might seem an odd choice. Millwall away, in the Johnstones Paint Trophy. The Albion were shocking. Butters got sent off at the start, and we went 1 down soon after. We barely had a chance all game, until Robinson scored out of nothing, in the 92nd minute, to send it straight to pens. There were only a few hundred of us there, but for some odd reason the atmosphere in the away end was amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here