BBC South - We won't cover BHA next season!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given how much BBC South wound me up with the coverage they did give us I suppose that this is a good thing.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I ain't the best letter writer but feel free to use/amend my compliant, I find this shocking and it backs up my view for years that they hate covering our football club and want to isolate us as a backwater team with a very small and localised support base.

This is the automatic response I have received:

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is an automated email confirming we have received the complaint below and submitted in this name via http://www.bbc.co.complaints. Please do not reply to this email since it is generated from an unmonitored address. If you believe you have received this in error please contact us using our webform at BBC - Complaints - Home.

We attach the text of the complaint for your records and will normally include it in our overnight report of all today’s audience reaction. This is circulated to BBC staff tomorrow (with your personal details removed) and ensures your points will reach the right people quickly. We aim normally to reply within 10 working days (around 2 weeks) depending on the nature of your complaint.

To make sure we use the licence fee efficiently we may not investigate every issue in detail, and for consistency may send the same reply if others have also complained about the same issue. For our full complaints procedures and how we consider the issues raised in feedback please read BBC - Complaints - What happens to your complaint

----------

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Complaint Summary: Sports broadcasts to exclude Brighton and Hove FC

Full Complaint: Dear Sir/Madam I am lead to believe that South Today news will no longer include news stories, results, features or highlights of Brighton and Hove Albion Football club. Your broadcasts cover a big catchment area for this well supported club. Can you confirm this decision and why this group of licence paying viewers will be excluded. Have the BBC consulted either the club or viewers in making this decision or is the fact your central area has always been focused on the key locations of both Portsmouth and Southampton so this is the main focus of your reporting. I have no problem in watching reports on other teams, Charlton, Crawley etc as long as my team is covered in like. I urge you to reconsider this decision and allow your outer lying areas and local viewers access to the news and coverage that the BBC has the rights to broadcast. Many fans will not have access to your complaints process if they do not have internet access, how will you promote the options to voice concerns with the tens of thousands of fans in towns such as Worthing, Haywards Heath and Pulborough not to mention the fans that live in Hampshire and Dorset. This decision appears to be made by someone who has little or no idea of sports fans and how far regional supporters are. Does this rule also apple to Sussex Cricket coverage as well, if so you are excluding another group from accessing your exclusive footage that may only be possible for them to see via TV coverage. Reverse this decision.

----------

Thank you again for contacting us.

BBC Complaints

NB: Please do not reply to this email. It comes from an automated account which is not monitored

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I ain't the best letter writer but feel free to use/amend my compliant, I find this shocking and it backs up my view for years that they hate covering our football club and want to isolate us as a backwater team with a very small and localised support base.

This is the automatic response I have received:

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is an automated email confirming we have received the complaint below and submitted in this name via http://www.bbc.co.complaints. Please do not reply to this email since it is generated from an unmonitored address. If you believe you have received this in error please contact us using our webform at BBC - Complaints - Home.

We attach the text of the complaint for your records and will normally include it in our overnight report of all today’s audience reaction. This is circulated to BBC staff tomorrow (with your personal details removed) and ensures your points will reach the right people quickly. We aim normally to reply within 10 working days (around 2 weeks) depending on the nature of your complaint.

To make sure we use the licence fee efficiently we may not investigate every issue in detail, and for consistency may send the same reply if others have also complained about the same issue. For our full complaints procedures and how we consider the issues raised in feedback please read BBC - Complaints - What happens to your complaint

----------

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Complaint Summary: Sports broadcasts to exclude Brighton and Hove FC

Full Complaint: Dear Sir/Madam I am lead to believe that South Today news will no longer include news stories, results, features or highlights of Brighton and Hove Albion Football club. Your broadcasts cover a big catchment area for this well supported club. Can you confirm this decision and why this group of licence paying viewers will be excluded. Have the BBC consulted either the club or viewers in making this decision or is the fact your central area has always been focused on the key locations of both Portsmouth and Southampton so this is the main focus of your reporting. I have no problem in watching reports on other teams, Charlton, Crawley etc as long as my team is covered in like. I urge you to reconsider this decision and allow your outer lying areas and local viewers access to the news and coverage that the BBC has the rights to broadcast. Many fans will not have access to your complaints process if they do not have internet access, how will you promote the options to voice concerns with the tens of thousands of fans in towns such as Worthing, Haywards Heath and Pulborough not to mention the fans that live in Hampshire and Dorset. This decision appears to be made by someone who has little or no idea of sports fans and how far regional supporters are. Does this rule also apple to Sussex Cricket coverage as well, if so you are excluding another group from accessing your exclusive footage that may only be possible for them to see via TV coverage. Reverse this decision.

----------

Thank you again for contacting us.

BBC Complaints

NB: Please do not reply to this email. It comes from an automated account which is not monitored

Good work, thanks. Letter and tweet sent!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
is there any way we can f*** both Meridian and South Today off and have our own nightly news?

I couldn't give a f**k about Portsmouth and Southampton

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Havent watched regional news in years. Reason? Its f***ing shit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When does the Brighton TV start hopefully they will show some and we may get it in Haywards Heath.
Not sure which we get in Haywards Heath I know we get Meridian with Fred Dinange and a woman and on the back drop is the bridge on the one way system in MAIDSTONE.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have a sky box in a bedroom from when I had sky multi room anda freview box in my lounge. I cannot find BBC SE listed on the freeview channels, will I be able to pick it up if so where

Freesat is via your satellite dish so on the Sky box - BBC1 South East is on channel 983 (this changes to channel 963 after the re-shuffle on Tuesday). Freeview is via your TV aerial , if BBC1 South is on channel 1 check to see if there is another BBC1 channel on channel 800 , if not try a retune to see if your aerial picks up the signal from a secondary transmitter which will be BBC1 South East on channel 800.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Freesat is via your satellite dish so on the Sky box - BBC1 South East is on channel 983 (this changes to channel 963 after the re-shuffle on Tuesday). Freeview is via your TV aerial , if BBC1 South is on channel 1 check to see if there is another BBC1 channel on channel 800 , if not try a retune to see if your aerial picks up the signal from a secondary transmitter which will be BBC1 South East on channel 800.

I have just tried channel 800 on freeview and it comes up with a message reception fault check your antenna. As I live in a flat it is a communal aerial so perhaps I need to contact the installers or as you say after the football tonight try a retune. I haven't tried the sky box which we use for free to view TV in the bedroom.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
What about regional ITV news, won't Meridian continue to show Albion highlights?

Disgraceful from the Beeb either way, especially since they cancelled the Football League show for next season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have just tried channel 800 on freeview and it comes up with a message reception fault check your antenna. As I live in a flat it is a communal aerial so perhaps I need to contact the installers or as you say after the football tonight try a retune. I haven't tried the sky box which we use for free to view TV in the bedroom.

Maybe worth an idea to to ask the installers if they can add another aerial pointing at the other transmitter into the communal system or failing that see if the current aerial will pick up an overlap signal if moved slightly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am worrying about nothing as the local news has just come on after the national news on BBC and it shows as BBC South East. Noticed the weather takes into account Burgess Hill as highlighted so perhaps Edna and all other BH people will be ok as it may cover them. Perhaps they may have to retune after Tuesday.

Last edited:

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Perhaps they should just re-align their local stations down here and have seperate ones for Sussex, Hampshire and Kent instead of South and South East.

I live in Newhaven and my local news (although it covers the Albion) is almost exclusively stories from Kent, with the odd East Sussex bit lobbed in as an almost token gesture.

Exactly. And they cover CHARLTON ATHLETIC! No idea what this is about. Watched it once when the only football news they reported was advertising free Charlton matchday coaches from Hastings, Rye and Medway, all for a LONDON club! Unbelievable.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
What about regional ITV news, won't Meridian continue to show Albion highlights?

Disgraceful from the Beeb either way, especially since they cancelled the Football League show for next season.

The Football League Show is cancelled too?? When was that announced? I take it another channel are planning to show highlights (except Sky Sports News)?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
The Football League Show is cancelled too?? When was that announced? I take it another channel are planning to show highlights (except Sky Sports News)?

I'm not sure if they've made the decision final, but all signs are pointing to it being axed "to save money". I don't know which channel - if any - will put up a replacement show.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure South Today will still be able to squeeze in extended coverage of Cowes Week, that's what the people REALLY want to see.

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston

It was reported in the Guardian on 21st May that a three year deal had been struck to keep The Football League Show on BBC1. You can read the report in Guardian on-line. Also reported in The Mail.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It was reported in the Guardian on 21st May that a three year deal had been struck to keep The Football League Show on BBC1. You can read the report in Guardian on-line. Also reported in The Mail.

And the BBC.

BBC Sport - BBC extends Football League TV deal for three more years

I think my main concern about this, is the regional BBC areas ousting coverage of our team, leading to less people getting access to news on our club leading to less people buying merchandise, tickets and getting involved with all the community projects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports