Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC South - We won't cover BHA next season!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Will this affect Radio Sussex coverage of the games and commentaries.

No. its BBC RADIO sussex NOT television - completely different bit of the organisation.

regional TV has always been a bit of a problem for the BBC which stated as a national service, rather than ITV which started off as a locality based service. So the TV transmitter network has laways been designed to provide a national, rather than regional, service. Its just that in the old analogue days that was easier to do than it is now with Digital TV, which is pretty much a one size fits all solution to TV

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The crazy thing is that there are 3 main TV transmitters situated in Sussex. Heathfield, Midhurst and Brighton plus relays. Yet we cannot have a dedicated Sussex local news service because the coastal strip is served by the Rowridge transmitter on the IOW which as we all know serves Hampshire, Dorset as well as the coast of Sussex. One would think in this age they could have a more selective transmission area. Alas, Sussex is not alone in with this problem. The mighty Yorkshire area is plagued by similar complaints. Live in Harrogate get your "local" news from Newcastle instead of Leeds or York.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Can somebody explain why Sussex cannot be tuned into one of those transmitters rather than I o W

The 3 Sussex transmitters do serve Sussex as well as Hants, Surrey, Kent. If I am correct BG you get your signal from Heathfield (South East Today) whereas others get their service from Midhurst (South Today). The Brighton transmitter was linked to Rowridge but now is linked to Heathfield. What needs to be done is to make the Brighton transmitter serve the Sussex Coast in West Sussex but I guess that would interfere with the IOW tansmitter. We also would need main TV studios say in Brighton to provide the local news. BBC Sussex in Queens Road only has a studio to link to the main newsrooms in Tunbridge Wells, Southampton or London. It's not easy to sort this out but my guess is it could be possibly through an opt out via the red button. Would cost money.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Does this mean LKO South/South West won't bother with us either?

What would be better is if Sussex was covered by just one of them as a whole, not East & West.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I have made an official complaint to the BBC but I would encourage people to make their views known on the BBC South Today facbook page:

Improve Your Experience | Facebook

Let them know the strength of feeling

south.today@bbc.co.uk

Hi Southampton Today,

Oh sorry that was meant to be South Today!

Do you not realise that at least a third of Brighton and Hove Albion's support is based in West Sussex? You do realise the team run out to Sussex by the Sea? Your decision to not cover the Seagulls is plain disgusting! I do not wnat to hear about Swindon, Oxford, Reading etc I want to hear about my local club Brighton & Hove Albion!!

The coverage of Sussex by the BBC is very poor, if you live in East Sussex all you get is news about Kent and Essex and in West Sussex blanket Hampshire, Dorest and Reading, We want news about Sussex, you know that large county on the South coast!

Can I have a refund on my licence fee please?

Very angry of Littlehampton, in West Sussex if you did not know 23 miles to Brighton 33 to Portsmouth.

Last edited:

I'm sure South Today will still be able to squeeze in extended coverage of Cowes Week, that's what the people REALLY want to see.
Are South Today reporters who want foreign travel as part of their job restricted to the Isle of Wight? Poor sods! At least South East Today people get regular trips to Calais to stock up on cheap wine / report on the latest crisis in the cross-channel ferry industry or illegal immigrants sneaking across the channel on Eurotunnel services.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 3 Sussex transmitters do serve Sussex as well as Hants, Surrey, Kent. If I am correct BG you get your signal from Heathfield (South East Today) whereas others get their service from Midhurst (South Today). The Brighton transmitter was linked to Rowridge but now is linked to Heathfield. What needs to be done is to make the Brighton transmitter serve the Sussex Coast in West Sussex but I guess that would interfere with the IOW tansmitter. We also would need main TV studios say in Brighton to provide the local news. BBC Sussex in Queens Road only has a studio to link to the main newsrooms in Tunbridge Wells, Southampton or London. It's not easy to sort this out but my guess is it could be possibly through an opt out via the red button. Would cost money.

I dont know anything about this but could the studio in Queens Road not be converted to do tv as they are able to set up mobile studios quite quickly and easily whenever they televise a match like at Withdean. Could they not develope a part of The Amex to incorporate it and also for when ever we or Gus are being televised. Is the proposed Brighon Tv going to be run by the BBC or as an independant channel and where are their studios going to be.

Last edited:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
All they need to do is pay a small fee to help BBC South East to fund the reporter and editing of BHAFC reports and use them on BBC South Today.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Well done on all the letter writing etc to BBC South, it is having an affect. Greg said on Friday they won't be covering BHAFC because there's no interest in the Club from viewers in West Sussex or Hampshire!! Think he'll need to revisit that thought. The Club are now looking into raising this with the BBC too apparently.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have made an official complaint to the BBC but I would encourage people to make their views known on the BBC South Today facbook page:

Improve Your Experience | Facebook

Let them know the strength of feeling

south.today@bbc.co.uk

Hi Southampton Today,

Oh sorry that was meant to be South Today!

Do you not realise that at least a third of Brighton and Hove Albion's support is based in West Sussex? You do realise the team run out to Sussex by the Sea? Your decision to not cover the Seagulls is plain disgusting! I do not wnat to hear about Swindon, Oxford, Reading etc I want to hear about my local club Brighton & Hove Albion!!

The coverage of Sussex by the BBC is very poor, if you live in East Sussex all you get is news about Kent and Essex and in West Sussex blanket Hampshire, Dorest and Reading, We want news about Sussex, you know that large county on the South coast!

Can I have a refund on my licence fee please?

Very angry of Littlehampton, in West Sussex if you did not know 23 miles to Brighton 33 to Portsmouth.

Good mail, wonder how many they have received

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The crazy thing is that there are 3 main TV transmitters situated in Sussex. Heathfield, Midhurst and Brighton plus relays. Yet we cannot have a dedicated Sussex local news service because the coastal strip is served by the Rowridge transmitter on the IOW which as we all know serves Hampshire, Dorset as well as the coast of Sussex. One would think in this age they could have a more selective transmission area. Alas, Sussex is not alone in with this problem. The mighty Yorkshire area is plagued by similar complaints. Live in Harrogate get your "local" news from Newcastle instead of Leeds or York.

probably a problem with hills. the old analogue transmissions wouuld radiate out in big circles covering a large geographical area (the start to old RKO films is a good enough example) and so tended to be situated on areas of high ground rather than plains - bit like windmills! . stick a transmitter on a hill and it covers a much wider area nand because it is higher up, it tends to attract less interfereance and annoys fewer people because of its situation.

Digital signals tend to travel in much narrower and straighter bands and are affected more by things like hills and structures which can affect them through reflection (slopes are particulalry not kind to digital signals)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What is BBC South's approach going to be to news coverage - does this also mean that someone living in, say, Worthing won't receive any regional news covering events in Brighton?

If their news service is going to cover Brighton, then it makes absolutely no sense not to provide sports coverage as well.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
What is BBC South's approach going to be to news coverage - does this also mean that someone living in, say, Worthing won't receive any regional news covering events in Brighton?

If their news service is going to cover Brighton, then it makes absolutely no sense not to provide sports coverage as well.

News will no longer feature Brighton & Hove this along with sport will be covered by BBC South East which covers East Sussex.

People living in Brighton & Hove and Shoreham will no longer have news of whats happening in West Sussex and in West Sussex we will not get any news or sport featuring Brighon & Hove.

The river Adur is the cut off point.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Can I suggest that on the first occasion that we find coverage of an Albion game is not featured all of us in West Sussex telephone or email to complain and that we go on doing so every day/week so until the situation changes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here