Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC South - We won't cover BHA next season!!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You can also complain online here:

BBC - Complaints - Complain Online

As I said in the other thread, there is surely an issue here regarding the BBC not fullfilling their licence requirement to provide regional news and sports coverage if they refuse to cover what, for many people, is their local football club.

It's also worth pointing out that Albion will probably be in the top ten clubs in the country in terms of season ticket sales at the beginning of next season, and a lot of these people live in the west of the county and will be directly affected by this - so we are not exactly talking about a small group of fans.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
might have something to do with French transmissions

Agincourt !!!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
BBC South have also tried to justify their decision not cover the Albion by stating as coverage is available from BBC SE it is not required to add to this.

Twice a year I have to spend a weekend in Glocestershire visiting the outlaws. News on Swindon Town is rightly covered on BBC Points West, so why the hell is it also covered on BBC South?

On the upside, the totty on BBC SE beats Sally Taylor anytime!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
You can also complain online here:

BBC - Complaints - Complain Online

As I said in the other thread, there is surely an issue here regarding the BBC not fullfilling their licence requirement to provide regional news and sports coverage if they refuse to cover what, for many people, is their local football club.

It's also worth pointing out that Albion will probably be in the top ten clubs in the country in terms of season ticket sales at the beginning of next season, and a lot of these people live in the west of the county and will be directly affected by this - so we are not exactly talking about a small group of fans.

Good points, full complaint submitted online.

If they get an avalanche of complaints about this daft decision, the least they can do is try to explain their skewed reasoning on this.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
But it's not just about re-tuning your telly if you want to get news about the Albion. If you live in West Sussex, it's about getting news about the county's football team alongside the rest of the news about the county you live in. The BBC have decided not to offer that service. Folk in places like Worthing will only be able to hear about the Albion if they tune to the same programme that will give them general news about the Medway towns, but not Worthing.

It's a disgrace.

Exactly! I would suggest there's probably more of a handful of people in Worthing, Littlehampton, Bognor, Horsham, etc etc that would like their regional news accompanied by their regional football team. But that would make too much sense for the BBC.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Did I imagine it or wasn't there a plan to launch a Brighton TV station a while ago?

Feb 14, 2010
The BBC are paid for by taxation and to not cover the Albion for half of its catchment area has to be looked at.

Perhaps this is the next BHA fans v someone. Fans United Will never be defeated and all that.

I also would have thought this will be resisted by the new Chief Executive at the Albion. If he complains / the club complains then that will have to be taken seriously.

Last thing the Albion wants is Mis Sussex, Worthing and West Sussex kids thinking Hampshire clubs are their local team because of some very odd decision by the BBC.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Perhaps they should just re-align their local stations down here and have seperate ones for Sussex, Hampshire and Kent instead of South and South East.

I live in Newhaven and my local news (although it covers the Albion) is almost exclusively stories from Kent, with the odd East Sussex bit lobbed in as an almost token gesture.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I live in East Preston and some of the tales that the beeb give us from various points around the 'south' are bizarre. One minute they'll give us updates on the cat in the tree in Oxfordshire ffs and the next minute they'll go to the weather cam on the Brighton centre. But in all this they will never report on BHAFC.

Disgusted of W Sussex

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
But it's not just about re-tuning your telly if you want to get news about the Albion. If you live in West Sussex, it's about getting news about the county's football team alongside the rest of the news about the county you live in. The BBC have decided not to offer that service. Folk in places like Worthing will only be able to hear about the Albion if they tune to the same programme that will give them general news about the Medway towns, but not Worthing.

It's a disgrace.

Absolutely.
We live near Chichester and think this is a dreadful decision!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
So that's another reason to watch BBC ticked off my list. Medway or Hants coverage, but nothing for us. Used to watch BBC Breakfast, but it's like some northern regional news programme now. Well that's fine. If they don't want viewers from the Brighton catchment area, I for one won't watch BBC.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Away from the Albion, say for example there was a serious 'incident' in Brighton, would South Today not cover it but South East would?!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Can anyone tell me how I get 'East Sussex By The Sea' on my Nokia?

pal4life

Sep 6, 2008
I was told that BBC south / BBCsoutheast cut off point was Littlehampton and as I live in Worthing I would receive southeast. I get south east on virgin and I can get both on freeveiw.

timsouch

Jul 15, 2011
BBC South have confirmed they will not cover us next season

:albion2:BBC South have confirmed they will not cover us next season. Viewers in West Sussex will be treated to Southampton, Bournemouth, Aldershot, Portsmouth and Oxford United coverage. This is because the majority of West Sussex are not interested in BHA, according to the BBC.

If you think this is a bad idea they would love to hear your feedback.

Call 02380 226201 and ask for Greg Clark.

No apologies if this is fixtures.

also put your comments on the south today facebook page and twitter account and emails them all details are on the south today web site and lets let the now we want the seagulls on the bbc south

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
:albion2:BBC South have confirmed they will not cover us next season. Viewers in West Sussex will be treated to Southampton, Bournemouth, Aldershot, Portsmouth and Oxford United coverage. This is because the majority of West Sussex are not interested in BHA, according to the BBC.

If you think this is a bad idea they would love to hear your feedback.

Call 02380 226201 and ask for Greg Clark.

No apologies if this is fixtures.

Can we JAMIE him ???? :jester:

Dandyman

In London village.

It's a disgrace.

What m'lud said. People should complain - the BBC is a public body that should serve the needs of the community. It clearly is failing to do so on this occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here