Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banner in support of No to Hull Tigers campaign ???

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Naff it may be but I can't see that the name change is a blow to the intrinsic fabric of the club. Not as much as Hull City Stripers would be. Or Hull Bengals.

Not an absolute disaster granted, but to me it is the owners attitude that starts to ring alarm bells. The hissy fits that it is his club so he can do what he wants ( to the ordinary life long supporter these people are mere custodians/guardians ), along with the threats that he will walk away if he does not get his own way ( spoilt brat, stamping their feet syndrome ), it also says to me that he sees this purely as a business and he has none or very little emotional attachment to the club ( I realise he has lived in Hull for some time ). He tells people that he has pumped millions into the club ( the estimates range but an average is £50 million, ) Ok so if he wants out he will almost definitely get a very attractive return on his investmestment. I am unsure what the going rate is but a Premiership mid table club will more than cover his outlay. Anyone that comes into football should do so for the love of the game and do their utmost to run a club on a secure footing for future generations of fans and not because they are looking for a quick buck. Look closely and you will see not many clubs make much money ( even with todays available revenues ). Those that look for a long term, stable business will survive and flourish.

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Sorry, why is singing your heart out something that can't be done when supporting another club's battle? We can have banners and support Hull's fight before the game at least. Then during the game you can have the atmosphere and banter.

Which is also exactly what the Hull fans do, they still 100% support the team during the match. At 19 minutes and 4 seconds, they do also start a loud rendition of "City til we Die" (and to the ones with the joke attitude, no - we dont need to sing along :facepalm:)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
you edited your post.. But thanks for thinking I'm a complete idiot. Just for having a different opinion to you. For the record, I don't think you're a complete idiot. everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Indeed they are, but unless your "thank god for fans like us" comment was tongue-in-cheek, which somehow I highly doubt, how can it be seen as anything other than idiotic? Read The Andy Naylor Fan Club's post above for a very succinct summary of why it does matter, and why football does need people who are prepared to stand up and be counted without worrying what a few fans with questionable machismo hang-up's think.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
nice sidestep. You made it personal and as I said you have done it more than once.

Personal or not is not the issue here. It's the fact you deal in negative generalities that don't often stand up to closer scrutiny.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Personal or not is not the issue here. It's the fact you deal in negative generalities that don't often stand up to closer scrutiny.

Well it is who I am now. As I said try not to judge people before you know why they are in the mindset they are.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cardiff fans were happy enough to wear their free red scarves when we played them. Three or four were thrown onto the pitch at the end of the game but that may have been because they lost.

Good luck to us when we need the help of other fans in the future.

They'll probably just give a collective shrug of the shoulders and say "what's it got to do with us?"

I guess we can then look at threads like this for the seeds of collective support being destroyed.

As for this hostile white hot atmosphere at the Hull tie mentioned by other posters. Trust me, the second the whistle blows I will hate Hull City FC and all the stand for and want us to tread them into the dust. When the full time whistle goes, I'll go back to seeing them as football fans and recognise the issues they face. Strange that. Guess it's called being an adult.

(last bit not aimed at you Thunder)

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Indeed they are, but unless your "thank god for fans like us" comment was tongue-in-cheek, which somehow I highly doubt, how can it be seen as anything other than idiotic? Read The Andy Naylor Fan Club's post above for a very succinct summary of why it does matter, and why football does need people who are prepared to stand up and be counted without worrying what a few fans with questionable machismo hang-up's think.

I have read it. It's an unfortunate change in football over the years but the chairman can do what he wants. And us displaying a banner is not going to change that one bit! If he doesn't listen to his own fans, he sure as hell won't listen to us.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Listen at our next home game. You'll hear the chant Albion go up. Imagine a Brighton Seagulls where this gradually disappeared. Erode you roots and you erode your connection with so much of your community.

What you mean like

Dolphins
The shrimps
Lugworms
The Promenaders
Limpets
Flounders

Yeah come in you Seagulls (but only circa 1970s)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have read it. It's an unfortunate change in football over the years but the chairman can do what he wants. And us displaying a banner is not going to change that one bit! If he doesn't listen to his own fans, he sure as hell won't listen to us.

The chairman can not do what he wants. If there is one thing you should know as an Albion fan, it's that.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

So in other words, do nothing then? The chairman can only do what he wants if everyone takes that attitude.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I heard John Prescott arguing against a Hull City Supporter about the name change on the radio recently.

Prescott claims that it's no big deal as they've always been known as the Tigers anyway. He cited incidents from his days on the terraces in support of the name change. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-25759559

He was also making the point that the owner has been in Hull a long time (not the club, only took over in 2010) and is "putting his money where his mouth is".

Personally, I think Prescott misses the point completely and I'm with Hamilton and the Hull City supporters on this one.

*I also note that Assem Allam fled Egypt when the great man Nasser took over. I tend not to trust anyone who flees to the West as soon as a left wing revolution comes along to free their country from tyrants at home and abroad.

* I know he didn't leave Egypt until 1968, 12 years after Nasser became president, and a full 16 years after the Nasser led coup, but this is a football forum and why spoil a good old debate with unnecessary facts.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well it is who I am now. As I said try not to judge people before you know why they are in the mindset they are.

I appreciate that people are in whatever mindset they are in for a plethora of reasons. As a fellow human being, I feel nothing other than compassion for that. At the same time, I find it hard to step over it when people say stuff that is counter-productive to others trying to effect positive change. In this case, yes, it can seem to be the 'truth' that the money men reign supreme in life, and in football. But unless the Hull City fans against the name change consider that something else is possible, that Vincent Tan is not insurmountable, no victory is possible.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I appreciate that people are in whatever mindset they are in for a plethora of reasons. As a fellow human being, I feel nothing other than compassion for that. At the same time, I find it hard to step over it when people say stuff that is counter-productive to others trying to effect positive change. In this case, yes, it can seem to be the 'truth' that the money men reign supreme in life, and in football. But unless the Hull City fans against the name change consider that something else is possible, that Vincent Tan is not insurmountable, no victory is possible.

That is fair enough and respect for that. Just felt the comment was unwarranted.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What you mean like

Dolphins
The shrimps
Lugworms
The Promenaders
Limpets
Flounders

Yeah come in you Seagulls (but only circa 1970s)

Got a problem with a nickname we've had for 35 years?

What about the Albion bit? Want to ditch that?

This is all about poor marketing tactics. He wants to build a global fan base - latest football marketing buzz phrase - when he hasn't yet built a Yorkshire fan base.

Closer home, let's look at the Palace Pier - renamed the Brighton Pier for marketing reasons, the argument being it would mean that tourists would know Brighton was famous for having a pier. Well that's really changed the fortunes of the town.

Your post is not strong enough. Prior to the seagulls, the previous nicknames were transient. Now we have a nickname that means something to the fans, was created by the fans and has a strong back story. It always makes me smile when the club lays claim to everything with 'seagulls' on it. It was created by the fans.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That is fair enough and respect for that. Just felt the comment was unwarranted.

Think you are reading to much into it mate. Mr Rapper doesn't come across as that sort of person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here