Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banner in support of No to Hull Tigers campaign ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will the Hull owner , Allam be putting Hull City on e-bay with a £100M buy it now price ? I understand he only wants to get back what he has put in as the loans he has made to the club are interest bearable.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
What I dont understand is why the FA are involved. If in any other business the owner wished to change the company name (Hull City FC Ltd is a company) with or without customer approval, no outside agency would be able to block it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What I dont understand is why the FA are involved. If in any other business the owner wished to change the company name (Hull City FC Ltd is a company) with or without customer approval, no outside agency would be able to block it.

Hence why they will appeal, and win their appeal, because the FA have no power.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Because the league has the 'rights' to the club names ( as they appear in the league tables ).

The club trading names for business purposes can be what they like I reckon.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Because the league has the 'rights' to the club names ( as they appear in the league tables ).

The club trading names for business purposes can be what they like I reckon.

So if the league decided they wanted us called Brighton Seagulls or rename another club Croydon Phoenix then we could not stop it and nor could Tony Bloom as the league decide what names they use on the league tables? Doesn't sound right to me.

But saying that the only times I can think of a club changing their name has been due to an upgrade from town to city (Swansea) or adding an area to the name and reverting back to a historical version (Leyton Orient) which both make common sense

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So if the league decided they wanted us called Brighton Seagulls or rename another club Croydon Phoenix then we could not stop it and nor could Tony Bloom as the league decide what names they use on the league tables? Doesn't sound right to me.

That's because it isn't right. The club's administration registers the name. Once that's approved, the FA doesn't change it unilaterally.

The FA Council has today rejected Hull City’s application to change their playing name to Hull Tigers.
The Council’s decision – carried by a 63.5% vote of its members – came after a recommendation from The FA’s Membership Committee.

The Council, which is made up of representatives from across football, fully considered the recommendation and the subsequent responses received from Hull City in reaching its decision.

About The FA Council
The FA Council’s powers are set out in the Articles of Association and its roles include regulating football matters such as disciplinary matters, referees and match and competition sanctioning.

The Council delegates a number of these matters to various committees, including the Membership Committee which considers the criteria for Full and Associate Member Club status, membership applications and removal of such status and matters relating to clubs’ financial records, names and constitutions.

Meeting regularly throughout the year, The FA Council represents all of English football and members are appointed from the Premier League, Football League, County FAs, affiliated leagues and associations, clubs, referees, supporters and inclusion bodies. All FA Board Members are also members of The FA Council.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
This is such a minor issue.

Does anyone really care?

Wish the FA had the same balls when the owners of Wimbledon decided to move the club to Milton Keynes.

THAT was a real disgrace.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst I am pleased that their renaming has been rejected, there are several precedents:
Still not sure how Wimbledon were allowed to uproot and rename themselves without penalty. Bournemouth & Boscombe changed to AFC Bournemouth. Leyton Orient changed to Orient and back again. As usual, there's no real logic to FA decisions.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whilst I am pleased that their renaming has been rejected, there are several precedents:
Still not sure how Wimbledon were allowed to uproot and rename themselves without penalty. Bournemouth & Boscombe changed to AFC Bournemouth. Leyton Orient changed to Orient and back again. As usual, there's no real logic to FA decisions.

That seems to imply that the FA shouldn't allow a name change.

Hull City's name change application was for financial and marketing purposes, and little to do with location or history. As their fans will tell you, the 'AFC' in Hull City AFC is something they're proud of, and sets them apart from Hull FC.

AFC Bournemouth is only a trading name. The club is still officially Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic.

Leyton Orient changed their name when the Borough of Leyton (as a political entity) ceased to exist, even though they were still in Leyton. They reverted in 1987.

The Wimbledon / MK Dons thing was, and still is, an utter farce.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Stevenage Borough changed to Stevenage in 2010.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here