Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aye Aye Ashley

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Should probably add the media reaction to this is making it so much bigger as well, its ridiculous how many people are being brainwashed. Just saw something on Twitter comparing what Barnes did to when ex-Arsenal striker Eduardo had his leg broken in a tackle - despite them being TOTALLY different.

I can only conclude there there are a lot of clueless and easily led people out there.

I compared it to the incident in our League cup match against Newport when Calde broke the leg of his opponent. It was very similar where the Newport player lunged in as Calde was kicking the ball. Calde got a red card, which was rescinded on appeal.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I compared it to the incident in our League cup match against Newport when Calde broke the leg of his opponent. It was very similar where the Newport player lunged in as Calde was kicking the ball. Calde got a red card, which was rescinded on appeal.

That is a fair comparison and the card was only really given as a result of the 50/50 challenge. Had Barnes have got a red here, its likely it my well have been rescinded as well.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Poor punditry, ref got it spot on, if MOTD had balls they'd apologise to Barnes next week. Saying it's a career threatening tackle is out of order. I also loved Matic making an instant recovery after the "horror tackle".

Now if Matic had any sense he would have done the classic and unforgettable Spanish Dave Roll.

Rolly, rolly, rolly, look round, grin, rolly, rolly.

That might have got Barnes (incorrectly) sent off. Matic jumping up like that showed that there had been no serious contact and he hadn't been hurt in the slightest. He should get an extra game ban for being an idiot.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Ironically this plays right into Mourinho's 'woe is us' rhetoric, he thrives on incidents like this.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

What happened with Calde is more similar to Whiteside on Ramsey in 83. Was Whiteside really the villain or was it just a footballing accident in a 50/50?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What happened with Calde is more similar to Whiteside on Ramsey in 83. Was Whiteside really the villain or was it just a fottballing accident in a 50/50?

Neither Barnes, nor Calde were 50/50 balls. Both Calde & Barnes were in possession of the ball, passing it to a team mate when the opposition player lunged in. There was nothing 50/50 about either incident.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Neither Barnes, nor Calde were 50/50 balls. Both Calde & Barnes were in possession of the ball, passing it to a team mate when the opposition player lunged in. There was nothing 50/50 about either incident.

Matic cut out the pass, effectively winning the ball. I believe it went out for a throwing to Burnley.

Ramsey lunged in two footed in 83, so I am just saying that maybe we should reevaluate whether Whiteside was really the villain we made him out to be.

ramsey.jpg

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I like this from Mourinho:

"What are the consequences of his push? Nothing. The consequence for Matic from the tackle? It could be the end of his career,"

Well, no Jose. There were no consequences from the tackle.

Honestly, I cannot see why people can't see through his posturing. Has anyone mentioned that his Chelsea, his top of the table, multi-million-pound assembled, supremely talented Chelsea failed to beat "little old Burnley"? No. Classic diversionary stuff that the Beeb and the like continue to peddle to stay on his good side.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The FA will be failing in their duty if they do not give Barnes a retrospective ban.

They'll be failing in their duty even more if they don't give Matic an extra match ban for an entirely frivolous appeal.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like this from Mourinho:

"What are the consequences of his push? Nothing. The consequence for Matic from the tackle? It could be the end of his career,"

Well, no Jose. There were no consequences from the tackle.

Honestly, I cannot see why people can't see through his posturing. Has anyone mentioned that his Chelsea, his top of the table, multi-million-pound assembled, supremely talented Chelsea failed to beat "little old Burnley"? No. Classic diversionary stuff that the Beeb and the like continue to peddle to stay on his good side.

And here it is, the crux of the whole matter.

Chelsea, with their endless riches and multi-million pound squad of international footballers, failed to beat a team who were amongst the favourites for relegation from the Championship at the start of the previous season. Jose Mourinho failed to tactically outsmart Sean Dyche and his army of journeymen. This whining re the Matic incident is nothing more than a massive smokescreen by Mourinho. I bet he didn't even know who Barnes was before that game, and yet somehow he has knowledge of Ash's ban for tripping a referee? That'll be one of the snivelling flunkies at SkySports tipping him off them.

I also believe this appeal against Matic's red card is part of the same charade. They have absolutely no grounds for appeal as far as I can tell. The decision to send him off is not based upon what's gone before, it's based on the fact that what Matic did constitutes violent conduct. There is no arguing whatsoever that he lost his rag and shoved Barnes over, ergo, it's a clear cut case of violent conduct.

I can only imagine Chelsea are appealing purely so that, once it's (inevitably) rejected, they can continue to perpetuate this myth that the authorities have some sort of witch-hunt against them. It also puts added pressure on referees officiating Chelsea games, which- of course- is exactly what Mourinho wants.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And here it is, the crux of the whole matter.

Chelsea, with their endless riches and multi-million pound squad of international footballers, failed to beat a team who were amongst the favourites for relegation from the Championship at the start of the previous season. Jose Mourinho failed to tactically outsmart Sean Dyche and his army of journeymen. This whining re the Matic incident is nothing more than a massive smokescreen by Mourinho. I bet he didn't even know who Barnes was before that game, and yet somehow he has knowledge of Ash's ban for tripping a referee? That'll be one of the snivelling flunkies at SkySports tipping him off them.

I also believe this appeal against Matic's red card is part of the same charade. They have absolutely no grounds for appeal as far as I can tell. The decision to send him off is not based upon what's gone before, it's based on the fact that what Matic did constitutes violent conduct. There is no arguing whatsoever that he lost his rag and shoved Barnes over, ergo, it's a clear cut case of violent conduct.

I can only imagine Chelsea are appealing purely so that, once it's (inevitably) rejected, they can continue to perpetuate this myth that the authorities have some sort of witch-hunt against them. It also puts added pressure on referees officiating Chelsea games, which- of course- is exactly what Mourinho wants.

Probably have to disagree with you there. I suspect that every team in the prem runs the rule over their opponents, identifying their strengths, weaknesses etc etc. The likes of Chelsea, Man City etc don't just turn up unprepared. That said, the appeal is definitely frivolous and Matic gave the ref no option. Mourinho has been complaining about refs and some of the decisions all season and it hasn't had an effect on them yet so don't think it will for the rest of the season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If it was as hard as you describe, how did Matic jump up, run at Barnes & then push him over? He would have been in too much pain even with shin pads.

Because he was very, very lucky. Trust me that hurt him a lot - doesn't mean he can't run straight after - don't be fooled by all footballers reactions! Fair play to Matic for not play acting ;)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I like the use of 'transferred his weight' and 'split second' and 'challenge' by Sheebo.

Not contradictory at all and your original post wasn't patronising towards folk who may or may not have played football.

And Matic didn't have his leg broken in two because Barnes 'transferred his weight' in a 'split second' to make a 'challenge'.

Never played football then :wave:

Jesus I even said it wasn't meant to sound patronising - give me a break mate! (Not a break like that poor challenge could have easily done to Matic's leg btw :lol: )

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think that's complete guesswork. In the real time video it's so fast it's impossible to judge what Barnes is thinking after Matic slid in. You can't use slow-mo to work out what Barnes is thinking either.

Barnes passed the ball. He would have suddenly become aware he was on the receiving end of a challenge, and his natural reaction may have been to brace himself (that too is just guessing). His straightish leg is just his natural follow through, and he went on to bend his right leg as he went through Matic - I'd think he'd have kept it straight if he wanted to cause harm. I don't think there's anyway one can be confident that he was trying to harm Matic.

Where was his weight supposed to go? Had Matic not slid in, Barnes would have landed on his right leg, so that's where he expected his weight to go. When he then felt a challenge coming in, he could have relaxed and risked injury to himself, or stayed strong. It's possible he left one on his opponent on purpose, but I don't think anyone can be sure about that.

What shows that he wouldn't? The still of Ash making a pass (post #148) shows how Ash would follow through even when not being challenged.

I value your points mate and the only reason I really do think I'm right is cos ive seen challenged like that a lot of times (not quite as bad) and it's difficult to explain but I can just tell what he's done there from years of playing football. But hey it's all about opinions...
My point re his weight - it should be going predominantly down (ie on his foot and down into the turf on his left foot but he goes through the player when he could stop. There would still be contact but nowhere near as bad. Tbh I'm finding it very hard to explain what I mean in words! I've just seen the little tactics like that a thousand times and I believe I'm correct!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I like the use of 'transferred his weight' and 'split second' and 'challenge' by Sheebo.

Not contradictory at all and your original post wasn't patronising towards folk who may or may not have played football.

And Matic didn't have his leg broken in two because Barnes 'transferred his weight' in a 'split second' to make a 'challenge'.

Never played football then :wave:

Jesus I even said it wasn't meant to sound patronising - give me a break mate! (Not a break like that poor challenge could have easily done to Matic's leg btw :lol: )

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wasn't even mistimed, he got the ball. Nothing deliberate from Ashley either.

What was deliberate was him jumping up for balls and leading with his knees. I think he got all of Chelsea's back four with that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e852UDSWgTk

Because he was very, very lucky. Trust me that hurt him a lot - doesn't mean he can't run straight after - don't be fooled by all footballers reactions! Fair play to Matic for not play acting ;)

Not play acting? He rolled over twice before springing to his feet like a young gazelle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here