Aye Aye Ashley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I watched MoTD last night and was 'interested' to hear Savage banging on about the first penalty appeal. He claimed that his hands were in the way and he could have moved them out of the way, he'd 'made himself big' and that it was a nailed on penalty. This is the same guy who said exactly the opposite about a very similar situation during the Arsenal game against us. Double standards? Siding with the big boys? Between him and Shearer, it was a completely one-sided assessment of the game and smacks of jumping on the bandwagon, instead of a balanced assessment.

SD makes some very good points, and noticed the same as I did, that the ball hit his thigh before his hand. Yes, it's his team and he's defending them, but even so, I thought he came across very well. I've not seen the Jose appearance on Goals on Sunday, but there are a few images flying around commenting about how his team aren't exactly angelic, and then there is also this (apologies if fixtures)... http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/24/jose-mourinho-arsenal-chelsea-arsene-wenger

Makes you think...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sorry if I'm boring anyone by bringing this to the top again and you can tell me to buzz off (I'm posting this first obviously :wink:).

Here's how you conduct yourself Jose Mourwhingeo............

Great stuff from Dyche.

Barnes will undoubtedly be cast as the villain due to the media ignorance on Saturday night, I wonder if he'll become a target for zealous referees and 'hard man' centre halves now. Not that Ashley will mind that!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I watched MoTD last night and was 'interested' to hear Savage banging on about the first penalty appeal. He claimed that his hands were in the way and he could have moved them out of the way, he'd 'made himself big' and that it was a nailed on penalty. This is the same guy who said exactly the opposite about a very similar situation during the Arsenal game against us. Double standards? Siding with the big boys? Between him and Shearer, it was a completely one-sided assessment of the game and smacks of jumping on the bandwagon, instead of a balanced assessment.

SD makes some very good points, and noticed the same as I did, that the ball hit his thigh before his hand. Yes, it's his team and he's defending them, but even so, I thought he came across very well. I've not seen the Jose appearance on Goals on Sunday, but there are a few images flying around commenting about how his team aren't exactly angelic, and then there is also this (apologies if fixtures)... http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/24/jose-mourinho-arsenal-chelsea-arsene-wenger

Makes you think...

But we all know that Savage is a tw4t and Shearer got Newcastle relegated.

However I think most people have a lot of respect for Lineker?

All this posturing and moaning that Jose has come out with afterwards is irrelevant, but this is now also being used as if it was integral to the split second incident. Savage, Shearer and Jose has no bearing on personal opinion on what happed and it is daft that they are even being used in this debate.

All those other incidents relating to Chelsea’s dangerous play on the pitch only shows they aren't exactly angelic, and have got away with a lot themselves.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I appreciate that Digger polarises opinions but in my view

1: Mourinho is a master at switching the attention away from a relatively poor performance by his team by turning the focus to the referee or an opponent. Ferguson was the same.
2: If Matic really had come close to having his leg broken, or had indeed been seriously injured, how come he was up off the ground in about 0.00003 seconds after he slid into Barnes?
3: After listening to him a few times this season, I think Sean Dyche is my favourite ginger of all time,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The thing is, Ash could have fallen awkwardly as a result of that push and he, HIMSELF, therefore suffered a career-threatening injury. I bet no-one has thought of THAT :moo:

I'm afraid it's just another example of things being blown out of proportion, by all concerned, especially the media. The PL is all a bit pantomime nowadays you have summers of non-stories about players leaving or not leaving clubs, just to fill air time and column inches. Then during the season, you get teams that are amazing one week, to relegation fodder the next. Liverpool, for example, were being considered in a relegation battle a while back, and now they are the form team and the tip of many of the 'experts' to get fourth place!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

1: Mourinho is a master at switching the attention away from a relatively poor performance by his team by turning the focus to the referee or an opponent. Ferguson was the same.
2: If Matic really had come close to having his leg broken, or had indeed been seriously injured, how come he was up off the ground in about 0.00003 seconds after he slid into Barnes?
3: After listening to him a few times this season, I think Sean Dyche is my favourite ginger of all time,

It's irrelevant what Mourinho does or doesn't say and, despite his measured comments, it isn't about what Dyche says either. It doesn't matter whether Matic was injured or not. It is about whether the follow through from Barnes was or wasn't with some intent.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's irrelevant what Mourinho does or doesn't say and, despite his measured comments, it isn't about what Dyche says either. It doesn't matter whether Matic was injured or not. It is about whether the follow through from Barnes was or wasn't with some intent.

Which is something neither you or I know

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

If that had happened to one of our players this thread would read differently, and knowing March's luck he would have had his leg broken in three if it happened to him.

Jan 10, 2014
5lwfw4.jpg

image.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If that had happened to one of our players this thread would read differently, and knowing March's luck he would have had his leg broken in three if it happened to him.

As I pointed out, Calderon did break the Newport player's leg in almost exactly the same way. It ended his career. That's why I don't think Barnes had any intent, because Matic wasn't injured. If Barnes had meant it, Matic would have been badly injured.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As I pointed out, Calderon did break the Newport player's leg in almost exactly the same way. It ended his career. That's why I don't think Barnes had any intent, because Matic wasn't injured. If Barnes had meant it, Matic would have been badly injured.

Of course no player goes out on the pitch to deliberately seriously harm another, but they are often told by their manager to go in strong and make sure the opposition knows they are there. Leaving something on them is a common practice and Barnes isn’t anymore immune from this than any other player.

Listening to Virgo last night, he said it was deserving of a yellow. Which to me sounds like it could be considered that he went in too strong. I think that Barnes was lucky that he reached the ball a split second before it reached Matic who ultimately won the ball anyway.

Many have thought the first incident deserved a yellow, so if the last one did as well, and they had both been given, he would have been off.

Just for your info, I have always supported Barnes on here, so without any bias, or Barnes bashing, I am just saying it as I see it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Many have thought the first incident deserved a yellow, so if the last one did as well, and they had both been given, he would have been off
But if he'd been given a yellow for the first, he's more likely to have been more cautious later in the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports