Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aye Aye Ashley

Yoda

English & European
In that case then you will see that Barnes has followed through after the kick and kept his leg straight and eyes on the player - only 1 outcome was he looking for there, naturally the action he undertook would not even have a full outstretched leg especially one which remained locked at the knee

If you look at the 3rd post before this post I've quoted, you will see a still of Barnes attempting to pass the ball to the Burnley player his eyes were looking at. Not Matic.

As for this full weight argument other are having, there is no weight from Barnes on Matic, until Matic has taken Barnes' standing foot out from under him.

Yoda

English & European
I have seen all the images and it is impossible to say that it was not intentional as well.

My point is, and I know no one is really reading what I have been writing, that it is his response afterwards, like turning around and fleeing, whilst every other player is looking at Matic. Had he stayed on the scene to see if Matic was ok it would have looked like an accident.

Err, no they're not, they are carrying on with the game. Even Willian, who was looking straight at the incident, goes running off after the ball. No one is at all concerned until Matic is back up on his feet running after Barnes.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
hmmm i think that Barnes' body language after the tackle would indicate some amount of guilt.....he is a liability , let's face it...!! if Matic stayed down rather than carrying on like a tart the ref may have acted differently.........on the face of it , it doesn't look all that special from Barnes but happened very quick ....???

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think some people are just a bit blinded by their loyalty for Brighton or dislike for Chelsea, or are just idiots. A lot of football fans. Don't worry about it.

Needless to say, Ashley Barnes didn't mean it - but not to say that it didn't warrant a punishment. Accidents break legs too, right? Especially those that have 2 feet off the ground half way up someones leg while looking in the other direction. It was just over enthusiastic - he'd had a good game and he's a physical pest, one of the reasons I really liked Barnes, but you can't go in like that and expect it to not be debated or go unpunished.

From what I've seen of Matic he's looks a pretty classy character (though that's not a lot and I'm willing to stand corrected). Anyone with their priorities in the right place would have reacted the same. Didn't roll about the floor milking it did he?

Jan 10, 2014
The FA aren't going to take any action - official.

Well they weren't going to ban someone for passing the ball were they.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Chelsea are whining, and no doubt serial whiner and referee abuser Jose Mourinho will act like a victim. For me, both players went for the ball, but Barnes was later and it could have been serious, at most it was a yellow card and that is the only mistake the referee made, but because this was Chelsea, Mourinho and their idiotic fans think that the whole world is against them and moan and whine when nothing goes their way, making a mountain out of a molehill.

It does bring up the retrospective rules again though, as a referee myself, we make mistakes and we dont get a 2nd view at incidents like the armchair brigade at home watching Sky, so the FA should be able to make a decision, potentially at a review after the game with the match official, to take retrospective action in case anything is missed. The only other alternative would see it shift towards what happens in the NFL with reviews and challenges, which take up a lot of time.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Chelsea are whining, and no doubt serial whiner and referee abuser Jose Mourinho will act like a victim. For me, both players went for the ball, but Barnes was later and it could have been serious, at most it was a yellow card and that is the only mistake the referee made, but because this was Chelsea, Mourinho and their idiotic fans think that the whole world is against them and moan and whine when nothing goes their way, making a mountain out of a molehill.

It does bring up the retrospective rules again though, as a referee myself, we make mistakes and we dont get a 2nd view at incidents like the armchair brigade at home watching Sky, so the FA should be able to make a decision, potentially at a review after the game with the match official, to take retrospective action in case anything is missed. The only other alternative would see it shift towards what happens in the NFL with reviews and challenges, which take up a lot of time.

Agree, and any players who are found to have cheated the ref should serve an automatic ban.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Barnes already had the ball when Matic lunged in. The referee didn't make a mistake.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Barnes already had the ball when Matic lunged in. The referee didn't make a mistake.

True, though it was going slightly careless from Barnes, at most a yellow card. The reaction from Matic however made things worse, so that is a deserved red card and no doubt Chelsea will whine again when the appeal gets rejected.

Jan 10, 2014
The best thing about this thread for me, is that a few posters changed their minds on the incident when they saw the context of the pass and coming together.

They are my favourite internet people.

i39w7t.jpg

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Should probably add the media reaction to this is making it so much bigger as well, its ridiculous how many people are being brainwashed. Just saw something on Twitter comparing what Barnes did to when ex-Arsenal striker Eduardo had his leg broken in a tackle - despite them being TOTALLY different.

I can only conclude there there are a lot of clueless and easily led people out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here