Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away tickets - name checks - including 1901

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It goes to all STH tomorrow. The closed shop is in tickets for the high demand games. By earning points for unattended games people preserve their right to tickets at the London and other big games. This has been explained so many times and is never answered.

realistically how many people who are already in the higher tiers don't go to games they have tickets for. I think this is massively overstated. But carry on, because you will.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
realistically how many people who are already in the higher tiers don't go to games they have tickets for. I think this is massively overstated. But carry on, because you will.
I’m repeating what the club say they know is happening. I’m thinking they are a better source than you are. Anyway, the club have solved the problem so all is good.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’m repeating what the club say they know is happening. I’m thinking they are a better source than you are. Anyway, the club have solved the problem so all is good.
This is what it reads on the ticket page for Wolves tickets.

Points allocated for this fixture*: 10
*will be credited 7 days after the match based on attendance data from the away club

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I went to about 15 away games last season including cups. My iD wasn't checked apart from Palace and Leeds where the police dog sniffer detected something and i was pulled out of the queue. (there wasn't anything). Not sure the extra checks etc are too much of a ballache - but then i get to games early anyway.

That said - the club should make tickets far more flexible if you give enough notice , can't make it and want to get a refund. Ridiculous that tickets are going unused because of illness, strikes, change of circumstance. (i know the club sometimes do this but its limited, ad hoc and on a case by case basis)
In an ideal world you should be able to transfer your ticket to someone else (only if they are in the same ££ bracket and Tier) if you so wish - if circumstances dictate original person can't make it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You got that bit right.
You say that but this thread was posted by somebody who doesn’t like the new rules. I have never started a thread on the subject but if people are going to keep arguing for a return of their rights to pass on their tickets to the people they choose then I am going to keep arguing against that and in favour of those tickets going to the next people in the queue. You’re a moderator aren’t you ? That’s how the forum you moderate works.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

*will be credited 7 days after the match based on attendance data from the away club
Great. So combined with the fact that there are significant penalties for passing on tickets and random checks to ensure compliance we shouldn’t have a problem any more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Speaking anecdotally, before the change it felt like for most away games someone I know would be asking in WhatsApp groups etc if anyone wasn't going, as they had a mate who would like to come along. Nearly always someone would put their hand up and a ticket was bought for the mate. I can't believe the various groups I am in are unique in that regard.

Since the name check change, that has completely died out as no-one wants to take the risk of being caught.

The changes made only disadvantages tier-jumpers. It gives everyone the chance they deserve to buy a ticket for any given game. It gives those with low priority a greater opportunity to work their way up through the priority tiers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

After Bournemouth-Harvesting-Gate the club announced that wherever possible data would be taken from host club's entrance systems and points only credited to those who had attended a fixture.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Speaking anecdotally, before the change it felt like for most away games someone I know would be asking in WhatsApp groups etc if anyone wasn't going, as they had a mate who would like to come along. Nearly always someone would put their hand up and a ticket was bought for the mate. I can't believe the various groups I am in are unique in that regard.
I agree with this. It definitely did happen a lot. However I personally don't think there was many buying with no intention of going. The tickets are normally sold so far ahead of the game that things change. We typically buy for 5 of us, occasionally one of us couldn't go so yes we offered to another Brighton fan we knew if that happened. We don't now. I guess the big question is are we still buying all 5 tickets or trying to make sure we can all go first. I guess you're right that we are probably being more cautious about just buying them regardless now, so that probably is helping those lower down the tiers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree with this. It definitely did happen a lot. However I personally don't think there was many buying with no intention of going. The tickets are normally sold so far ahead of the game that things change. We typically buy for 5 of us, occasionally one of us couldn't go so yes we offered to another Brighton fan we knew if that happened. We don't now. I guess the big question is are we still buying all 5 tickets or trying to make sure we can all go first. I guess you're right that we are probably being more cautious about just buying them regardless now, so that probably is helping those lower down the tiers.
I think you're conflating two different things...

1. Giving all fans the chance to buy a ticket at their appropriate time.
2. How to deal with the situation when legitimately bought tickets are no longer required.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure I agree. I'm aware of plenty of T1/T2 STHs who would buy a ticket for every away game, safe in the knowledge they could offload it to someone and keep the points. The checks have pretty much killed that off which is a good thing.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We seem to be going over old ground on the names on tickets.

I just wonder what everyone's experience has been since names on tickets was introduced.

My experience has been

Brentford had to collect ticket and show ID
Middlesbrough and Arsenal had to collect tickets due to postal issues,
Wolves had to show ID
Palace had to show ID along with everyone else

So not really a huge problem.
Charlton - absolute shit show, ruined pre match build up, as 1) heard online there was problems so left my group an hour earlier 2) didn’t get in until after KO

Think to be fair it was more Charlton / Royal Mail strike being the issue rather than the names on ticket process though

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think you're conflating two different things...

1. Giving all fans the chance to buy a ticket at their appropriate time.
2. How to deal with the situation when legitimately bought tickets are no longer required.
I think 1) is pretty much dealt with now and the club have a well communicated process in place and Tony's points system mostly works well. ( @Bozza 's point yesterday about adopting Liverpool's transparency re: ticket allocation would be a great addition. However still some edge cases where what seems reasonable to most - is not according to the club - and the sanctions are in certain cases extremely draconian. (eg: 10 match bans - no mitigation) . The asking some to show up at ticket offices in advance of games still feels heavy handed to me/not a great customer experience to say the least - however effective or minimal but perhaps thats the easiest way to enforce this.
2) This is poor. Club have no clear fair system in place. - they argue i think because paper ticketing makes it expensive/process heavy - but nonetheless - a real gap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2) This is poor. Club have no clear fair system in place. - they argue i think because paper ticketing makes it expensive/process heavy - but nonetheless - a real gap.
This will be resolved with digital ticketing but it needs all clubs to be on board. Maybe someone should ask Barber to raise this as the next EPL shareholders meeting.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
However I personally don't think there was many buying with no intention of going. The tickets are normally sold so far ahead of the game that things change.
I think that's fair and what was happening in the vast majority of cases. A group of 6, or whatever, all got tickets on day 1, knowing that if they couldn't go themselves they could sell on to a mate, or a mate of a mate.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Actually I think that’s likely a good summary of what’s changed in a lot of cases. Before the new rules it was an easy decision to buy a ticket even if plans weren’t definite. Maybe the ticket buyer went, maybe not and if the latter then the ticket could be passed on. Some were sold on and others given but either way the ticket holder accumulated the loyalty points. Now the passing on is penalized so people think carefully at the point of purchase about how many tickets they actually want to use. I guess people could still buy tickets and leave them unused and still keep their points tally up but far fewer would be prepared to waste money in this way and as the club has attendance data it could bring in rules to deter this if it chooses.
I think one reason this debate runs and runs is that people get quite defensive about their own motivations and like to generalize about those of other people. There are people who gamed the system pretty unashamedly and there were others who benefitted from a loophole but perhaps didn’t like to admit their actions impacted on people lower down the tiers.

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
I got my first season ticket last season, having not been able to live near Brighton for most of my life due to dad's work and uni. I took 30 points from my few away endeavors in the 21/22 season and started going to whatever games I could. I've taken 160 points in this season with the very modest 50 point boost for 1 year of ST renewal. I'll likely hit 300+ by the end of the season given I went from 30 to 220 last season, which means getting into the priority tiers after just 2 years. This wouldn't be possible if everyone continued to tier jump to get tickets which would then lock off certain games to all STHs.

I hope this is better enforced next season because I didn't have my ID checked once and I imagine others are similar, meaning that fear factor will disappear and tier jumping will happen again.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I also don't know how it is going to work practically either. At the moment if you want to buy a ticket for someone other than the named account you have assign them via friends and family which works as intended and quite well IMO. Are 1901ers now going to have a textbox to fill in each time they buy an away ticket? Guess we'll find out tomorrow when Wolves goes on sale.
To answer my own question....completely pointless!

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.15.09.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here