Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away tickets - name checks - including 1901

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Supporters are reminded of the rules regarding the distribution of away match tickets.

Tickets that supporters purchase for away matches are for the sole use of the assigned owner.

For the 23/24 season, 1901 members must provide an assigned owner to any away tickets they purchase. This requires a first name and surname to be provided at the time of booking and this name may not be changed after the sale has been completed.

It has come to our attention this season that away tickets are increasingly being passed on to other supporters who are ineligible to purchase.

This results in supporters who are not attending games gaining loyalty points and legitimate attendees being blocked from buying.

There have been a number of arrests and ejections of supporters whose details do not match the ticket owner’s details.

We are therefore advising all supporters that in line with our terms and conditions that there will be ad-hoc ID checks. Away tickets will have names written on them and some tickets will at random be retained and held for collection at away grounds with matching photo ID required for entry.

Any supporter found to be passing on away tickets will be subject to a ten-home match ban, during that time the excluded supporter will not be able to purchase away tickets and a 50-point loyalty point deduction will be made.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Presumably 1901 members will need to submit a list of these names and details to the club. Otherwise it would be meaningless.

"For the 23/24 season, 1901 members must provide an assigned owner to any away tickets they purchase. This requires a first name and surname to be provided at the time of booking and this name may not be changed after the sale has been completed."

That seems pretty clear - they provide the full name when the ticket is purchased, it is written on the ticket, and can be adhoc ID checked or withheld for collection.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"For the 23/24 season, 1901 members must provide an assigned owner to any away tickets they purchase. This requires a first name and surname to be provided at the time of booking and this name may not be changed after the sale has been completed."

That seems pretty clear - they provide the full name when the ticket is purchased, it is written on the ticket, and can be adhoc ID checked or withheld for collection.
I’m not sure that is clear. A name on its own is not comparable data to that given by ordinary STH and members who also give contact details and have a fan number. I find it difficult to believe that a 1901er can simply assign an away ticket to any name with no other details. How does that help the club in dealing with fans ejected from the ground ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I’m not sure that is clear. A name on its own is not comparable data to that given by ordinary STH and members who also give contact details and have a fan number. I find it difficult to believe that a 1901er can simply assign an away ticket to any name with no other details. How does that help the club in dealing with fans ejected from the ground ?
That's what it sounds like from the email that was sent out earlier. Which as you say is totally pointless.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's what it sounds like from the email that was sent out earlier. Which as you say is totally pointless.
It also undermines the stated aim of fair access to tickets via the LP scheme. It comes across as tokenism designed to park the complaint about 1901ers having away ticket distribution rights denied to other fans. Badly thought out idea but thanks to the OP for highlighting.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It also undermines the stated aim of fair access to tickets via the LP scheme. It comes across as tokenism designed to park the complaint about 1901ers having away ticket distribution rights denied to other fans. Badly thought out idea but thanks to the OP for highlighting.
I also don't know how it is going to work practically either. At the moment if you want to buy a ticket for someone other than the named account you have assign them via friends and family which works as intended and quite well IMO. Are 1901ers now going to have a textbox to fill in each time they buy an away ticket? Guess we'll find out tomorrow when Wolves goes on sale.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m a 1901 member and we go to all the games anyway, so with our membership number we effectively already have our seats allocated.

Going to Wolves so interested to see how this plays out.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I forgive NSC posters using the term "loyalty points", but the club should know better than to implicitly judge how "loyal" fans are.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If the club wants to be fair i.e. reward those fans with most loyalty points then maybe its time to treat all the fans the same , you buy a ticket for yourself (or a group of people who have the points and are going) and not leave 1901 with an advantage to pass tickets on to people without the points.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What are the chances of being asked to produce proof that your name matches the name on the ticket??

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What are the chances of being asked to produce proof that your name matches the name on the ticket??
They hold back (ie don't post) between 100-200 tickets which have to be collected at the away ground by the fan named in the purchase, who needs to present photo ID.

I think they also do `occasional ID spot checks on other fans attending.

I'm not sure many would take the risk of missing half a season of football by passing on an away ticket.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
We’ve disagreed on this issue before, but you are spot on here.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not ideal but it is a step in the right direction. If that 'guest' gets id checked at the away game, if the photo id doesn't match the name on the ticket they ain't getting in. That's going to be mighty embarrassing if they are a 'corporate' client of the 1901 member.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Makes getting European away tickets for a plus one slightly more difficult now, with the 3 away games I’ve agreed to go with 3 different people (1 has an Albion+ account, the other 2 don’t) 🤷🏻‍♂️

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Do any others clubs do all this?
I remember talking to some west ham fans on the train last season and they are free to just pass tickets around without a care.
It does seem drastic the lengths we go to but I suppose it's all or nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here