Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away tickets - name checks - including 1901

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Would you be able to ring the club, say the day before if a named person can’t make it and change the details to someone else?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree with that and understand the issues of doing it, just think as a result the current policy is a sledgehammer to crack a nut with the negatives outweighing the benefits. I suspect it was targeted at a certain group who were also acting like idiots at games.

If I was to highlight a real problem at away games it would be drug taking, not this. Anyone else seen the regular queue by 16-20 year olds for cubicles in the gents when there are plenty of urinals free. They either all have stomach issues, are shy or they are taking drugs. I know what my money is on.
The negatives for you outweigh the positives. That does not mean it’s the same for everyone or that the club should not defend the integrity of the LP scheme, which is intended to reward attendance at matches. The checks you disapprove of are the only way of making sure people at the top of the points ladder aren’t just buying tickets to retain their position at the expense of other fans. It’s the same rules for everybody so you aren’t losing out unless you were previously benefiting from the ability to act as an unofficial ticket exchange.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many 1901 members are buying up all these tickets and then passing them on to people? I think this change is in response to the previous criticism that 1901 members could buy tickets and pass them to anyone they liked, as was vented by many people when the "names on away tickets" started. The club has now taken action to stop this.

As has been said many times, who is going to risk a half a season ban by giving an away ticket to a twat, or a tout? In my experience, there are many 1901 members who regularly go to away games, because that is what fans do, there are many fans in 1901, possibly more than there are 'corporate', much to the club's dislike.

Are those with a stack of corporate tickets really buying (batches of) away tickets? Wouldn't have thought so unless they are going to the games, and again, they are not going to risk the embarrassment of passing tickets to twats and getting their company name banned.

Then again, there are some idiots out there.
Couldn’t agree more

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m a 1901 member and we go to all the games anyway, so with our membership number we effectively already have our seats allocated.

Going to Wolves so interested to see how this plays out.
Got the tickets, but all a bit of a balls ache, as had to enter names and then the fields kept showing as incomplete and I couldn’t proceed.

Club had to put them through in the end.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree with that and understand the issues of doing it, just think as a result the current policy is a sledgehammer to crack a nut with the negatives outweighing the benefits. I suspect it was targeted at a certain group who were also acting like idiots at games.

If I was to highlight a real problem at away games it would be drug taking, not this. Anyone else seen the regular queue by 16-20 year olds for cubicles in the gents when there are plenty of urinals free. They either all have stomach issues, are shy or they are taking drugs. I know what my money is on.
The main issue wasn’t the harvesting though (though that was also considered) - the main issue was that every person ejected/charged with an offence at an away game prior to the ID/random checks being introduced was someone other than the person who bought the ticket. Would be interesting to see comparable data since the checks were put in place

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We appear to have a massive administrative pain in the arse for the club, what can be a massive pain in the arse for fans having to take photo ID and arrive early at stadiums will testify in respect of a club that doesn’t sell out all of its away allocations., and a policy that results in more empty seats

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We seem to be going over old ground on the names on tickets.

I just wonder what everyone's experience has been since names on tickets was introduced.

My experience has been

Brentford had to collect ticket and show ID
Middlesbrough and Arsenal had to collect tickets due to postal issues,
Wolves had to show ID
Palace had to show ID along with everyone else

So not really a huge problem.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I just wonder what everyone's experience has been since names on tickets was introduced.

My experience has been

Wolves had to show ID

Didn't have to show ID at any of the games I went to last season.
Had to collect my ticket at Arsenal in the league Cup for entirely different reasons and that was a complete farce (partly my fault for leaving it too late, partly Brighton's fault for giving completely incorrect advice when I rang over the phone, and partly Arsenal's for eventually giving me a ticket with no QR or barcode on it).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We appear to have a massive administrative pain in the arse for the club, what can be a massive pain in the arse for fans having to take photo ID and arrive early at stadiums will testify in respect of a club that doesn’t sell out all of its away allocations., and a policy that results in more empty seats
The club have not complained about ‘a massive administrative pain in the arse.’ Photo ID you just keep in your wallet. Arriving early at stadiums is pretty standard at away games. Not much point in traveling across the country and not planning for unexpected delays/queues. Whether or not away allocations are sold out this season is unknown but there is plenty of speculation about higher demand. In any case that isn’t really the point. Fans accumulating LP but not attending games and thereby retaining priority buying status for tickets to the high demand/sold out games is the point. There is plenty of evidence this was happening from details given by fans ejected from stadiums and from tickets on sale on Twitter. I am struggling to see why you are ignoring all of this because occasionally you can’t make a game and are unable to pass your ticket on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My experience has been

Wolves had to show ID

Got Barbered and had to collect once (Leicester). Made no difference to my day.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Newcastle away was asked for id while had my ticket out at at turnstile (whilst throwing bottle lid away of my coke) the Albion steward knew me and said ah don’t bother

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees, either inside or outside the club.

The problem is the logistics of that when the majority of away tickets are still physical.

The original purchaser would need to get the ticket back to the club in good time to facilitate a sale and redistribution. Given our shonky postal system, that's actually quite a long period of time to do so with confidence.

It's not possible, as it stands, for the club to simply cancel the ticket already in circulation and issue another one to a new buyer, as they don't have another ticket in hand to do that with. They are provided with a set of pre-printed, specifically-numbered ticketing stock from the host club.

When e-ticketing comes into play across the board, as it surely will in the near future, then I would fully expect an away ticket exchange to come into force. Until that time, I don't think it's reasonable to expect one.
I don't think the original person needs to get the ticket physically back, they just have to confirm its for resale and a ticket would be reprinted for the new purchaser much the same if I was travelling to a game and then discovered that I had left my ticket at home.

Yes a bit of fiddling around by the club that's also known as customer care.

If the 'original' ticket can't be cancelled and was re-used then it would be clear who was using it.

To be honest I don't know how many late cancellations there are but the club must have numbers on how many away tickets it sold and how many were scanned.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do concur with this. But just not sure why they weren't just banned. See my post above about drug taking. Seems like this is being completed ignored.

Ignored by whom? The Albion do not police nor control concourses at away grounds - it's up to the host club to do that.

The Albion can't ban people who have not been caught, kicked out, arrested nor convicted, but they certainly will act when people have been positively identified and up to no good.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's a bit of an exageration. We had to collect tickets at Man City and had ID checked at Palace. That was it. I suspect most fans travelling, don't time it to arrive 5 minutes before kick off so no great hardship collecting tickets. The obvious blip was Charlton but that wasn't due to the clubs policy.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting to note that the Wolves tickets have now gone to all season ticket holders and still 400+ left. Closed shop?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Interesting to note that the Wolves tickets have now gone to all season ticket holders and still 400+ left. Closed shop?
It goes to all STH tomorrow. The closed shop is in tickets for the high demand games. By earning points for unattended games people preserve their right to tickets at the London and other big games. This has been explained so many times and is never answered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here