Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere at the Amex comfortably the worst in the league

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not unique to the Amex, modern sanitised football, becoming more like the theatre each year at pretty much every Premier League ground.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s just that desperation to applaud anything that has crept into our support.

How can applauding SD and singing songs of SD adulation during the match help us win?
It’s very simple, they get an acknowledgment back with a wave and thumbsup and feel all fuzzy inside.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
The NS was brilliant in the main, WSU even started a chant and I saw the ESL south end go ape shit at a refereeing blunder :lolol: .

We’re fine.

It’s not unique to NSC, I’ve seen this atmosphere silly over-analysis on other clubs fora, some people have a falsely nostalgic impression of days past. Old Division 1 and 2 matches shown on Freeview reveal dead quiet 40,000’s in the 70’s and 80’s.
Definitely. Everyone thinks someone else is doing it better.

Thought the ref helped and it became positive/toxic in the right way at some points 70+ minutes onwards due to combined fury.

I've been to goodison, anfield, old Trafford, St James, Selhurst and sat in virtual silence in all of them at one point or another.

I also think the nature of dezerbi-ball (sorry) can kill things a bit. It's not a criticism of it, but we came out flying and were really in their faces and then the training ground routines kicked in and we went to Dunk rolling it under his studs with his hands on his hips and playing square passes to Webster over and over again. This tends to happen in matches where we want to use that ta tic and the oppo squarely refuse to go for it. They just sat in a tight bank and waited. Its happened before and will happen again. Not sure we have quite cultivated a plan B for it yet.

But it felt to me today to have a distinct impact on the crowd. From 'just finished a pre match pint zingy excitement' to 'let's see how this complicated move 8 yards from our goal pans out'.

It's hard to get all Sankt Pauli when your arse is going.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s very simple, they get an acknowledgment back with a wave and thumbsup and feel all fuzzy inside.
Yes, and I expect they give the person sitting next to them a gentle smile.

Come on you happy clappers. Who are you and why do you want to make an opposing player feel good?

For God’s sake, if you have to do it, do it in the car park before or after the match

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Definitely. Everyone thinks someone else is doing it better.

Thought the ref helped and it became positive/toxic in the right way at some points 70+ minutes onwards due to combined fury.

I've been to goodison, anfield, old Trafford, St James, Selhurst and sat in virtual silence in all of them at one point or another.

I also think the nature of dezerbi-ball (sorry) can kill things a bit. It's not a criticism of it, but we came out flying and were really in their faces and then the training ground routines kicked in and we went to Dunk rolling it under his studs with his hands on his hips and playing square passes to Webster over and over again. This tends to happen in matches where we want to use that ta tic and the oppo squarely refuse to go for it. They just sat in a tight bank and waited. Its happened before and will happen again. Not sure we have quite cultivated a plan B for it yet.

But it felt to me today to have a distinct impact on the crowd. From 'just finished a pre match pint zingy excitement' to 'let's see how this complicated move 8 yards from our goal pans out'.

It's hard to get all Sankt Pauli when your arse is going.
Yep - for that part of the game it did go flat as we struggled to break through them. You're right - the nature of how we play can make it very slow if we can'tbreak through. As you say - not a criticism but we need a plan b I think in certain circumstances.
But then the game livened up a lot again second half- enjoyed the atmosphere throughout the second half. Shame the game ended as it did though

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Imho the problem is the singing section. Ironic i know.

The NSK are the only fans in the ground that consistently sing which is commendable. But they are so busy pushing their nonsense that virtually nothing they come up with catches on in the stand, let alone the rest of the ground.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
One thing I would say as someone who mostly goes away is that when things aren't going well, if we miss a few chances, if the opposition start play acting, if the ref is having a nightmare, our fans respond in a way that isn't particularly useful. It's not angry or aggressive, it's not about being positive and getting behind the team, it's just a bit meh and moany.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The Atmosphere is shit because the sound doesn’t travel, I sat under the police box for the Liverpool cup game, it always looks great in Ronald’s vlogs, but when I’m in WSU I can’t hear a thing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nature of the beast unfortunately. NSC used to froth at the mouth with the plastic Johnny come lately fans at Reading and how stale/boring it became after their move to the Madejski. The same has happened with the move to the amex.
Comes with the territory of PL status I’m afraid. Tourists a side, much of our support are so old they risk dentures falling out when singing. Then there’s the introverted Dadsnet types preoccupied with getting Flymo and Aubergina a hot dog; or having text “bantz” throughout with members of their Fantasy Football League. Meanwhile Generation Z are busy on their screens following other games or making videos of themselves to load up and get “hits” afterwards. If half the crowd are actually watching the game never mind joining in and generating some noise I’d be amazed. Still, our coffers have never had it so good and all are welcome and supporting in other ways.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Atmosphere is shit because the sound doesn’t travel, I sat under the police box for the Liverpool cup game, it always looks great in Ronald’s vlogs, but when I’m in WSU I can’t hear a thing.
I can hear it all game constantly but I am north end of WSU. I’d argue the atmo is far from shit. Can’t think of many grounds I’ve been to that are better than the Amex - can think of plenty that are worse though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, those moaning are prob the ones that offer a half arsed clap now and then and don’t passionately sing anything. Song along and get the atmo going 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here