Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere at the Amex comfortably the worst in the league

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
These words were sent to me by a colleague whose a sports journalist. ( and a Palace fan ! )
I'm in the North Stand and its usually noisy there but sections of the ground would make a library look noisy.

He has a point .

Tomorrow the difference will be the fans - Fulham are a complete side and possibly marginally better than us .

So are we going to make some noise tomorrow ?
Oh do put a sock in it... has it occurred to you that as a Palace fan he is obviously going to say that? The same as your average Albion fan would say that Palace's collection of 4 random cow sheds is the worst ground in the Premier Leage (mind you they would have a point). Or are you one of these annoying Croydon trolls who post a load of nonsense on here?

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The seagulls that came under the roof in mainly the NW corner did a good job of getting a few choruses of "Seagulls, Seagulls" going.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
One thing I would say as someone who mostly goes away is that when things aren't going well, if a team misses a few chances, if the opposition start play acting, if the ref is having a nightmare, football fans respond in a way that isn't particularly useful. It's not angry or aggressive, it's not about being positive and getting behind the team, it's just a bit meh and moany.
Edited for you.

I disagree anyway. I thought it actually made for a good and lively atmosphere second half especially.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Nature of the beast unfortunately. NSC used to froth at the mouth with the plastic Johnny come lately fans at Reading and how stale/boring it became after their move to the Madejski. The same has happened with the move to the amex.
It really hasn't. It could be better (so could most grounds in this country) but it really isn't that bad

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nature of the beast unfortunately. NSC used to froth at the mouth with the plastic Johnny come lately fans at Reading and how stale/boring it became after their move to the Madejski. The same has happened with the move to the amex.
From the cauldrons of noise previous to the Amex? I think some memories of the Goldstone atmosphere are like rose tinted hearing aids.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
If we're going to get that flag out it needs to be when the players are already out and RDZ can see it - not when half the North Stand are still drinking beer.

That said, it looked from the WSU like it was the same issue as the one that kills the atmosphere in the NS - the group under the scoreboard refusing to join in with anything that originates from the Police Box and vice versa. We should all be getting behind the team instead of having a willy waving contest. I'd love for someone from each group to come on here and defend themselves.
Having had an ST back of N1C and known a lot of the NSK fanbase they don’t have an objective to shout over the other songs, they just want an atmosphere. I would say that the noise doesn’t travel that well to either side as it’s not carried particularly well by the blocks in between. If the groups were closer together I don’t think it would be an issue.

On the atmosphere point in general, we are a small club in a big ground and we are in a very middle class county. We have the north stand at the very least which is essentially a singing section. All clubs in all the leagues suffer from the same issue. There are some grounds where noise is better than others either through ground infrastructure or just through the general demographic of fans (northern fans on average probably louder than southerners but again depends on which team and where you are sat in the ground).

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
If we really want a better atmosphere the club need to arrange a singing section

This is the ideal time with ST renewals going out now

Surely RDZ wants it louder. Hes a passionate fan himself and hopefully he can lean on PB and TB to create a better area in the north for all the singers and try to get an away game atmosphere created at home

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I think it would be fair to say this thread is Palace 1-0 Brighton.

8 pages for some shite a Palace bod has made up. I think NSC needs Swansman back more than it thinks.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Atmosphere is usually pretty decent in the North where I sit in N1G.

It would really help if the rest of the ground joined in other than with the "albion" chants. Feel like this was much better in early Amex days?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I can’t hear it all game constantly but I am north end of WSU. I’d argue the atmo is far from shit. Can’t think of many grounds I’ve been to that are better than the Amex - can think of plenty that are worse though 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, those moaning are prob the ones that offer a half arsed clap now and then and don’t passionately sing anything. Song along and get the atmo going 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah I don’t think it’s that bad, but I think the perception from some is the atmosphere is bad because it doesn’t travel. Down under the police box for the Liverpool game it felt like an away game atmosphere, but then others elsewhere said it was quiet.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If we really want a better atmosphere the club need to arrange a singing section

This is the ideal time with ST renewals going out now

Surely RDZ wants it louder. Hes a passionate fan himself and hopefully he can lean on PB and TB to create a better area in the north for all the singers and try to get an away game atmosphere created at home
Oh yes and let's force mandatory seat moves on people who've paid their money as they like that seat! FFS!

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Moving home STH's would sti mean they stay in the north. Just need to get singers closer together for the good of the overall noise levels

Sound doesnt even travel from one side of the north to the other. Let alone the whole stadium

Give the singers a chance to make the atmpshere incredible and other STH's priority over the rest of the NS seats

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have on occasion sat in the South and South/East stands.

The atmosphere in those stands is appalling, particularly if there's a half decent away section.
Their volume drowns out most of the noise coming from the North.

I would imagine those complaining about the Amex atmosphere are sitting within these areas.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I have on occasion sat in the South and South/East stands.

The atmosphere in those stands is appalling,

I would imagine those complaining about the Amex atmosphere are sitting within these areas.
Probably/possibly because a significant proportion of seats in the SE are club staff comp seats and other comp seats so not necessarily Albion/hardcore Albion fans, more given to family, friends, mates etc.

I’d doubt any of them post on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here