Ashley Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is a better player than CMS. Look how much we spent to get him. The last year of his contract is the problem with us getting a good price, not his ability.

He is not a patch on the ability of CMS if CMS is used right and despite being out for half the season was still our top scorer last season plus Barnes is coming up 25 so we would get nothing if he walked away.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Good to see all the usual Barnes haters on this thread, just to remind you he has been our top scorer for the past 2 seasons. So you would let him leave for peanuts and then spend millions on some-one maybe two who might not fit in as we have seen with previous strikers or take months to get used to our style of play ... mmm interesting then you would no doubt be slagging them off as well and then maybe seeing Ash in a more positive light

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

He is not a patch on the ability of CMS if CMS is used right and despite being out for half the season was still our top scorer last season plus Barnes is coming up 25 so we would get nothing if he walked away.

He doesn't get to 24 until the end of October.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good to see all the usual Barnes haters on this thread, just to remind you he has been our top scorer for the past 2 seasons. So you would let him leave for peanuts and then spend millions on some-one maybe two who might not fit in as we have seen with previous strikers or take months to get used to our style of play ... mmm interesting then you would no doubt be slagging them off as well and then maybe seeing Ash in a more positive light

I can't find the stats to check. but wasn't CMS our top scorer last season despite his lengthy absence.

And that isn't a dig at Ashley Barnes, whom I rate. I just rate CMS higher.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
£500k would seem a bit of a low estimate for a 23 year old striker who has a 1 in 3 goal scoring record in the Championship. Also, that would leave us with one fit striker.

I'd say the Mirror is up to its usual standard.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We have a history of letting players go cheap compared to similar players at other clubs. Exceptions of course but generally we seem to give in to cheap.

Barnes stats are very good , English , young. Proven to a point. Any other club / player in this situation would be a good 1.5 million.

I hate to admit it but, just look us compared to Palace: they ludicrously over-hype all of their young players right through their fans, coaching staff and board and as a result get vastly inflated fees. Us? We don't to anywhere near the same degree.

That said, we keep quiet about how good our players are because we want to keep them but then get stung when they go, Palace know they're going to go so make sure they then get £15m for Zaha when he's actually £5m tops

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd be extremely dissapointed is we lost him for 500k, Barnes has a guile and tenacity lacking in our squad overally. I've not seen many players that can change games like him just due to force of will.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
One of Our leading goal scorers for the last two years? Most natural finisher we have IMO

Problem we have is that he's out of contract in the summer.

We lost one centre forward (Murray) for nothing two years ago, and won't want the same happening again.

(a) Ulloa is by far the best finisher at the club
(b) Barnes is no Murray

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Evening all

I believe there'll be an article from Alan Nixon in Mirror tomorrow suggesting you've accepted a bid of £500k from us (Burnley) for Ashley Barnes. Even if true he may decline the move of course.

Sound likely?

Thanks.

Well, if it's in the Mirror, of course it's true...

We have one fit senior striker at present, and he's not Ashley Barnes. If the club was looking to sell, why offer him a new contract?

However, this is Brighton & Hove Albion. Anything can happen.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not so sure, Brighton fans would just find someone else to moan/pick on.

exactly this
Barnes has goal scoring ability (has been top scorer in past seasons when played at CF) IS ONE OF THE MOST ADAPTABLE PLAYERS WE HAVE EVER HAD.
500K you really are having a laugh

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
750k i say let him go.
FFP rules would mean that IF we spent 3.75 million out on a transfer and signing on fees ect on a 5 year deal then only 750k of that will coubt on this uears figures (or the price of Ashley Barnes). This is how Afc Bourmouth can spend 2.5 million as over the 5 years of that contract it equates to 500k towards this years figures.
I would like to see Oscar spend some cash on a forward he wants and if this is the way so be it.
I am firmly in the Ashley Barnes is a good player camp but i also know there is better players out there.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd be very surprised if he left simply because CMS won't be back in the equation for another month and Hoskins far longer

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd be very surprised if he left simply because CMS won't be back in the equation for another month and Hoskins far longer

Unless we're planning on signing another (poss better) striker?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I expect one of two things to happen:
If there is a realistic move to burnley on the cards, Chelsea will hijack it at the last minute, or
Real Madrid will get fed up with the Gareth Bale thing and realise our Ashley is a realistic alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports